Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TGDaily reports that Intel has announced a press conference on June 26th, presumably to officially launch its Xeon 5100 processor, aka "Woodcrest." The Xeon 5100 will be available in 6 versions according to the site, ranging from 1.6 to 3.0 GHz using 1066 and 1333 MHz Front Side Busses. All models will sport 4 MB of L2 cache.

An unverified MacRumors source had previously reported that their XServe shipment had been put on hold due to a back order of parts, and according to Apple the parts would not arrive until June 26th. This would seem to indicate that Apple plans on announcing its Intel-based XServe on or around June 26th. Of note, ThinkSecret has previously reported that the XServe was not due for release until July.

Exact specifications of the rumored Intel-based XServes are still unknown.

j_maddison

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2003
Nelson, Wales
No mention of the Powermac at the moment then. Could a 1.6ghz Woodcrest be used in an imac? I know its unlikely, but just curious to know if it could

Jay

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
I'd like an Xserve that's taller, same depth as Xserve RAID, and quieter. This would allow it to fit into standard rack cases, and appeal to the video & music crowd as well as this photographer.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
We have the current XServe running Oracle 10g at work and has been an excellent server. I look forward to this revision because we plan to purchase more of these. They provide a good cost / performance ratio.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
I beleive that a Dual 3GHz Woodcrest (so 4 cores and a total of 12GHz of horsepower under the hood) Would be an exceptional high end Powermac replacement. It might be 4500$.... but it also might be worth it...

Think about this...

Woodcrest is the high end version of Conroe (Core 2) offering approx 20% more performance over conroe....

It is showed that Conroe (Core 2) Chips already outpace the G5, even at lower frequencies.... I cant immigane How powerful Quad 3GHz Woodcrest Cores would be... And to pair it up with 4 or 8 GB of FBDIMM.... we will have a monster.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Those FSB's are getting nippy! I hope Intel can keep up with the new pace they've set themselves.

I'm itching for something with dual Woodcrests. My current dual Xeon (old architecture) 3.6GHz workstation suddently feels old :( It's not nice knowing that something so vastly superior is about to arrive!

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
BJNY said:
I'd like an Xserve that's taller, same depth as Xserve RAID, and quieter. This would allow it to fit into standard rack cases, and appeal to the video & music crowd as well as this photographer.

The Xserves are starndard 1U in height and do fit standard 1U racks.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Hmm..would have always thought the x-serve would be the last machine to go intel...

...need...quad..mac pro...!

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
jholzner said:
The Xserves are starndard 1U in height and do fit standard 1U racks.

I imagine he was referring to its depth, which is too large for some racks (which is not to say it's nonstandard). Hence the requirement that it be larger than 1U, to fit the components that would otherwise be spread out in that very deep 1U. I sympathize; our XServe is by a very large margin the deepest component in our rack. We could have gotten something a lot smaller otherwise.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
brianus said:
I imagine he was referring to its depth, which is too large for some racks (which is not to say it's nonstandard). Hence the requirement that it be larger than 1U, to fit the components that would otherwise be spread out in that very deep 1U. I sympathize; our XServe is by a very large margin the deepest component in our rack. We could have gotten something a lot smaller otherwise.

Nah, he said same depth. He's talking about the height.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Macnoviz said:
Can these be combined like in the current quad powermac? I heard they couldn't, but didn't get that confirmed

Woodcrest can, Conroe cannot. That is why Woodcrest now looks more likely to be used in the Mac Pro.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
crees! said:
Nah, he said same depth. He's talking about the height.

He said same depth as XServe RAID. XServe RAID is 18" deep; XServe itself is 28" deep. That can make a big difference.

BJNY

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2002
New York City
BJNY said:

brianus said:

brianus said:
He said same depth as XServe RAID. XServe RAID is 18" deep; XServe itself is 28" deep. That can make a big difference.

Thank you brianus for the assist :)
To be even more concise...
I want Xserve: 3U to 4U tall, same depth (18") as the Xserve RAID, and quiet, to fit into [travel] cases manufactured by Thermodyne or SKB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.