Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Zzero0 said:
I thought they were buying Disney

Yea right.. do you realise how many companies Disney own?

More like Disney buys Apple. Apple could not possibly afford Disney.

Wii - that is an exciting console - cheap and good quality with plenty of innovation. It is far more attractive to me than the 360 or PS3.

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
This is retarded, Nintendo has a $22Billion market cap

This is retarded, Nintendo has a $22Billion market cap. Apple can't afford a hostile takeover at that amount, especially for a Japanese company.

Apple should buy Adobe, but wait until they can raise more cash and until the dust settles from the Macromedia merger.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I call B.S. on this.

The most likely scenario would be some kind of cooperation between the two companies that resulted in the Mini being able to play Wii games. But even that is technically questionable at this point, and it brings to mind some weird competitive situations that are not workable. Wouldn't that just set up a situation where Apple would eat up Nintendo's console sales? What on earth would Nintendo gain from that?

mozmac

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Austin, TX
While a merger like this could spawn some really great products, I just don't see it happening. They're so similar, that I don't see it happening. It's kind of like when you're little and they teach you that people all over the world are different. "If everyone was the same, imagine how boring the world would be." If you start dating a girlfriend who's EXACTLY the same as you, you start to grow tired of her, because you want some variety.

I don't know. I just somehow managed to compare Apple and Nintendo to elementary school and dating. Shows how much I know.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
this can only mean one thing:

iWii !!

Seriously, that would be really really really great, and although the odds are small, you can never tell.

I would prefer a fargoing partnership over a merge, a bit like Apple+Nike, but in the interest of gamers, not sporters

Way to go !!

Devie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd love to see a partnership between the two, nothing major though. Apple making games for Wii and DS or something. Maybe a Mac Mini Wii, like the Panasonic Q (DVD player with a GC built in). Or iPod DS? (Err hope not, just bought a DS Lite :D )

But the two companies deserve to be exist on their own merit, plus Nintendo being so darn old, can't see them wanting to merge anytime soon.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Zzero0 said:
I thought they were buying Disney
Why would Apple buy Disney? The rumor was Pixar selling out/being bought by Disney which is actually what took place. Jobs was CEO of Pixar as well.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
Not vuy, but license...

I thinks it's much more probable that they would get some sort of cross licensing deal going, rather than merge.

Apple get the rights to use Nintendo firmware legally. They sell an add on kit with software to boot and run natively (on PPC machines) Wii and GC games, and emulate older consoles - pretty much they get to put all the software of the Wii, including the Virtual Console, onto their machines. They also include a BT adaptor that functions as the IR receiver bar for the Wiimote (and the Apple remote as well). You have to buy your controllers from Nintendo, but all official Nintendo accessories would be available from Apple.com, and the main stuff in the retail stores, including 1st party games.

In exchange, Nintendo gets exclusive use of the iTMS infrastructure to power their Virtual Console sales. People who use iTMS on a computer can buy games through it, and it also functions as the backend for the Wii to connect to. Plus, Multimedia content (TV shows, etc) from iTMS could be played back on the Wii to a TV. This is good for Nintnedo since it would give them a format that MS/Sony don't have which is already immensely successful (well, the music part is, the video would be if you could watch it on your TV and it was widescreen DVD quality). It would give Apple an immediate installed user base for it's product in the millions.

Here's the problem with this scenario, though: Apple doesn't use PPC chips anymore, and that's what they'd need for a Nintendo compatible machine (at least Wii/GCN). They could still license emulators for the NES/SNES/N64 and build them into iTunes and do pretty much everything mentioned above though.

Now that I said that, that would ROCK. A Core Duo mini media center that can play DVDs, HDDVDs (likely BR, knowing Apple), connect to iTMS to get TV shows, music, AND classic Nintendo games... And, conversely, being able to connect to iTunes shares with a Wii and use it to watch video and play music through your HT setup would be excellent as well.

admford

macrumors member
May 13, 2003
Well before some kind of mini flame war breaks out between people who like Nintendo and people who don't, i'll try to get in my opinion on this rumor.

The full buyout of Nintendo should be impossible. The company is doing relatively well and it has a very promising product line (Wii and DS Lite). I understand that people believe that the possibility of the buyout is real if you look at the styling of the companies, but still the math doesn't work out.

Now consider this, even though the Wii doesn't have the high resolutions of the PS3, or possibly the power of even the XBox 360, it has two things going for it's self.

1. It's price. I understand that it hasn't been released yet or even had the price presented to the public, but it's reasonable to suspect a price of around 200-250 dollars.

2. A large franchise of games. Along with the usual next generation games, you can also download online various editions of NES, SNES, N64 games, you can play GameCube games, and also Sega announced that it will make it's own library of games (genesis and master system I think) available for download for the Wii.

Apple has experiance with online distribution of music and videos, and there are alot of people asking when Apple will make movie downloads available in the future. The problem is, that while the iPod's screen is good to view if you're on the road, but it's not ideal to view a 2 hour video comfortably. I know you can hook the iPod up to the TV with the new docks, but still.

Microsoft is pushing it's Media center approach by integrating it into it's new OS, and the XBox 360 in a way is replacing the Media Center PC by letting users view photos, videos and music on the TV from your own computer. It's a strong arguement that Microsoft is giving for people (considering the first media center pc's price).

Apple has something similar to the Media Center interface in most of it's current Macs, it's nice to use and easy on the number of buttons needed. The problem is, you need the computer to be physically attached to the TV for you to use it that way, while OK for Mac Mini's, other computers have their own screen's and it's a bit useless at that point. Apple has a good product called the "Airport Express" that let's you transmit audio to external speakers via a WiFi or ethernet connection. Apple could do something similar to produce a video version of this Airport Express. But then, video transmission, decoding, updatable Front Row like OSD, wifi and ethernet connectibility. It's alot, but not completely out of Apple's capabilities. But what do you get with that? Just something more complex than the normal Airport Express.

That's where the Wii comes in, in my opinion. Apple could develop a front row like interface that could be used for various multimedia functions. Like reading video and audio from an iTunes equipped PC or Mac. Along with the built in DVD player, the Wii could be an ideal substitute to an Apple product that maybe not everyone would buy.

So basically, I'd say that it would be more of a collaboration between Apple and Nintendo to bring some more advanced multimedia functionality to the Wii, to increase it's competitiveness with the XBox 360 and the PS3. Also hopefully creating a type of secondary halo effect that will move Mac sales with people hoping to have a more complete or trust worthy (usual problems people can have with PCs) experiance with the Wii and their computers.

Mac Mini that could play Nintendo's Wii games! What a LAUGH!

Macrumors said:

Stevens goes on to speculate that a Mac Mini that could play Nintendo's Wii games could prove to be a formidible match to Sony's Playstation 3 and Microsoft's XBox 360, since the Mini can also play high-definition video, edit music and photographs, surf the web, word process, and edit video.

Oh yeah, the Mac Mini, the one with with Intel Integrated Graphics.

Man that will really be a boost for both companies. Sorry but your Nintendo Capable Mac Mini won't play any REAL games, but you can play high-definition video, edit music and photographs, surf the web, word process, and edit video. That should be a huge draw in the gaming market.

Watch out PS3 and XBOX 360. You're doomed I tell ye! I think Sony should drop development of the PS3. There is no way they could compete against a Nintendo Capable Mac Mini.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
mojohanna said:
Why would Apple buy Disney? The rumor was Pixar selling out/being bought by Disney which is actually what took place. Jobs was CEO of Pixar as well.

New to these parts, I take it? :p

I think the OP was referring to the persistent and ridiculous rumors that Disney, Apple and Pixar were going to merge. Those went on for years in various permutations prior to the Pixar acquisition. It's sort of the yardstick by which all ridiculous rumors are measured.

The funny part is that, IIRC, Matt Drudge reported it a couple years back in a big, bold breaking news headline on his site. Needless to say, we Mac site regulars were snickering behind our hands at that one.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
eva01 said:
Once again i go back to a very old japanese company that would not have a merger of any kind with an american company. Not at least in my books

yeeesh:rolleyes:

tell us how you really feel.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
kumbaya said:
will be on Wii

Imagine wielding your Wii controller as a lightsaber, whirling, jumping and slicing through imaginary foes...

It's going to happen

And Nintendo's going to sell more Wii's than [whatever you like to think of as a very very large number]

Why wouldn't Apple want in on that?

May the iForce be with you.TM

:)

that input device is so lame. why would i want to jump all over and wave my hand about acting as if i had a freaken l saber in my hand? no way. i think its really silly. good luck to them though.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
beatle888 said:
that input device is so lame. why would i want to jump all over and wave my hand about acting as if i had a freaken l saber in my hand? no way. i think its really silly. good luck to them though.

I have to disagree. I would like to summarize something Gerard 't Hooft said, a dutch nobel prize winner in physics: in the near (or far) future, hardware will reach the quantum limits: even quantum computers can't avoid the laws of physics: the speed of light, the size of a quantum part, etc.
In the end, the hardware won't matter that much, but improvements will all consist in HOW we can use our computers. Now, we have to translate our ideas in the language of the software using keyboards, mice, controllers, etc.

With the coming of the Wii controller, we are given new possibilities, and with enough creativity from the game developers, this could be huge step forward in the communication between man and machine.

Sorry for the scientific/philosophical comments on a simple rumor, but I just thought I say it.

In short: the Wii rules !!

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
beatle888 said:
I bet you hate children and christmas too beatle888 ;).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Merger? Nah...

If anything, I could see joint projects or something:
- Nintendo licensing FairPlay to make their next Play-Yan iTunes/iTMS compatible and Apple adding Play-Yan support to iTunes (even though it's only an SD card to the Mac)
- Apple adding an export option to Quicktime Pro to export directly to Play-Yan compatible MPEG-4 video with all the right parameters for the Play-Yan (just like the iPod menu item).
- Make the Nintendo USB Wi-Fi dongle compatible with OS X.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
sam10685 said:
please enjoy your thousand-plus dollar playstation 3 or xbox 360 set-up.
Lets see here. I own a 360 Premium, 6 games, an extra wireless contorller, and a wireless connection thing for the 360 all while still under $600.

Nintendo fan boys are just as bad as Apple fan boys without the right knowledge.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
I don't think a merger is likely (Apple could not afford Nintendo), but a meeting of minds is a possibilty. Maybe Nintendo could show Apple how they produce a portable touch-screen device with a decent battery life ;)

supermacdesign

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2006
Ummmm

Don't beleive that for a second, thats a rumor based on nothing. Nintendo and Apple are two totally different companies that will never partner up. I love them both but come on.

joeyboy76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2003
Singapore
wishful thinking

i hope apple and nintendo partner up by:

1. apple creates a small device that sticks to the gameboy advance slot of the DS lite which will enable the gaming device to play itunes songs, photos and videos. this device would then be able to sync with a mac/pc thru itunes.

2. nintendo license the old games (all games prior to the game cube/game boy advance) to apple and let it be downloadable thru itunes. Apple will release a new program to be able to play these games on a mac. probably also release a USB controller for that.

3. the wii will have front row in its system and be able to stream songs/photo slideshows/movies from a mac in the same network.

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
cycocelica said:
Lets see here. I own a 360 Premium, 6 games, an extra wireless contorller, and a wireless connection thing for the 360 all while still under $600.

do u have a good quality HD tv that runs for about 1000 bucks right there? the nintendo will have killeer graphics and u wont need an HD tv. the 360 will look great on an SD tv but to get the full quality of the thing, u need an HD set. besides, even with an SD set, u said all that was under 600 bucks. with the nintendo, you'll be able to get more controllers, more games and wireless will be built-in all for less than the price of a core-system 360.

cycocelica said:
Nintendo fan boys are just as bad as Apple fan boys without the right knowledge.

u'd be surrprised at the knowledge i have about the Wii and the 360 and the PS3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.