Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PA
...It's Supposed to Sound Like?

1) Here's a video of someone with a diassembled Macbook showing the 'mooing' sound (turn up the volume to hear it).
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4490733167064230159&q=macbook+mooing

2) here's an .m4a (it was posted below) of another different kind of 'moo' sound.
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~chrispl/Moo.m4a

I personally experience the sound of #1 at certain other temperatures while performing different various operations. It's not constant and not noticeable when other sound (music, tv, PC fan) is present. I consider this normal/fine.

What do you guys/gals experience and do you consider it 'horrible mooing' or 'normal/fine'?

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I have the 2.0 GHz MacBook and hear the "mooing" demonstrated in the Google Video, but it's not horrible. I wouldn't say it's normal or fine either, but I'm usually able to ignore it.

Big_Baby_D

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2005
I woke up this morning, opened the door to the deck, opened up the macbook that I got on Wednesday and heard a moo. I thought "oh crap", I got one that moos. Turns out there was a cow in a trailer out back. I do live in small town Iowa. I just thought it was funny.

My macbook does not moo. I feel lucky.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PA
Big_Baby_D said:
I woke up this morning, opened the door to the deck, opened up the macbook that I got on Wednesday and heard a moo. I thought "oh crap", I got one that moos. Turns out there was a cow in a trailer out back. I do live in small town Iowa. I just thought it was funny.

My macbook does not moo. I feel lucky.

haha. i was listening to the .m4a of the mooing in itunes (and since i have the crossfade playback feature on) at the end of that sound clip it faded into chris brown's Gimme That.. i thought for a second 'damn, glad mine doesnt do that.."

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
The fan on this macbook does sometimes get into the habit of turning off and on like what is shown in the video, but unlike those recordings it sounds like a faint breathing sound rather than a moo.

I feel sorry for anyone who has a macbook "moo" that sounds like the one in that audio clip. Yeesh.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
LOL... it actually does sound like a cow! I thought people were kidding about it actually sounding like a moo!

Thank goodness my macbook doesnt do that :D

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
I'm suspecting that this will all be fixed when apple realizes it and comes out with a firmware patch. What i dont realy get is why apple missed the boat in the first place. Mayby its posible because they did not relize how hot the intel chips get and were trying to keep the fan from runing as much as posible in order to keep the quite mac computing experience mac users are used to in the past with the powerpc chips. Also its posible they wanted to keep the fans from runing as much as posible in order to improve battery life. Thus the set the threshold level in the fans firmware at wrong interval creating the constant on off fam motion.

Interestingly enough I have a kenwood mini stereo that has a fan it in and guess what it moos too. They fixed the problem by coming out with a new model for new purchases and I believe for the people that sent their curent model to repair were they upgraded the firmware in the system. I didnt bother because I was given a component receiver and cd player for christmas not long after so I no longer used the mini stereo.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
WillMak said:

this link isn't working for me, at least it doesn't give me an audio file, just a lot of jumbled up letters and such.....what format is this in and what do I need to get it to play??

edit; ok, got it to work with firefox and itunes, safari didn't open it or give e any options, it just loaded a page of jumbled text

cdinz

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2006
Macky-Mac said:
this link isn't working for me, at least it doesn't give me an audio file, just a lot of jumbled up letters and such.....what format is this in and what do I need to get it to play??

edit; ok, got it to work with firefox and itunes, safari didn't open it or give e any options, it just loaded a page of jumbled text

Here is another Mooooing audio file: http://www.appledefects.com/media/moo.mp3

And here is the thread from Apple Discussions Forums:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=520190

I observe this Moooing sound on my MacBook(2 GHz White - 2GB RAM) too...here is what I have posted in the Apple forums:

My MacBook mooooos everyday...and as you all have observed, it starts between 68C - 70C. The other thing I observed is that at this temp, the apps that are running freeze very frequently and the beach ball starts spinning. BTW I don't run any resource hungry apps.

Is anyone else observing the freezing of apps at this temp?

And this is exactly what I hear:
http://www.appledefects.com/media/moo.mp3

and and also I installed Windows Vista and when my MacBook heated up, I heard the fans running at full speed continuously for some time and I did observe that the system cooled down. Hope I had a temp. monitor program in Vista

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
chairguru22 said:
...It's Supposed to Sound Like?

1) Here's a video of someone with a diassembled Macbook showing the 'mooing' sound (turn up the volume to hear it).
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4490733167064230159&q=macbook+mooing

2) here's an .m4a (it was posted below) of another different kind of 'moo' sound.
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~chrispl/Moo.m4a

I personally experience the sound of #1 at certain other temperatures while performing different various operations. It's not constant and not noticeable when other sound (music, tv, PC fan) is present. I consider this normal/fine.

What do you guys/gals experience and do you consider it 'horrible mooing' or 'normal/fine'?

I have a 2 GHz MacBook.
Have had no "mooing". The fan comes on rarely. Average temp ~94 degrees F

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
gloss said:
Mine moos like that second one, but only rarely.

The only strange sound my 2 GHz Macbook makes is when I copy a file to another location - it makes a "sproing" sound (like a spring). Man, how do I turn that off!?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
jagolden said:
The only strange sound my 2 GHz Macbook makes is when I copy a file to another location - it makes a "sproing" sound (like a spring). Man, how do I turn that off!?

haha, that's an intended "feature." :) I like it, myself. My macbook does moo starting at ~66 C, but it could be a lot worse. It really sounds just like a fan, not truly like the moo that some people have. Man, some of these macbooks really do sound like cows!

Anyway, I'm confident apple will fix this with a firmware update.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 31, 2006
PA
QCassidy352 said:
haha, that's an intended "feature." :) I like it, myself. My macbook does moo starting at ~66 C, but it could be a lot worse. It really sounds just like a fan, not truly like the moo that some people have. Man, some of these macbooks really do sound like cows!

Anyway, I'm confident apple will fix this with a firmware update.

i would like to know how to get rid of those sounds too? annoying and bad design IMO that you can't option for those sounds to be off.

my fan kicks in at around 70C it seems and I do believe a firmware would fix this, not sure if apple will make one though.

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
MattG said:
Maybe Apple just needs to release a black and white "cow" themed MacBook and people won't complain as much :eek:

Not a bad idea ... after all, they are presently knee-deep in all things black and white.

daveaudio

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2006
My Macbook has not mooed. I have heard the fans kick in occasionally when it gets hot but nothing that sounded like a moo. hahhahhaha

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Mine moos when the room I have it in gets too hot. So people without moos may simply live in well AC'd homes :cool:

I predict this winter everyone's MB will have mysteriously stopped mooing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.