Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
The place I am dealing with locally only sells the Toshiba.

That being said, I spoke with another place; who sells a Sharp, Samsung, and Toshiba. They are "interchangeable" and Dell used all 3 in the particular laptops that carried them. However, its about impossible to find specs for each panel.

Im beginning to question if 1900x1200 is "too much" for a small 15.4. Wonder if I can find a 1680x1050 panel...

-rich

vv-tim said:
baxter, I'm thinking you're right about the Sharp. You said it was a Dell screen, right?

All the Dell screens on eBay are Sharp models (except the 17" ones, they're LG).

I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap ones on eBay (that have some kind of "border effect") to try out before paying $200+ for a good screen to find it doesn't work :p

But if the guy above tries it out on his MBP and it works, then I'll just jump right into happiness :)

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
RichP said:
The place I am dealing with locally only sells the Toshiba.

That being said, I spoke with another place; who sells a Sharp, Samsung, and Toshiba. They are "interchangeable" and Dell used all 3 in the particular laptops that carried them. However, its about impossible to find specs for each panel.

Im beginning to question if 1900x1200 is "too much" for a small 15.4. Wonder if I can find a 1680x1050 panel...

-rich

Well, the benefit of having the 1920x1200 is that if you want to play games in high-res (or work in high-res) you can. If you want to downscale to 1680x1050, that's not a problem either. On the other hand, if you buy a 1680x1050 lcd you can't upscale to 1920x1200 when you want to.

However, there are several 15.4" models on eBay if you're interested. It looks like a new (good) LCD is going to run you about $225. It's about $20 cheaper for WSXGA+ than WUXGA (for all the Buy It Now deals anyway).

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
RichP said:

-rich

I have been using mine for a couple of days now and find it to be perfectly acceptable. If you find text is too small to read - it's very easy to scale almost any text to a size that is perfectly readable. However I haven't really had the need to. As although the text is small it is still very sharp and easy on the eyes. However if you are a bit hard of sight this panel can be used in a number of different modes:

1600 x 1000 - very readable with very little degredation of quality and still a reasonable amount of real estate (pretty close to 1680 x 1050).

1344 x 840 - Still good but for the most part you won't need to run below 1600 x 1000.

There are a number of others if youo need a particular compatible res the complete list:

640 x 480
640 x 480 (stretched)
800 x 500
800 x 600
800 x 600 (stretched)
960 x 600
1024 x 640
1024 x 768
1024 x 768 (stretched)
1280 x 800
1280 x 960
1280 x 960 (stretched)
1344 x 840
1344 x 1008
1600 x 1000
1600 x 1200
1920 x 1200

I use mine solely on native res and am very happy with it but for the last few minutes have been using 1600 x 1000 and no complaints whatsoever. With the pixels being so small you don't get that horrible effect when you scale down most lcd from their native res. Still very sharp and clear.

If your unsure however - try a pc with this screen in it. PC's don't use the same font type/smoothing that mac's do but at least try to imagine that screen on your mac:)

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
1920x1080? Too small. I want my UI buttons to be only a few pixels big. Now give me 2560x1600 on my macbook and we can start talking.

But seriously, I either want the option of different resolutions in my laptops or a completely rez independent OS, but 100+ dpi is crap on a laptop IMO.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
slffl said:
1920x1080? Too small. I want my UI buttons to be only a few pixels big. Now give me 2560x1600 on my macbook and we can start talking.

But seriously, I either want the option of different resolutions in my laptops or a completely rez independent OS, but 100+ dpi is crap on a laptop IMO.

I can understand that but I'm sure there are quite a few people out there who think differently. But your reasoning is most likely why Apple haven't put this type of screen in there notebooks yet. Having said that it is very nice and very very usable. I love every minute of using this laptop and having the ability to scale the screen makes it perfect for use by just about anyone. You can use it a lower res and then bump it up when you need it. I like being able to have a web page open and be writing a document and not have have them hiding one another, plus having itunes open and whatever else and be able to see what is going on without having to use expose. 1600 x 1000 is a very good compromise between the two - like having a 17" without the added mass of a 17".

Each to their own though.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
slffl said:

Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean everyone else won't.

I had a 17" screen on my VAIO at 1920x1200 that everyone complained about, but I have good eyes and I love high resolution displays. As both baxter and I already said, you can downscale the resolution as you need it. Theoretically, you should be able to scale it to 1680x1050 as it is a 16x10 ratio as well (proper widescreen format on LCDs is 16x10, not 16x9 like movies).

I plan on thorougly enjoying my new screen real estate when I upgrade to WUXGA.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
I took the plunge and ordered a WUXGA screen off eBay from a Dell Precision M70 laptop.

Hopefully it'll get here by Friday or so and I'll let everyone know how the installation into the MBP goes.

I've got my fingers crossed... hopefully this will be a high quality LCD since the Dell Precision line is mega-expensive (they have Nvidia Quatro cards and things for 3D rendering).

One of the sellers on eBay is selling screens with a "border defect" that has the outside of the screen lighter/darker than the rest of the screen, so keep an eye out for that on used screens. The new screens run you over $100 more on eBay, so... it's up to you. I'm hoping this one holds up to the sellers description of "perfect" (and that it works in my MBP!). I love the screen on my MBP now -- quality wise -- it looks excellent... I'm just really looking forward to that screen real estate (which was my only reservation in buying the MBP, in fact, it was the deciding factor in getting a MBP over a Macbook -- luckily, you can't upgrade a 13.3" LCD to anything higher that WXGA right now, so I'm not tempted to downgrade).

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Tim,
What search criteria are you using to find screens? I have looked to little avail.

I have become quite knowledgeable on this junk the past 2 days, shoot me a PM if you have questions.

vv-tim said:
I took the plunge and ordered a WUXGA screen off eBay from a Dell Precision M70 laptop.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
RichP said:
Tim,
What search criteria are you using to find screens? I have looked to little avail.

I have become quite knowledgeable on this junk the past 2 days, shoot me a PM if you have questions.

I just type in "WUXGA" into the eBay search. After that it pops up with a few WUXGA laptops and the rest screens. You can filter out the laptops by choosing "Laptop Parts/Accessories" on the left.

Most of them are 15.4" WUXGA screens, but there's an abundance of used 17" ones from one seller at the moment.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Well I'm glad my experiment has helped some people. I should have posted this stuff sooner I suppose as I have known that these screens work for quite some time - I've been spending most of my time trying to get the thing installed to really show that it can be done. You try shoe horning a 15.4 panel into a 15.2 hole. Thankfully for Apple released the MBP with 15.4 and I guess the rest is history. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you but I have good faith that it'll work out very nicely - and it's totally reversable. If you have any problems with the machine swap back the old panel and away you go. Of course I really shouldn't be condoning voiding your warranty but... who is really going to know? Just make sure all screws are in place etc.. and all should be well in the world. Good luck.

Oh and if anyone wants to ask me anything directly you can PM me but I will also be checking in to see how things are progressing. It sounds as though there are other people who know what they are talking about when it comes to this kind of mod but if anyone still wants me to do a pull apart on my machine I'm more than willing to do so on Friday. But let me know that you need it otherwise I'm just wasting my time and I only just got the thing back together:)

Interesting fact - I haven't wanted or needed to turn on my quad since I got this back together, I'm more than happy to use my pokey old G4 powerbook just to be able to use this screen. I think I might get rid of my Quad and get a MBP:)

I seem to recall that the intel/rev c imacs switched to an lvds cable for the display. Can anyone confirm this - if so my next machine might indeed be an imac 17 cd with 1920 x 1200 display which can then also be processor upgraded, which in turn makes the imac a very upgradeable machine - upgrade the HDD the RAM (only 2GB tho) upgrade processor and finally the screen. That would be a very cool machine though - Any thoughts?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
I seem to recall that the intel/rev c imacs switched to an lvds cable for the display. Can anyone confirm this - if so my next machine might indeed be an imac 17 cd with 1920 x 1200 display which can then also be processor upgraded, which in turn makes the imac a very upgradeable machine - upgrade the HDD the RAM (only 2GB tho) upgrade processor and finally the screen. That would be a very cool machine though - Any thoughts?

Sounds interesting. I've wanted an iMac for quite some time (mostly because it was so much cheaper than a MacBook Pro) but I came upon some money at one point and time and just went and blew it on the MBP.

As for voiding my warranty... I already switched out the hard drive (and someone has apparently stolen the original off my desk) and reapplied thermal paste, so I'm sure it's technically "voided" already... so I'm up for it ;)

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Just having a quick look at the iMac - the cable is the same as the PB/MBP there is however 2 x inverter connections. Has anyone seen this sort of arrangment before? I've never taken apart a 17" PB before because Apple only replace the whole display assebly - they don't take it apart to replace inverters etc... They replace the whole thing. Might check ifixit...

Nope nothing either - but their manuals are derived from the Apple ones. Oh well will keep looking.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Okay, so both MBP's and the 17" iMac can be upgraded to 1920x1200. Is there any time soon when a 1920x1200 will be available for 13.3"?:D I wouldn't get it though, but it would be sweet just knowing it can be done. BTW, i imagine this:
17" iMac
1920x1200
2.33 GHz Core Duo (or a Merom)
256 MB X1600 (can be done, and if not upgraded to an X1900:D )
4 GB 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM
750 GB 7.200 rpm. HDD
Sweeett....:p

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
baxter, been looking around..HP in some laptops had a dual-lamp system in their 17" notebooks for increased brightness; the imac may have the same?

I am sitting here torn between 1920x1200 vs. 1680x1050 for my 15.4" MBP. The dot pitch on the 1920 is VERY small, comparable to those ultrasmall sonys that are barely readible.

josias, in a 13.3" widescreen, your resolution is the only one any manufacturers make currently :-(

majorp

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2005
UK !!!
can someone with a 20" iMac do a fullscreen screenshot with a few apps open (iTunes etc) and then shrink the image to 1440x900 just so we can have a rough idea of the space you gain :)

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
Josias said:
Okay, so both MBP's and the 17" iMac can be upgraded to 1920x1200. Is there any time soon when a 1920x1200 will be available for 13.3"?:D I wouldn't get it though, but it would be sweet just knowing it can be done. BTW, i imagine this:
17" iMac
1920x1200
2.33 GHz Core Duo (or a Merom)
256 MB X1600 (can be done, and if not upgraded to an X1900:D )
4 GB 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 RAM
750 GB 7.200 rpm. HDD
Sweeett....:p

Didn't know you could upgrade the video as I was under the impression it was soldered onto the logic board:confused:

Any links on how it can be done?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
vv-tim said:
Just because you don't appreciate it doesn't mean everyone else won't.

I had a 17" screen on my VAIO at 1920x1200 that everyone complained about, but I have good eyes and I love high resolution displays. As both baxter and I already said, you can downscale the resolution as you need it. Theoretically, you should be able to scale it to 1680x1050 as it is a 16x10 ratio as well (proper widescreen format on LCDs is 16x10, not 16x9 like movies).

I plan on thorougly enjoying my new screen real estate when I upgrade to WUXGA.

I know there are people who like it, but I don't want apple putting in high rez screens just for the 'specs'. I need my laptop to be very versitile and that include being able to see it when it's not on a desk 3' from me.

And changing the resolution is out of the question. Do you not notice the image quality difference between native and non-native rez?

Basically my point is a higher rez does not make it better, there can be too-high of rez (well until a completely rez independent UI comes out).

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
slffl said:
I know there are people who like it, but I don't want apple putting in high rez screens just for the 'specs'. I need my laptop to be very versitile and that include being able to see it when it's not on a desk 3' from me.

And changing the resolution is out of the question. Do you not notice the image quality difference between native and non-native rez?

Basically my point is a higher rez does not make it better, there can be too-high of rez (well until a completely rez independent UI comes out).

I'm not sure how much notebook shopping you do... but WUXGA is rarely, if ever, included by default. It's always an upgrade.

I assume if Apple did offer it, they'd offer it as such.

And noone here is advocating Apple putting the WUXGA screens in the laptop. We're talking about doing it ourselves.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
vv-tim said:
...We're talking about doing it ourselves.

Keep us updated vv-tim, I can't believe I'm even thinking this - but I may do the same thing when I grab a MBP in the coming months.

Heck, I'd be tempted to do it on my 15" Al Book, but i need a working latch.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Ok, some good news and some bad news...

The good news is I managed to tear apart my LCD and put it back together without damaging anything.

The bad news is that the LCD used in the Dell Precision laptop is NOT compatible. This is an LG Model LP154WU1.

First off, the inverter is stuck to the plate of LCD and is terribly hard to remove.

Second, there are brackets on the top that I can't seem to remove either. They'd need to be cut off some way.

Third, the inverter uses a different connector cable for power (to the main cable, not from the bulbs-> inverter). This wouldn't be a problem if the main cable were fine, but the part that connects to the logic board uses a different connector than the MBP.

While I'm kinda sad that it cost me $200 to find this out (and from hacking away, the Dell LCD really isn't in that great shape for resale at the moment)... I'm glad I managed to get the MBP together performing perfectly with the normal LCD ;)

I shall not give up! brax! Can you take apart that baby that you have and shoot some pics of the inverter and the connector to the logic board? And if you could get us the model number, that would be awesome!

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
I'm sorry you're not having much luck. I can see the thing working though it may just require more modification. I will shoot some photo's tonight because I wan't to pull it apart again anyway to mess with some of my other mods (hinges ant etc...) so will post pics. Those tabs are a little tricky but can be removed with a little persistance. The inverter is a curiosity - do you have any pics? because I've never ever seen an LCD with a different inverter connection apart from that iMac 17" but the only diff there was it used 2 but they were still the same connector.

Will post pics asap but some pics of your panel would be greatly appreciated then we can start to work out a list of compatable panels.

I think from memory this is the panel I have

http://cgi.ebay.com/TOSHIBA-15-4-WUXGA-LAPTOP-DISPLAY-LCD-LTD154EZ0D-B_W0QQitemZ6867974796QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42189QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this one looks compatable and has a better photo. http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Latitude-D800-15-4-WUXGA-LCD-inverter-LTN154U1L01_W0QQitemZ6891789600QQihZ013QQcategoryZ42187QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe the MBP uses a different inverter connection not the panel. I will look into that for you asap too.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
MBP Inverter connection looks the same so should be quite easy to adapt. One thing you should try and test - if you wanna pull your machine apart again that is - have you tried pugging the new panel in (without inverter) and put a light behind the screen? You should see picture as the inverter only runs the backlight. This would be an important test because there isn't much point in continuing if the panel will not work at all. I really need a pic of the screen you have though.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
MBP Inverter connection looks the same so should be quite easy to adapt. One thing you should try and test - if you wanna pull your machine apart again that is - have you tried pugging the new panel in (without inverter) and put a light behind the screen? You should see picture as the inverter only runs the backlight. This would be an important test because there isn't much point in continuing if the panel will not work at all. I really need a pic of the screen you have though.

When I was testing it out (as best I could) I believe I could see some change in the screen (while very faint). I didn't try putting a light behind the panel, though that would probably be a good idea.

Maybe tomorrow morning I'll give it a try again.

Strangely enough, that Toshiba model you linked me to is almost the same price I paid for the Dell Precision crap... hah.

I'll take some pics and upload them to my host in a few minutes.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Here's two shots of the screen and the inverter connector. Note the extra-long inverter as well. There's no way it'll fit where the current MBP inverter is stored.

Also, the logic board connector that isn't seen very well in the pictures has a tag that says:

"DAQ00 15.4"
P/N: DC02507291L
MAR.02.2006
FOXCONN REV 1.0"

Another update: It's the same connector as seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 470
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 413

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
vv-tim said:
Here's two shots of the screen and the inverter connector. Note the extra-long inverter as well. There's no way it'll fit where the current MBP inverter is stored.

Also, the logic board connector that isn't seen very well in the pictures has a tag that says:

"DAQ00 15.4"
P/N: DC02507291L
MAR.02.2006
FOXCONN REV 1.0"

Another update: It's the same connector as seen here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Do you have a pic of the end of that red and black cable?

vv-tim said:
Strangely enough, that Toshiba model you linked me to is almost the same price I paid for the Dell Precision crap... hah.

The Toshiba panel is from a dell - or that is where mine was supposed to be from. Did you notice in the ad for the samsung that he mentions it may be compatible with Apple?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.