Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
When the Xeon's go into the Xserve who wouldnt want to own one, maybe get like 10 or so that would be pretty sexy, then put it in the corner of your room as your desktop, I can dream can't I. :rolleyes:

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
Yeah thatd be cool, except for the fact that the xserve doesn't have a display adapter.

What use would a typical user have for one xserve, let alone 10?

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
lamina said:
Yeah thatd be cool, except for the fact that the xserve doesn't have a display adapter.

Run a server... DUHHHHHH ;)

of course now the complication really is if the typical user knows how to run it ;)

crackpip

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
lamina said:

They don't come with one, but a VGA graphics card is an option for the upper PCI slot on the current xserves.

Oh, I'm drooling for these new machines. Santa, I'd like a quad woodcrest Mac Pro with 8 to 16GB of RAM with dual 30" displays. As a nice companion maybe 64 dual proc, xserves for my cluster needs with a pair of 7TB xserve RAID's. Thank you.

I'm trying to get my wife used to the idea of buying a computer system that costs as much as a house.

So far she's not on board...

crackpip

bbrosemer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
Can anyone joke gosh, and like someone said there is a VGA option, also who wouldnt want 10 if they could.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bbrosemer said:
Can anyone joke gosh, and like someone said there is a VGA option, also who wouldnt want 10 if they could.
They are noisy and use a lot of power. Of course, everyone wants 10 of them--heck, 100 Xserves to serve a library kiosks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.