Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kumbaya

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
The ultimate Star Wars game

will be on Wii

Imagine wielding your Wii controller as a lightsaber, whirling, jumping and slicing through imaginary foes...

It's going to happen

And Nintendo's going to sell more Wii's than [whatever you like to think of as a very very large number]

Why wouldn't Apple want in on that?

May the iForce be with you.TM

:)

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
I like the Sony or Sun Rumors better

It's not going to happen in any form ... no major mergers ... it will be as it has always been ... companies playing catch up to Apple or Apple releasing a better product to a market and blowing the competition out of the water.

I could see a partnership ... and honestly I don't see why Apple didn't embrace Sony with Virtual Game Station (PSX emulator for OS9) and just have all macs be able to play PS1 games out of the box.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
barcodebawtv said:
Like Apple, they do seem to have a similar philosophy of buisness

That may be true but not all similar businesses should merge or even collaborate. I think this "Mash-up" idea we are all exposed to lately (last 10 years) weather it be business or music is basically a result of exhaustion of creativity thorough it's own resources so they combine existing creative, instead of evolving new creative. It's not the case with these companies. Not only are they not running out of money, they are influencing their particular markets. Let them continue on that trend. The possibility of this, to me, is more valuable than a DS with an iPod interface or a Wii with a built in version of Safari.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
This may turn out to be more of a partnership than a true merger. What about Apple selling the Wii controller as an add-on to their systems and giving you the option of buying the games through the iTMS?

I think it would be cool.

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
Macrumors said:
Nintendo and Apple merger rumors surface from time to time, due mainly to the fact that the companies have very similar philosophies in their respective industries (ease of use, industrial design, boldness in the face of defeat, etc)…

:confused:

I have always thought Nintendo's industrial design sucked. Up until they started copying Apple anyway… *cough*DS Lite*cough*

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
kumbaya said:
will be on Wii

Imagine wielding your Wii controller as a lightsaber, whirling, jumping and slicing through imaginary foes...

It's going to happen

And Nintendo's going to sell more Wii's than [whatever you like to think of as a very very large number]

Why wouldn't Apple want in on that?

May the iForce be with you.TM

:)

And mummy and Daddy will like it as it gets there lard arse sons moving.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
You think they will sell the bread and butter that is Nintendo? The fanboys will cause riots when apple change up mario into a apple throwing two faced man thing.

Nintendo is still here buddy...fully loaded at that.

Bless

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
BRLawyer said:
Isn't Nintendo dead yet? Crappy consoles, crappy games...sorry guys, it's not gonna happen...unless Nintendo is sold with the same price as a bag of peanuts to Apple.

Seriously? Have you been living under a rock for a year? That is a really innovative controller that sony ripped off (poorly, by the way). They are not after the Halo playing gamers (though, the Wii version of Metroid looks like wicked fun), they are doing something revolutionary and going after the majority of people in the world who don't play games and trying to win them over as well as appeasing classic fans that just want to have fun. Not every gamer or potential gamer has to shoot things from a tank with their ever intuitive D-Pad w/ 8 buttons to entertain ourselves.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
BRLawyer said:
Isn't Nintendo dead yet? Crappy consoles, crappy games...sorry guys, it's not gonna happen...unless Nintendo is sold with the same price as a bag of peanuts to Apple.

Its going to be hilarious reading this post in 18 months, when Nintendo has more 'next-gen' marketshare than either MS or Sony.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
DavidLeblond said:
Next up: Apple to buy Starbucks? iCoffee? Ooo how about Apple buying the Gap to get into clothing!

I can write articles speculating about those too.

what about apple buying the century 21 real estate company?

Morpheus_

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
This is about as likely to happen as AOL and Time Warner getting together.

Oh wait....

Okay... this would be the biggest corporate mistake since the AOL/Time Warner merger, and Mr. Jobs is not dumb.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
A merger would likely only result in a company far less than the sum of its parts :(. While outwardly similar in their marketing of the products I'd wager behind the scenes the ethos of the two different companies varies dramatically.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Personally I can just see Apple developing games for the Wii. Then as the Wii starts to fade out for the Wii2 (aka, Sony :rolleyes: - copying Nintendo etc) Apple will try and stuff a Wii into a Mac system.

That I can see happening at some point.

golferjh3

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2004
US and A
Nintendo's a pathetic company that got muscled out of the industry they started. Apple shouldn't want anything to do with them.

At least they are trying something new with the "wii" controller.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
sparkleytone said:
Its going to be hilarious reading this post in 18 months, when Nintendo has more 'next-gen' marketshare than either MS or Sony.

Notwithstanding my previous remark, I do hope you're right, as it would be a good blow on Sony and MS...but Nintendo nowadays appeals to few people besides the faithful japanese, sorry.

A is jump

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
Fellas, this is a Page 2 Rumor... so keep that one in mind.

I dont have any real idea regarding the likelyhood of such a merger. But its a romantic idea to think about. Apples are the only computers I would buy, Nintendo makes the only game consoles I would buy. To have them as one company, or even just a really close working relationship, would be a big benefit to both companies. would help apple secure a foothold in the Gaming market, and help nintendo regain its lost ground, as well as increase their market, imagine games for the video ipod... combine that with the micro-optical goggles, and a modified version of the nintendo Wii controller!! that would seriously blow my mind.

who cares about the likelyhood, think of the possibilities.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
DavidLeblond said:
Next up: Apple to buy Starbucks? iCoffee?

I can see it now ...

Apple introduces ...

the iCoffee.

Smalls starting at just $3.00.

I would so go broke, even with my edu discount ... :cool:

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
thedude110 said:
I can see it now ...

Apple introduces ...

the iCoffee.

Smalls starting at just $3.00.

I would so go broke, even with my edu discount ... :cool:

Nah nah...what you forgot to think about...is the obvious one. An Apple Branded Computer/Coffee Maker. Talk about a perfect office accessory! Get your job done and have a coffee break too! :D

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
golferjh3 said:
Nintendo's a pathetic company that got muscled out of the industry they started. Apple shouldn't want anything to do with them.

At least they are trying something new with the "wii" controller.

please enjoy your thousand-plus dollar playstation 3 or xbox 360 set-up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.