Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Hey all,

My 20GB iPod 4G will now refuse to start and keeps making a clicking noise. The conventional way of resetting it will not work (select+menu/play). It simply gives an Apple logo and then a little sad ipod picture...

Before anyone asks, yes, I did drop it about an hour before the problems started, however the ipod did work fine after the fall. The drop was not very big, 'but like god, I don't believe in coincidences'. (V for Vendetta, 2005).

I assume the hard drive is seriously f***** and I will probably have to get this repaired or buy a second hand one if cheaper. I have however heard some success stories about people getting theirs to work after a drop with similar issues. I even read something about sticking this in the freezer? :confused:

And suggestions on my plan of attack? Cheers

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
If you have apple care, now is the time to use it. If not, then if you are really tech savvy then I might suggest taking the iPod apart and looking for damaged components. But only use that as a last resort. See if you can find a place that will diagnos the problem for free and see what the problem is and how much it will cost for them to repair it. If it is the hard drive see if you can find a working one on ebay or something and replace it out with the broken one. if it is something else then see if you can find that on ebay also. But I was at Best Buy and they had a 60GB 4G iPod for REALLY cheap that was a floor model that they put with the open box iPods. So you could check that also. That's all that I can think of right now. Right now would be a great time to upgrade to the iPod Video :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.