Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I am plugged into the wall and my battery is still dying. It was at 31 minutes, and now at 32 minutes until full. What's wrong?

EDIT: See below for new problem

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Yes, I am sure it's plugged in. I tried both slots; so either the wall outlet died or it's this. I hope the AC adapter isn't busted...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Check the wall outlet with another piece of electronic equipment.

Try the charger in a different outlet.

Is the orange-lighted ring around the end of the power adapter glowing? (Assuming that your iBook is new enough that it has this type of adapter...)

Is the battery symbol in the menu bar showing the electrical plug inside it, the "lightning bolt," or the "fill bar" that shows how much battery you have left?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Is the orange-lighted ring around the end of the power adapter glowing? (Assuming that your iBook is new enough that it has this type of adapter...)

Yes, it was glowing orange.

Is the battery symbol in the menu bar showing the electrical plug inside it, the "lightning bolt," or the "fill bar" that shows how much battery you have left?

Yes, it was showing the bar that should be shown when plugged in...

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Well, I was going to try to callibrate it first. It seems like that's the problem because the coconut app is saying it's charging when I plug it in. I just wish it didn't take this long to die from battery life.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
cmm said:
Well, I was going to try to callibrate it first. It seems like that's the problem because the coconut app is saying it's charging when I plug it in. I just wish it didn't take this long to die from battery life.

Just turn up the brightness and burn a CD or import a CD or watch a DVD. That'll make it die real quick.

Also, turn on airport and bluetooth. :)

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I have a DVD running. :) I really hope nothing is wrong with my power supply -- I can't be without a computer. :S

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
I am having the same problem again tonight. I did callibrate it. Now it's going 31+minutes and I'm up to 38, then down to 37. The orange light is on, Apple says it's charging and so does coconutbattery.

Any ideas?

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
WTF

I don't get this. A minute ago it was at 44 minutes, and now the battery is charged.

What gives?

CuteGothTech

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2006
cmm said:
WTF

I don't get this. A minute ago it was at 44 minutes, and now the battery is charged.

What gives?
Could be;
didn't really reset the PMU,
bad battery,
bad charger,
bad DC-IN Board, or
Bad Logic board.
You need to take it in to be serviced.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
cmm said:
How long am I going to lose this for?

Depends on how serious it is... Odds are, it'll be at least a few days, maybe more if it's something like the logic board. but if it''s an easy fix (say, swapping in another battery) you'll be in and out that day (I assume).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.