Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new section on the iTunes Music Store home page, with a heading of "Made in iTunes," has appeared in the stores for some countries.

It appears that Apple is adding them country by country. As of the start of Tuesday June 20 (midnight Pacific time), 11 of the 21 stores showed the new section in the bottom right corner of the home page. So far, the section is empty in all stores, with only its heading showing.

The section title is "Fatto da iTunes" for Italy, "Hecho en iTunes" for Spain, and "Made in iTunes" (English) for all other stores.

Countries with the new section as of the time of this posting: Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.

Countries without a Made in iTunes section: Australia, Austria, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Luxembourg, UK, and USA.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The graphic:

Attachments

• Made-In-iTunes.png
    Made-In-iTunes.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 22,078

dbw784

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2006
it means apple's going to get sued again! settlement with apple corps specifically prohibits entry into music biz. court found itunes in compliance, since it is merely a retailer. once apple starts signing/distributing/marketing their own musicians, the apple corps will pounce again. let's hope they know what they're doing.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
dbw784 said:
it means apple's going to get sued again! settlement with apple corps specifically prohibits entry into music biz. court found itunes in compliance, since it is merely a retailer. once apple starts signing/distributing/marketing their own musicians, the apple corps will pounce again. let's hope they know what they're doing.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm wondering about, too. Steve may have used his magic to negotiate, however... :)

Staffroomer

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2005
It's probably going to be some kind of way for unsigned bands to post their music free. This wouldn't make Apple open to any litigation... If they charged musicians, they would act as a label. This they could get sued for. Free with no contracts? That's not a music label.. No case.. :rolleyes:

They can't get sued for podcasts, can they?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Not in the US store for me anyway, but how long has that "Free Downloads" box been hiding down in the lower left? I'm of course aware of the Free Single of the Week, but it also includes a "Discovery Download" -- is this really old news that I just missed, or something new?

As for the "Made in iTunes", if it's a way for free music distribution by garage bands, then today will mark the begining of the end for the stranglehold huge record labels have on music distribution. They'll always be around as marketing machines die hard, but the first step was the relative ease with which an indie band can get on iTunes through 3rd party services, and the 2nd step would be uber-easy access for the up-and-coming.

At that point, if iTMS popularity continues to grow at the current rate, there won't be much need to sign with a major label in a few years. Nobody bands will have a forum to get started, those good enough who want funding will get just as much exposure with a little label as a big one, and those who go indie will be able to stand next to the big guys.

I don't think it's good for the iTMS to be too powerful, but really its going to take one equal opportunity "everybody knows it" service to get things rolling. That, and watching Apple kick around the RIAA labels is ever so sweet.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
FYI, I believe indie artists can already bypass the conventional labels and get onto iTunes, via services like RainDog and CDBaby.

J-Squire

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2003
Australia
iTunes 6.0.3

When Apple announced the iPod nano/Nike+ kit, wasn't there a mention on the site about iTunes 6.0.3 being available for download soon?

Has this been released yet? Perhaps this could be part of that update.

EDIT: Just checked the Nike + iPod site (http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/sync.html) and confirmed that is states that it requires iTunes 6.0.5 (not 6.0.3 like I thought) which is said to be available soon

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Seeing the i-Mixes are getting too burdensome to find anything this may be a new user sharing system.

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
I think we'll have to wait and see, but what strikes me most is the wording: it's not made FOR iTunes, but IN iTunes, so the most logical meaning, bands releasing iTunes-only albums might not be it. Also strange to add a blank tab in iTunes, with no reason at all.
I'll be watching this closely

On the bright side: finally something in Belgium you don't have in the US/UK or any other video buying country.
Maybe that's got something to do with it

Any connection between those two? video on made in iTunes?

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
dbw784 said:

unless they are demo songs or give-aways, no?

isn't it great that the mac community gets all excited just because of 3 words?

when was the last time this happened in the pc world?

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium
redAPPLE said:
isn't it great that the mac community gets all excited just because of 3 words?

when was the last time this happened in the pc world?

Introduction of Windows 98: "PLEASE RESTART SYSTEM"
(ah, BSOD's in public are so great, especially on Windows events)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.