Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
can i just plug in my iPod and have all my songs download to iTunes, or will it update my iPod with the new [blank] library on my new mac, therefore erasing all the songs on my iPod?

anyone know ways to get the songs to the new computer without having to redownload everything? Keep in mind i have around 2,000 songs so i would really hate to redo it all.

any ideas or help are greatly appreciated :D

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
the problem here is that i dont have my ipod, and wont for probly 2 more weeks. it is at best buy getting fixed, and i am trying to get it all off my old pc asap b/c i sold it.

i saw a way to do it when i did the apple-? and searched for it in help, but i still wasnt exactly sure how to do it.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
i tried using iDisk... but it would only let me load 1 song at a time to the library. and it took about 2 mins for it to upload. i dont wanna sit here and upload, then download 2,000 songs one by one.

is there a way to upload multiple files or folders to iDisk instead of having to do each file individually?

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
that seems really complicated. i read the whole thing but i am sort of confused, not sure if i will do it right.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another way to do it is to use an external HDD enclosure, remove the HDD from the PC and connect it to the Mac. Find the folder with your music on the external drive. drag over to the Mac.

B

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
i tried doing the network thingy. i set everything up the way it said to.. but i could not set up the network. i just got lost. i guess ill end up doing 1 song at a time or wait for my ipod to come back from best buy.

can someone specify an easy way to connect the computers, or should i just wait?

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
this 1st part was not working for me.

Before you Begin...

Since Panther, Mac OS X comes with a pretty sophisticated network discovery tool that allows other computers and printers to become accessible with virtually no configuration whatsoever, particularly in an existing home or office environment where shares and printers have already been set up. Before following the rest of this guide, which may be quite technical for the novice, see if it's even necessary.

Remote Computers
In the Finder, click on the Network icon in the upper left of a finder window
Wait a few moments.
You should see Workgroups or Computers begin to appear.
Click on one of these, and it should ask for a username and password.
If successful, the remote computer's share will be visible as a mounted volume

the workgroups folder never appeared.

----------

however i did do all of this...

System Configuration

It is important that the account you log in with on your XP system has a password set, if it does not you will not be able to login to your Windows share from OS X.

You need to put your Mac in the same workgroup as your Windows PC. To do this open “Directory Access” (Applications > Utilities > Directory Access). Click on the padlock in the bottom left corner to make changes; you will be prompted for your password. If “SMB” is not ticked off, then tick it off. Select “SMB” and hit the “Configure…” button. Now enter the name of your Windows workgroup. In my case the name is “AD”.

Setting up the PC to share files

You need to create and share a folder on your PC that you will then access from your Mac. To do this create a folder (or select and existing one) right click on it from Windows Explorer and select “Properties”. Select the “Sharing” tab and share out the folder. I’d recommend you use a one word name for the share. For example “mac”, not “Apple Mac Share”, it just narrows the risk of complications.

Setting up the Mac to share files

Open “System Preferences” (Applications > System Preferences). Go to “Sharing” under “Internet & Network”, and tick off “Windows Sharing”, and if it doesn’t start by itself, click “Start”. This will share out your entire home folder.

so after that i tried connecting the two comps...

Accessing your PC from your Mac

To mount a Windows share on your Mac, click on your desktop so that Finder is the active application, from the Finder menu go to “Go > Connect to Server”. In the “Server Address” field enter “smb://192.168.1.3/mac”, replacing the IP address with the IP address of your PC, and “mac” with the name of the Windows share you created earlier.

i got the ip address of the pc and had the correct folder name. wouldnt connect. i'm stumped

ps - yes i have a router

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
does it make a difference that the "workgroups" folder under network in the finder never showed up? does that have any affect on this process?

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
also, when i tried to create a network, it asked me for a disk or a flash drive or something to put the networkon to get it onto my mac. i do not have access to either right now, do i need to do that? i am not really sure if i have to get this network thing setup before i can access the pc from my mac. any idea?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You shouldn't need a disc. I'm pretty sure that's just if you want to transfer the network settings to a new machine.

Is it still not connecting, even taking out the folder name? Do you have a firewall that might be blocking this?

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
im gonna try it all again in a minute. do you have a .mac screen name to where i can IM you? and i really do appreciate all your help btw

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sorry, never really got into IM. :eek:

If the machines are plugged into the same router and both have been set up to share files then putting in smb://IPADDRESS or smb://NAMEOFPC really should work. Tell us how it goes. :)

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
alroght im gonna retry it.. just keep an eye out on this thread for about 5-6 mins and ill post back my results. :crosses fingers:

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
success!! got it to work. thanks for all the help. now i just gotta wait 2 hours (and counting) for the files to transfer. thanks again!

d wade

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
only question i have left...

all my music were in indiv folders with band names as the folder name. they are entering my itunes library folder in a very unorganized and cluttered manner. is there any way to arrange the folders all in alphabetical order without having to change the view options? (i want to view the folders)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
d wade said:
all my music were in indiv folders with band names as the folder name. they are entering my itunes library folder in a very unorganized and cluttered manner. is there any way to arrange the folders all in alphabetical order without having to change the view options? (i want to view the folders)

Don't move or rename any of the files within the iTunes folder because you'll start getting corruptions in the library which'll mean iTunes will lose where the song is located and therefore lose the ability to play it (unless you manually refind it). If iTunes is set to automatically manage your song files then they should be categorised by Artist and then subcategorised by Album in Finder (or Explorer). I'm not sure of a way to change this though.

d wade said:
also, i should probly undo all the share settings when this is done to protect my computers, right?

Probably not necessary (I don't bother) but feel free to if you'd like. You might want to transfer some other data while you've got the network set up. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.