Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrs2090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Hey,
I want to take my old iMac G4 and use it as an external display for my MBP. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

~JRS

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Of course it is possible, use a video input device on the iMac or rip the guts out of the iMac G4 and turn it into a monitor (and destroy its use as a computer.)

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Sun Baked said:
Of course it is possible, use a video input device on the iMac or rip the guts out of the iMac G4 and turn it into a monitor (and destroy its use as a computer.)

Easiest way would be to use an EyeTV I reckon.

jrs2090

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
i want it to have a full response time so I guess EYE TV isn't the best option... am i correct?

so if I rip the guts out... is there a guide for this? i don't wanna screw it up u know!

~JRS

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
jrs2090 said:
i want it to have a full response time so I guess EYE TV isn't the best option... am i correct?

so if I rip the guts out... is there a guide for this? i don't wanna screw it up u know!

~JRS
By full response expect a delay of 200-500 ms.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope...

Unless you can solder and are extremely engineering savvy, it's in on way possible.

cicottrell

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2006
please?!?!there must be a way!

My iMac G4 is dead (knackered Logic board) but i want to use the display in my new whatever i get.. I have taken it apart and found the cable connector where it plugs into the logic board. This is a 21 pin plug. Anyone know how i could convert this into a DVI plug to plug in the back of say a mac pro? I can keep the power from the imac, seems to be ok, so just need the video input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.