Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cboissel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
MA
So I'm going to by a Macbook in a few days and I was going to buy the 1GB upgrade, but i'm thinking that I should just do it myself, save a ton of $$ and get 2GB from like ram seeker.

I've never upgrade a computer myself
Should I do it?
Will it be a project?

thanks

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
cboissel said:
So I'm going to by a Macbook in a few days and I was going to buy the 1GB upgrade, but i'm thinking that I should just do it myself, save a ton of $$ and get 2GB from like ram seeker.

I've never upgrade a computer myself
Should I do it?
Will it be a project?

thanks

Well if you going to upgrade, go for the 2GB... Its a bit more now but if you might upgrade later. So then you will be left with a pair of 256mb and pair of 512, 512 could be sold for something but 256??

Also you should just keep your 256MB (will only get 30 for the pair if that), just incase you need to send it back to Apple since you need their ram in the machine. Usally you need one, but since it is dual channel might need both.

I pick up 2GB for 166 shipped from 18004memory, but notice its off ramseeker the next day.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
You can totally do it yourself. I wish I had known when I bought my macbook in store that I had other options for buying more RAM, then I wouldn't be out a hundred bucks. It is easy, just take the battery out, remove the L shaped bracket, pop out the old RAM, pop in the new RAM, put the bracket back on and then the battery!

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Glad you decided to do it yourself. Just be warned that pushing the ram modules in takes an inordinately large amount of force. You're going to think that you're going to break something, but that's the amount of pressure neccessary. Good luck... and enjoy that mac.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
panoz7 said:
Glad you decided to do it yourself. Just be warned that pushing the ram modules in takes an inordinately large amount of force. You're going to think that you're going to break something, but that's the amount of pressure neccessary. Good luck... and enjoy that mac.

Yea, that's true, you need to push pretty hard to get it in there. I'd use something blunt to push it in, cause your fingers are going to hurt if you use them. I used the back of a small screw driver. Before taking out the original RAM, just take notice of how far they are sitting in the slot, so you have some sort of clue where it should be.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Buy from newegg

This memory from Patriot has reviews from both Macbook and Macbook Pro owners as being compatible. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220078

Newegg is generally one of the lowest priced retailers around. Also you may be able to do one chip at a time, but you lose performance as the memory switches to single channel mode. Most intel desktops using Dual channel DDR2 that I have built worked in single channel mode.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
I just received my 2.0Ghz white Macbook thisTuesday. I placed a bid for 2GB RAM on ebay (with Omni Technologies) for $199.00-received the chips on wednesday.

The install was easy. The only problem was when I tried to boot my Macbook up---appearently I did not seat one of the chips correctly---I made sure the fit was tight and snug.

Now, my Macbook is fast!!!:cool:

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
I opted for the 1.83 because I wasn't too keen on the superdrive (too many horror stories...) did you notice a significant improvement from 512m to 2g? I know that sounds like a dumb question, but i'm wondering what things improved for you?

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I put 2GB into my MB and yes the second chip closest to the HDD took an incredible amount of force to get in, it was freaking me out at the time.

With 2GB in my 2Ghz MB it's so snappy and responsive it blows my mind. I thought I was giving something up when I bought it and sold my 12" PB, but I was wrong. This little baby is fantastic! Apparently it doesn't get as hot with 2GB of ram I've heard, but I'm not sure. It certainly doesn't seem to get very hot for me that I've noticed.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
i thought i was gonna break something pushing it in...first couple times i tried booting the machine it wouldnt boot and failed the POST. I thought I got defective ram and was on newegg to return it. Until it failed the POST for the 2x256mb that came with the machine as well, and then i shoved the two gig sticks in there like a ************ and it finally worked. Yeesh, my fingers were red by the end.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
to remove the plate (after removing the battery) can u just use a standard phillips head or do you need a smaller one? thanks

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
whawhat said:
to remove the plate (after removing the battery) can u just use a standard phillips head or do you need a smaller one? thanks
yeah. you know what works great? those tiny screwdrivers you see in those eyeglass repair kits. they're tiny and fit inside the battery bay well so you don't have to do any abnormal twisting or anything to try to get at the screws. Otherwise it's a phillips #0 screwdriver, to be picky.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
janey said:
yeah. you know what works great? those tiny screwdrivers you see in those eyeglass repair kits. they're tiny and fit inside the battery bay well so you don't have to do any abnormal twisting or anything to try to get at the screws. Otherwise it's a phillips #0 screwdriver, to be picky.

sweet - got me one of those - thanks so much!

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
In short, ordered the MacBook with the 1GB upgrade. Everything worked well until I launch Windows 2003 under Parallel. At that point, OSX came to a crawl.

Under 2GB of memory, both OSs are happy.

Also, for those interested, 1GB vs. 2GB for Mac apps shows a minor increase in performance. Under PPC, there would be no noticeable increase in performance, but I have noticed the Intel Macs A LOT more sensitive to the amount of memory available. Rosetta makes this an even bigger issue.

Max.

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
non apple RAM

are there any memory tests i need to run after installing my new non-Apple RAM? Just want to make sure I don't damage the computer.

Thanks

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
I would guess you could run Apple Hardware diagnostics, but I would say that if your MacBook comes up and reflects the correct amount of memory, then it is probably ok.

Of course, you could do a sniff test. If you sniff and smell smoke, something might be wrong...

Max.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
whawhat said:
are there any memory tests i need to run after installing my new non-Apple RAM? Just want to make sure I don't damage the computer.

Thanks

Just make sure you ground yourself to discharge any build-up of static electricity. As noted, I had difficulty seating the chips, your fingers to get red. That I was PARANOID of shoving too hard on the chips, appearently one needs to give it a shove to seat them properly.

Once you boot to OS X, you can always check on "about this mac" from the desktop. It'll give you a quick view as to the total RAM and some quick info on the chips themselves.

I too, noted that the Macbook was quicker with the additional RAM--the base RAM is too little!!

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
maxvamp said:
I would guess you could run Apple Hardware diagnostics, but I would say that if your MacBook comes up and reflects the correct amount of memory, then it is probably ok.

Of course, you could do a sniff test. If you sniff and smell smoke, something might be wrong...

Max.

:p :D After I installed my additional RAM (two days ago) and booted and the Macbook would not start I did this. I just briefly panicked. Once it "smelled ok" I went back to problem solve (it was a chip that was not properly seated).

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Be careful when you put the RAM chip in - if not done correctly, it will result in sub-atomic fusion and a catastrophic explosion. This is known as the Holtzman effect.

:D

Everybody's scared when they do their first RAM upgrade, but then they realize its a piece of cake.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
cardude280 said:
any recommandations of kinds of ram
only pc2-5300 ddr2 sodimms work in the macbook. (well, within reason...pc2-5400 sodimms work too..). as for brands, everyone has their own preferences. Just looking around on Newegg and making sure there's been good reviews about MacBook compatibility.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Crucial is typically the number one recommended 3rd-party RAM company through this site. I, personally, have a 1GB DIMM from Crucial for my 15 Rev D. PowerBook and I love it. I had 1GB Apple before, but then I added the second GB and it took the speed way up! For instance, I ran a little personal photoshop test (high-res image with just a radial blur at 100) and it took 5 minutes and 44 seconds with 1GB of RAM on a clean cache and reboot, then when I installed the second GB I ran the same test and it only took 48 seconds. I was largely amazed and happy for my purchase.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Crucial is crazy expensive.
2 gigs of semi-generic RAM known to work in MacBooks is roughly the same price as a 1gb stick from Crucial (~$130-180 vs. $140/150 on newegg, $170 on crucial.com)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.