Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thijsjacobs

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2006
I hope they will work together; that would strengthen both companies. I'd love to see Frontrow on a Wii. It could stream content via WiFi from the Apple computer near it.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
ive got to say that i hope apple keeps their damn hands
off nintendo...

i love both companies as separate entities... the last thing i
want is an iDS or a macWii...

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
iGav said:
You mean Nintendo's ability to rip off. ;)

i don't know about rip off iGav. i mean, Nintendo has paid quite a bit of credit to Apple for their new designs. they wanted to model the DS Lite after the iPod and the Wii after the Mac mini.

so maybe rip off isn't the word you want to use. how bout: inspiration. you may want to add that to your vocabulary ;)

now if anyone ripped off anyone, it was M$.

i could see the two companies getting together. not so sure of a merger, but it wouldn't surprise me since they are very similar to one another. this would give Apple a very good excuse to get back into the console market and switch back to PowerPC.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
progx said:
so maybe rip off isn't the word you want to use. how bout: inspiration. you may want to add that to your vocabulary ;)

Nah, inspiration would be giving far too much credit to Nintendo I'm afraid.

I'll stick with rip off thanks, though it's not just limited to the hardware so it would seem either. ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
iGav said:

I'll stick with rip off thanks, though it's not just limited to the hardware so it would seem either. ;)

Look to the PS3 for ripping off

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
golferjh3 said:
Nintendo's a pathetic company that got muscled out of the industry they started. Apple shouldn't want anything to do with them.

At least they are trying something new with the "wii" controller.

what's your claims on that? i would seriously like to know that since Nintendo is a $22 Billion company.

what? they had an off generation after dominating three straight console generations and the handheld market, so that makes them pathetic? i'm sorry you can't play GTA or Halo on a GC or DS, but Nintendo has something that MS and Sony don't have on their consoles: fun platform games! the high level of fun that's found in many of the Mario platformers and spin-offs and in many of Nintendo's other titles.

and you're telling me they're pathetic? yes, i am very sure they're just as pathetic for not having ultra-violent video games that just get boring after a while. i love GTA, wrestling and action games…but they don't compare to a good game of Mario.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
iGav said:

oh, so just like its giving too much credit to Apple for inventing the PC, just as Nintendo did with the home video game. ;)

yeah, that's giving too much credit.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
progx said:
oh, so just like its giving too much credit to Apple for inventing the PC, just as Nintendo did with the home video game. ;)

yeah, that's giving too much credit.

Which has nothing to do with ripping off the design aesthetics of another company. Though Nintendo isn't the only guilty party of this of course.

Really though... I should've learnt from previously experience on MacRumors, not to, in anyway shape or form be critical of Nintendo. :rolleyes:

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
actually i'm surpised these rumors have only surfaced now- considering the fact that Nintendo and apple have the same competitor in Sony's PSP (challenges ipod, and nintendo ds). apple wants to get in on the gaming market- sony and msoft have. naturally as pc's and console games evolve, they're becoming closer together in terms of capabilities, so naturally PC makers are in the position to capitilze on that fact. 10 years ago who'd have thought Sony and Microsoft would unseat Atari, Sega, and Nintendo as the dominant console makers. Nintendo's barely holding on. in the event the Wii flops, Nintendo will not survive to make a post-wii platform.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
Nintendo has gone on the record to say the day they sell their company is the day that they stop making games (i.e. bankrupt or sell the name and disband forever). I really don't think this will happen.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
nxent said:
actually i'm surpised these rumors have only surfaced now- considering the fact that Nintendo and apple have the same competitor in Sony's PSP (challenges ipod, and nintendo ds). apple wants to get in on the gaming market- sony and msoft have. naturally as pc's and console games evolve, they're becoming closer together in terms of capabilities, so naturally PC makers are in the position to capitilze on that fact. 10 years ago who'd have thought Sony and Microsoft would unseat Atari, Sega, and Nintendo as the dominant console makers. Nintendo's barely holding on. in the event the Wii flops, Nintendo will not survive to make a post-wii platform.

The thing is that Nintendo is EXTREMELY profitable. Yes, they be #3 in the console race, but they actually make a significant amount of money on each console sold. Additionally, they are really doing quite well on the handheld gaming market.

Yes, it's true that Nintendo isn't as "popular" as they used to be, but they are still doing well. It would take a lot for them to "close shop."

As for this so-called Apple-Nintendo rumor, I call hogwash. It ain't going to happen. Each of them are very protective of their IPs. Each of them have extremely tight control over their products.

w00master

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
w00master said:
The thing is that Nintendo is EXTREMELY profitable. Yes, they be #3 in the console race, but they actually make a significant amount of money on each console sold. Additionally, they are really doing quite well on the handheld gaming market.

Yes, it's true that Nintendo isn't as "popular" as they used to be, but they are still doing well. It would take a lot for them to "close shop."

As for this so-called Apple-Nintendo rumor, I call hogwash. It ain't going to happen. Each of them are very protective of their IPs. Each of them have extremely tight control over their products.

w00master

very true. i don't know about #3 in the console race this time since that still remains to be seen.

pedrov

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2006
thedude110 said:
I can see it now ...

Apple introduces ...

the iCoffee.

Smalls starting at just $3.00.

I would so go broke, even with my edu discount ... :cool:

how much would apple charge for black coffee? $200 more?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
progx said:
i could see the two companies getting together. not so sure of a merger, but it wouldn't surprise me since they are very similar to one another. this would give Apple a very good excuse to get back into the console market and switch back to PowerPC.

Why would they switch back to powerpc???
WTF.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
First off Nintendo and Apple are my two favorite companies.

Economically I don't think it can happen. But lets entertain a partnership on games. After all, Apple competes against Sony and MS just as Nintendo does. Plus Apple needs serious help in the gaming department, relying on handme-downs. There is a lucrative gaming market that Sony and MS are feeding off of.

Now the most obvious benefit to both companies is all games that run on Macs also run on the wii and all wii games run on Macs. Technically speaking they are two different beasts.

Running wii games on Macs: Games that take full advantage of the wii are too graphically intense to play on even a powermac let alone a mac mini. The wii was made for gaming and the Mac was made for photoshop. Even if wii games could run on a powermac, they still could not run on a mac mini with shared ram. Powermacs are sold to profesionals, not gamers.

Running Mac games on wii: Resolutions are different between the systems. The wii is made for sd tvs which are 480p only. Vary few games that come to the Mac run below 1024x768 so the Mac games that you play will be downsampled, you won't get the full game. The succesor to the wii will probably be 1080p, but that won't happen till at least 5 years from now. By then computer resolutions will be higher than today.

So as much as I would like to see Apple/Nintendo beat MS, drastic changes would have to be made to make it work. The most I could see benefiting from a partnership is a portable ipod/ds combo where they set the standards. The standards have already been set on tvs and computer monitors.

(sorry about reposting bits from other posts, I just wanted to see it all come together);)

n8mac

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
nintendo will struggle this bout and joining forces with apple aint gonna strengthen that situation

apple should start an iPlay with oranges division & buy into VR technology after all they are innovators

apple have either done something great or not done it at all, why would you want see them with a dying horse

i was led to believe the mac gaming scene was fixed overnight with boot camp. please say if you tink otherwise.

JimDoggy

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
Not a Chance

The thing about Apple and mergers is that it NEVER co-brands...have you EVER seen an Apple/anything on ANY product, EVER? No, you haven't. No one has. It doesn't happen. There's no Intel-Inside sticker on the outside of all the new Intel-processor Macs. The closest anhything comes to this is the mention of the non-Apple operating system running behind the iPods. But you have to hunt for that.

This'll never happen - not with two icons of the tech world. No way.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
JimDoggy said:
The thing about Apple and mergers is that it NEVER co-brands...have you EVER seen an Apple/anything on ANY product, EVER? No, you haven't. No one has. It doesn't happen. There's no Intel-Inside sticker on the outside of all the new Intel-processor Macs. The closest anhything comes to this is the mention of the non-Apple operating system running behind the iPods. But you have to hunt for that.

This'll never happen - not with two icons of the tech world. No way.

I believe Apple has some history of cooperating with other companies...I am too lazy to look up all of them but here are just a few of the recent ones...

Motorola ROKR E1

Motorola SLVR L7

Motorola RAZR V3i

Hewlett Packard "HPod"

Nike + iPod Sport Kit

While many of Apple's collaborations haven't been successful, the same can be said for some of their products (remember the Pippin?...oops thats another collaboration...). A partnership between Apple and Nintendo could be a great thing, assuming they could get past cultural differences, as both companies have assets that would benefit the other. That being said, I really don't think this would ever happen...

I know you are probably talking about other companies putting their brand on Apple products, (kinda like the HPod...) but I don't think Apple is adverse to this either if it increases the bottom line...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.