Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'm acquiring a MBP in a few days, and I was looking into purchasing an external HDD for back-up.... ing?

Anyway, I don't really want to spend any money (who does?) and I thought to myself, "Self, you've got a 160GB drive in your PC that you can use!"

I figure that I can partition off 80GB of it (could probably go lower) to use as a backup drive. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I never got into networking. I've got a Linksys wireless router that I'll be using to share my internet connection with the MBP, which also provides internet to my PC through a wired connection.

Here's the question: What's the easiest way to get my MBP to backup to that 80GB partition on my PC?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Just share out the partition on the Windows machine and you should be able to connect to it through the finders network icon, or using command+k. I have a Linux machine here I use for work purposes but I share out my home directory to backup all the Macs here.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I'm a UNIX guy so I know exactly what I want to backup so I just have a script that runs to do it, as for backup software there are plenty of options available like Apples Backup, the 3rd party Carbon Copy Cloner, etc.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I only need basic functionality, as I'll only be backing up my music and photo library, and the Mac equivolent of 'My Documents'.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
yep, can't post a screen shot at the mo (wish it was easier on these forums) but here are some of the options you are presented with;

Home Folder
Backup your home folder to your hard disk daily or to CD or DVD monthly.

You have similar options to back up iLife and music data to disk as well.

I can't test the .mac requirement as I do have it but I've read others using it without issue and nowhere does it ask you to put in username or password details. I expect if you stay clear of the .mac specific backup options you'll have no problems at all.

As I said it is free and if it does its thing then your sorted. You have nothing to lose anyway ;)

jadedchameleon2

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2006
psycho bob said:
yep, can't post a screen shot at the mo (wish it was easier on these forums) but here are some of the options you are presented with;

Try to start it without an active .Mac subscription or trial. It won't work.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
regre7 said:
I'm acquiring a MBP in a few days, and I was looking into purchasing an external HDD for back-up.... ing?

Anyway, I don't really want to spend any money (who does?) and I thought to myself, "Self, you've got a 160GB drive in your PC that you can use!"

I figure that I can partition off 80GB of it (could probably go lower) to use as a backup drive. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I never got into networking. I've got a Linksys wireless router that I'll be using to share my internet connection with the MBP, which also provides internet to my PC through a wired connection.

Here's the question: What's the easiest way to get my MBP to backup to that 80GB partition on my PC?

If all you're doing is backing up data (and not your OS and Apps), then you can just connect:

smb://<pc's name or ip here>

navigate to the folder you want to back everything up to, copy paste (documents, movies, videos and pictures I'm assuming).

regre7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Okay, thanks for the replies. I was hoping there'd be something where it's a one-touch deal that could back-up certain folders. Oh well, this'll work.

Thanks!

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
jadedchameleon2 said:
Try to start it without an active .Mac subscription or trial. It won't work.

According to Apple's discussion boards the app will work in trial mode without .mac subscription. This limits you to 100mb at a time but you can have as many of these as you want.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Be aware that you will be saving to a Windows file system, so some naming conventions that may have been acceptable on a Mac won't play nice on the Windows hard drive.

SuperDuper, SilverKeeper -- check on Versiontracker.com for an assortment of utilities that can help you set up a "one tough" backup facility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.