Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nataku

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 1, 2005
The Demilitarized Zone
Engadget got a picture of Microsoft's "Argo".

Clickie

Could this be the iPod killer? Pfffft. If it is, it looks pathetic. I'm guessing the one in the middle is some kind of scroll wheel. Another Microsoft immitation. :p

What do you think?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Looks like well designed hardware (simple). Now let's see what's on the screen... :rolleyes:

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
nataku said:
Could this be the iPod killer? Pfffft. If it is, it looks pathetic. I'm guessing the one in the middle is some kind of scroll wheel. Another Microsoft immitation. :p

What do you think?

I agree, it does look pretty pathetic! Very boring design that will date very easily. Reminds me of some of the Rio MP3 players (they're gone now, and just as well)...

Apple didn't invent the iPod style wheel you know? That's been around since the 70s in B&O hifis...

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Looks alright. iPod still beats the pants off it.

For a MS product it is lacking stickers.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
Simple wins, iPod is the example. But as stated, it depends on whats on the screen and what features are available and how the music is accessed (sold/rent). If it equals the ipod then i don't see too much of a change, if it offers things the ipod doesnt and those features are what everyone wants then it could be interesting.

EvilBeans

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
North Jersey
As you can imagine, I'm none too happy about Rio's demise. I think MS could've made a big splash with the Sigmatel STMP3600 SoC reference player, what would have been the Rio Chroma. Killer features, already supports MS' Plays for Sure platform, color screen, gapless, 5 band parametric eq, support for FM & video, pitch bend, you name it.

Instead, they put out "Argo." This thing could not look less imaginative. If this is what they ultimately release to market, it'll need some damn compelling features for me to give it any consideration.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I think I'll stick with my iPod 5G rather than that contraption :p. The design looks horrible, and the screen, Do they expect you to hold it sideways or something? That's just stupid.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
meh.. i think it is very similar to the ipod. i don't know how they will get away with using that same scroll wheel. even if apple didn't design it, they sure did patent it, and it looks really similar.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
actually looks ok, I'm not saying I'd drop my iPod into a drawer and run out to buy one. But let's not all act like Apple is the only company that can build an MP3 player.

MacBook'06

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
Cardiff, Wales
i hope it includes really good and succesful features... because if it does then Apple will have to make a killer iPod.... competition is always good (for the consumer!)

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Not saying I would get one, but I am curious if and how this will connect with an XBox360. I love my 360 and any accessories that enhance my experience I all for.

Having said that, I would still rather have a true Video iPod over that thing, I care about my iTunes and having all music with me more than I do being able to hook that up to my 360.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Well, I like it. an iPod doesn't look any better, when you think about it. Go look at one with the screen off, they're the same practically. No, I would get one if it has the right features. I mean, the current iPod's only had two major changes since 2001- Photos and Videos. If MS can give me gapless playback, a radio, and other cool things I didn't realize I needed, I'm on board. Let's just hope it integrates with iTunes, I really don't feel like re-doing all my playlists in WMP.

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Hmmm. Apparently those blurry pix we saw awhile ago of this were actually for real. Doesn't look that bad, to be honest.

If this has better battery life (MOST important to me) and/or better features (avi playback, anyone?) than the supposed "true video iPod" then I could consider it.

thejadedmonkey said:
Let's just hope it integrates with iTunes, I really don't feel like re-doing all my playlists in WMP.

No way this will interface with iTunes, however.

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
pknz said:
Looks alright. iPod still beats the pants off it.

For a MS product it is lacking stickers.

Don't worry, they will come:rolleyes: I wonder what their packaging is going to look like:D Mabye they will use the packaging in that "if MS re-designed the iPod packaging" movie:rolleyes: :D

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ToastMaster said:
No way this will interface with iTunes, however.
There are lots of ways of "interfacing with iTunes", and I have suggested before that any true iPod rival should try to at least read and import the iTunes database into whatever library app they intend to use and then also the player should support M4A/AAC out of the box to allow anyone who has their iTunes in that format to just plug and go. Protected iTMS tracks would be left out, but for many people that's a small price to pay...

I don't think we'll see a true "iPod killer" until they realiz they need to embrace iPod+iTunes, before they can extend or extinguish it.

B

EvilBeans

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2006
North Jersey
balamw said:
I have suggested before that any true iPod rival should try to at least read and import the iTunes database into whatever library app they intend to use and then also the player should support M4A/AAC out of the box to allow anyone who has their iTunes in that format to just plug and go. Protected iTMS tracks would be left out, but for many people that's a small price to pay...

I don't think we'll see a true "iPod killer" until they realiz they need to embrace iPod+iTunes, before they can extend or extinguish it.

B

I admit my initial gut reaction was that they shouldn't have to. But then I thought about it for a second and realize that's an excellent idea. The same way different POP mail clients like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. can import email databases from each other, being able to do the same with a music library database makes a lot of sense. This way you can preserve any ratings, comments, play counts, lyrics, etc.

I second the motion.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Here ya go ham man:
iPodkiller.jpg

A quick photoshop, but it illustrates the point.

:D

EDIT: Yes, I know theres some BSoD text missing, but I don't have time/can't be bothered to put it all on.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
The article said "but it's about time we showed you guys at least one possible form". is this what it's going to look like? Unlikely. In other words, they are guessing.
But this doesn't look too bad. If you can rotate video from the 4:3 upright to more of a 16:9 in horizontal, you will have a serious competitor to the current iPod.

stunna

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2005
wwooden said:
Not saying I would get one, but I am curious if and how this will connect with an XBox360. I love my 360 and any accessories that enhance my experience I all for.

Having said that, I would still rather have a true Video iPod over that thing, I care about my iTunes and having all music with me more than I do being able to hook that up to my 360.
it will probably connect to the xbox 360 and probably interact with each other
It would be cool if they added some type of Microsoft Live features at the same price as the current ipods

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
the screen looks good but why the multi-color and whatever round thing...now that's wht i call UGLY!

ToastMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2005
Tacoma, WA
EvilBeans said:
I admit my initial gut reaction was that they shouldn't have to. But then I thought about it for a second and realize that's an excellent idea. The same way different POP mail clients like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. can import email databases from each other, being able to do the same with a music library database makes a lot of sense. This way you can preserve any ratings, comments, play counts, lyrics, etc.

That IS a really good idea... I guess I hadn't considered that.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
this thing couldn't kill off a dell dj mp3 player...
honestly, unless there is some groundbreaking new technology behind the "ipod killer" its not going to do much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.