Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Viking Quest

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
I think the clickwheel is outdated. For those of us with like 500+ artists the clickwheel is annoying. The should make some sort of percentage search or letter search. For example, with the new ipods make it so you can search for artists by letter. Have a mini touch keyboard or something. I dont see why they can't include one of those pen things that PDAs have.

FragTek

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
I wouldn't buy an iPod without a clickwheel, thats what I love so much about it! It's easily the fastest and most intuitive way to quickly shuffle through songs and mess with volume / options.

Viva la clickwheel!

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
When Toshiba and Creative had nothing left to turn to, they went to Apple's drawing board. :rolleyes:

Going off-topic here, but whatever happened in the Apple sued by Creative law suit?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
MacGabePro said:
the iPod has competition!?!?:confused:

Oh yes. The iPod has a comfortable majority in Australia, Canada, Japan, the UK and the US, but competition is much healthier everywhere else. Those are good places to be dominant since they're some of the word's richest countries, but there is still plenty of territory for everyone else.

fatties

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
MacGabePro said:
the iPod has competition!?!?:confused:

i never thought that but i saw my friend's brand new irivers (i don't knwo which model, its the one where the screen fills the whole thing) and you knwo what apart from being a bit thick, it was pretty sexy, works sort of odd, but well and i must admit after having 3 ipods and just switched to mac, I wanted one.

i say ipods have to do something really radical or else people will loose interest. its not that other people are 'better' but there are jsut so many choices out there that there might be a well... diffusion of market.

go ipod with no click wheel!

EvilBeans

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
North Jersey
I agree that Apple really needs to raise the bar with their next gen iPod, and I don't mean adding better video or non-music-related add-ons.

Now, I'm no iPod fan, but the fact is there are some missing music features that both iPod fans and detractors have been harping on for years (e.g. gapless playback, 5-band custom EQ). If Apple continues to drag their feet in this space, more and more people will discover what the competition has to offer.

That said, the iPod's mass appeal is nothing short of phenomenal. I don't see that changing in the very near future, but the degree of dominance probably won't last.

Strictly from my personal point of view, I really have tried to like the iPod, figuring there must be something to it. But, now that I'm used to the Karma, things like gapless playback and 5-band EQ are deal-breakers for me. At 2.5 years of age, I don't expect my Karma will last that much longer. If Apple doesn't up the ante, I, and a lot of people like me, will continue to shop elsewhere.... either that or pick up a used iPod on eBay and throw Rockbox on it.

Disclaimer: I in no way mean to disparage the iPod, this is purely my personal opinion. Peace. :)

Viking Quest

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
EvilBeans said:
I agree that Apple really needs to raise the bar with their next gen iPod, and I don't mean adding better video or non-music-related add-ons.

Now, I'm no iPod fan, but the fact is there are some missing music features that both iPod fans and detractors have been harping on for years (e.g. gapless playback, 5-band custom EQ). If Apple continues to drag their feet in this space, more and more people will discover what the competition has to offer.

That said, the iPod's mass appeal is nothing short of phenomenal. I don't see that changing in the very near future, but the degree of dominance probably won't last.

Strictly from my personal point of view, I really have tried to like the iPod, figuring there must be something to it. But, now that I'm used to the Karma, things like gapless playback and 5-band EQ are deal-breakers for me. At 2.5 years of age, I don't expect my Karma will last that much longer. If Apple doesn't up the ante, I, and a lot of people like me, will continue to shop elsewhere.... either that or pick up a used iPod on eBay and throw Rockbox on it.

Disclaimer: I in no way mean to disparage the iPod, this is purely my personal opinion. Peace. :)

I somewhat agree with you. The only way the iPod has gotten better is color screens and video playback. For us audiophiles it would be nice to have a better EQ. I hate the gap inbetween songs as well. For $400 I would like to have more control of my iPod.

I think that the Nanos and Shuffles should stay the same and be "on the go iPods" and the video iPods should have a bunch of features.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
i didn't realize how not having gapless playback sucks until I got a live concert CD. Now there's these odd gaps where they talk at the end of songs, or the crowd is applauding which is quite irritating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.