Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
my 12" ibook is basically retarded. the joint (err whatever it's called) between the lcd and the computer is completely busted and a few of the wires are a bit messed up. one wire (small, thin & black) is ripped in half and the green one is shaved a bit...

anyway, what happens is the ibook still boots up, runs fine, but the lcd screen is completely gray, understandably so. but, i am able to use my television and a vga adapter as a monitor and the computer is completely funcitonal.

my question is, can i completely remove the lcd screen (so it can be sold) and basically set my ibook up as a desktop with a standalone lcd monitor?

also, anyone possibly know how i could check to see if the lcd screen is still functional? it was working fine if the wires were touching in a certain way previously, but i think my mom kicked it or somethin and now all i get is a gray screen.

(funny story ... kinda -- the computer was originally broke from my retarded friend, he left the ****in' thing on the top of my car and forgot about it when getting in... all because he wanted to burn a cd on a road trip. needless to say, he doesn't touch anything valuable of mine anymore. lesson learned.)

i can't complain about the durability of this computer, no matter what happens.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
What you're talking about doing will require quite a bit of patience and hardware know-how. iFixit has some guides as to how you can change, add or remove various aspects of the iBook so have a look through these to see whether you think you're up to the task.

I can't imagine it'd be worth the effort of selling the screen and I reckon you might do more harm than good trying to remove it. It might be best just to cut your losses and punch your friend. :)

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
thank ya..

haha, while the projector idea is kinda not what i'm lookin' for, i like the creative response..

the ifixit site is gonna help a lot, i guess i'll go ahead and continue on removing the screen (i'm about halfway thru without a guide .. maybe not so smart, but ohwell) and see how that goes..

i do have a standalone lcd screen that i want to try to use along with external keyboard and mouse to try to make this thing into a desktop.. both with usb connectors. anyone use one of those usb splitters before? any problem in functionality? just for keyboard and mouse so i don't assume any real big problems.

more importantly...

anybody possibly know if the ibook will still function without an internal lcd screen connected? i don't want to have to go through re-connecting everything else just to see if it will run. i want to obviously mirror the picture on to the external lcd, but my lack of knowledge prevents me from understanding how it would work.

the one thing i do have, is time, so if i get no response i suppose i'll share my findings.

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
alrighty..

well i suppose i'll give it a try and see what happens...

although i've come across a few people with stories about how the whole thing will get into a rebooting cycle just because of a cracked lcd screen... i'm hopin' this won't be the situation when i completely remove the lcd.

i suppose i could've mentioned from the start that it's a 12" G4.. if it makes a difference to anyone who comes across this.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
Wazahere said:
well i suppose i'll give it a try and see what happens...

although i've come across a few people with stories about how the whole thing will get into a rebooting cycle just because of a cracked lcd screen... i'm hopin' this won't be the situation when i completely remove the lcd.

i suppose i could've mentioned from the start that it's a 12" G4.. if it makes a difference to anyone who comes across this.

It'd good for you it's an iBook. The PB's all had the AirPort+BT 2.0 antennas placed on side of the screen, and the MB+MBP have them in the hinge (not to speak of the iSight). Are you sure there are no other important functionalities you might lose from removing the screen...

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
hah

no i actually have absolutely no idea if i'll lose any functionality or anythign else, i'm just givin' this a go 'cause i'm getting a blacbook soon, and i figured if i could atleast salvage this machine as a music server or something of the sort i might as well not let it go to waste...

probably gonna get goin on this in a few days and i'll post pictures/repairs/whatever else i come across incase someone has the same problem.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Josias said:
It'd good for you it's an iBook. The PB's all had the AirPort+BT 2.0 antennas placed on side of the screen, and the MB+MBP have them in the hinge (not to speak of the iSight). Are you sure there are no other important functionalities you might lose from removing the screen...
Actually the antanaes are in the screen for the iBook also so he would lose the wireless and he would lose the microphone also. But that's all I can think of.

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006

well i finished the stupid thing, and i posted some pictures on a site of mine if anyone is interested... i didn't feel like compressing the images to fit them on here so here's the link...

http://wasielewski.org/photos/jake/

and the images that apply are..

IMG_0251.JPG through IMG_0256.JPG

and it is almost completely functional, barring the microphone i believe and possibly some other small features which i have no idea about.. but it works for what i need it for.

btw, the wires coming out of the top of the case are for the airport antennae, but since i'm gonna eventually hook up a usb keyboard and have it underneath my desk and not visible, i don't see those wires hanging out as being too much of a problem.

anyone have any idea on how to test whether or not the lcd screen is actualy working? as far as i can see, it's simply the wiring that's messed up.

suggestions are certainly welcome.

Wazahere

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
ahh!

i forgot to mention that for anyone else interested in taking their ibook or any other computer apart and putting it back together, the ifixit.com site worked perfect.

it claimed that this repair was 'very difficult' but from what i encountered, i found it extremely easy so long as one can read directions and follow them... pretty simple to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.