Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
I ordered my Nike+iPod kit on June 15th and just received a shipping notice from Apple. Should have it tomorrow.

Just thought some might like to know.

Attachments

• nike_ipod.jpg
    nike_ipod.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 418

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Cheers Flowbee.... and a review once you've had a chance to test it out!
Did you order any Nike+ clothing as well? If not what are you using for a nano holder? If I was to use it with my Apple armband, I'd need to whip out some scissors....

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Nike + iPod now shipping

A reader reports that his Nike + iPod Sport kit has shipped. Indeed, the Apple Store (US) now lists a 24 hour shipping turnaround for the product.

The Nike+iPod partnership was announced on May 23, 2006 via a New York press conference attended by several sports celebrities.

Digg This

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Piarco said:
Cheers Flowbee.... and a review once you've had a chance to test it out!
Did you order any Nike+ clothing as well? If not what are you using for a nano holder? If I was to use it with my Apple armband, I'd need to whip out some scissors....

I've tried several armbands and they just aren't comfortable for me. My shorts have a nice little inside pocket (for keys & ID, probably) that fits the nano just perfectly.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
When you get this could you try to test it out with non-nike shoes? I love the idea but the last pair of nike shoes (pegasus) turned my toe nails blue with blisters.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
runninmac said:
When you get this could you try to test it out with non-nike shoes? I love the idea but the last pair of nike shoes (pegasus) turned my toe nails blue with blisters.

I'm definitely not switching from my Saucony Hurricanes. I'll probably craft a little pouch for it that attaches to my laces. I post the results tomorrow.

Judo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2002
New Zealand
On the nikeplus site someone has almost run 3000 miles. What the hell is up with that. Hope they sort that out.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Flowbee said:
I'm definitely not switching from my Saucony Hurricanes. I'll probably craft a little pouch for it that attaches to my laces. I post the results tomorrow.

Very inovative! Didn't think of that. I was thinking of carving a little spot for it in my 1/2 inch cork heal raiser, but if mine doesn't work yours sounds great.

Post pics of the results.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
Flowbee said:

But don't you need to actually stomp on it for it to register for pace, etc? I would imagine that it's pressure-sensitive rather than having a built-in motion sensor...

Just my two cents. :)

macridah

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2004
Nor-Cal
runninmac said:

The nike pegasus are my go to shoes. They are the only nike's I can run in cuz I need to get wider shoes. I know, most people say NB are the shoes to get, but NB 9's are too small and 9.5 are too wide. Nike 9's are perfect!

Now, I notice that the nike+ shoes don't come in wide :eek:

Well I'll probably still buy the nike+ gear to hold my iPod nano. Kinda pricey $50 for shorts! $65 for shirts!

I do hope you can use the sensor on none nike+ shoes.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
MBHockey said:

There's a good description of how an accelerometer works at Wikipedia.

Also worth noting:
Wikipedia said:
It has been revealed that the "nunchaku" peripheral featured with the Nintendo Wii free-hand pointer input device will contain an accelerometer. The cited source below suggests the device may be used in first-person, or light-gun type shooting games where the accelerometer peripheral can be tilted left or right to reload the player's weapon. However, this ought to just be the tip of the iceberg, as the full suite of sensors in the controller allow the Wii to calculate where the device is in 3D space, as well as its orientation.

Apple Computer and Nike have created a sensor with "a sensitive accelerometer to measure your activity". The device works with an iPod Nano to calculate and record the distance a user runs.

Riverrafter21

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
We are having a big release event at the Dick's Sporting Goods I work at tomorrow. This is one of the items that all of the footwear and apparel staff had to be educated on and have been told to push the sale. The test version we were shipped works very well.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Riverrafter21 said:
We are having a big release event at the Dick's Sporting Goods I work at tomorrow. This is one of the items that all of the footwear and apparel staff had to be educated on and have been told to push the sale. The test version we were shipped works very well.

We got one in as a demo a few days ago and the units for sale today, and it looks sweet. We started selling them today, not sure how sales went. When is Dick's Starting to sell them?

holycow

macrumors member
May 28, 2006
I'll definitely be ordering one as soon as it's confirmed they work with non-Nike shoes. I know it probably will since it's an accelerometer, but I'd just like some confirmation before buying...I'd like to keep my Brooks running shoes.

Edit: Someone posted this at ipodlounge.com...any truth to this?

"Is there any way to use this w/o wearing Nike? Can it be attached to my laces?"

No because the transmitter goes inside part of the shoe and there are parts in the shoe!

Riverrafter21

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2006
We got one in as a demo a few days ago and the units for sale today, and it looks sweet. We started selling them today, not sure how sales went. When is Dick's Starting to sell them?

We start tomorrow...We have almost all of the clothes and all of the shoes

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
holycow said:
I'll definitely be ordering one as soon as it's confirmed they work with non-Nike shoes. I know it probably will since it's an accelerometer, but I'd just like some confirmation before buying...I'd like to keep my Brooks running shoes.

Edit: Someone posted this at ipodlounge.com...any truth to this?

I use Brooks also and I won't switch, but this thing sounds great. Based on what I've seen, I do not believe that the transmitter connects to the shoe in any way. It appears to be a hard rubber enclosure that sits in a little pocket. Probably designed to withstand sweat and water. Someone stated that the insole in the shoe is incredibly rigid. This is probably an attempt to lessend the wearers ability to feel the hole underneath their foot. this sounds liek a terrible design, to me, but honestly, it can't be too bad if they expect it to sell. Putting a makeshift hole in a shoe sounds like an even worse idea. It's bound to be uncomfortable and cause problems with your feet.

As others have pointed out, the thing is an accelerometer. I'd bet dollars to donuts that it measures you activity by your foot changing for forward moving to backward moving and not up and down. I imagine it will work in one of those keypouches that can be interwoven into the laces...or so I hope, as it's my plan.

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Interesting reading these comments. On the CNBC story last night, the guy said that (a) it works great, and could be revolutionary, and (b) people are very loyal to their running shoe brands, and are not likely to switch to Nike just for this. Seems to echo the opinions here.

It'll be very interesting if it's straightforward make it work on non-Nike shoes. Isn't that a bit like running OSX on a wintel clone? Seems like Nike would have taken steps (no pun intended) to make it as difficult as possible, though exactly what those steps might be I'm not really sure. Can't believe it'd be as easy as just weaving it into your shoelaces....

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
This is from the Nike+ iPod site.

This wireless sensor and receiver combination works exclusively with your Nike+ shoes and iPod

"Exclusive" doesn't sound too good!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Its just a small cut out in the shoe, with a piece of plastic in it to hold the unit (or whatever you want to call it.) The unit is very small, and there isnt anything in the nike shoes to keep you from using it with another shoe, other than that other shoes dont have a custom spot for it.

As for putting it in your laces, not really possible unless you rig up some sort of bag/ holder to put it in, then tie your laces to the holder. The unit is oval, with no holes or anything.

Carl Spackler

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
Outer Space
Koodauw said:
Its just a small cut out in the shoe, with a piece of plastic in it to hold the unit (or whatever you want to call it.) The unit is very small, and there isnt anything in the nike shoes to keep you from using it with another shoe, other than that other shoes dont have a custom spot for it.

As for putting it in your laces, not really possible unless you rig up some sort of bag/ holder to put it in, then tie your laces to the holder. The unit is oval, with no holes or anything.

No rigging required. Any running shoe apparel will carry something like this.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Koodauw said:
There isnt anything in the nike shoes to keep you from using it with another shoe, other than that other shoes dont have a custom spot for it.

I think you're right. It would alienate too many people if it only worked with Nike Shoes.

0s and 1s

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2004
OK, USA
macridah said:
I know, most people say NB are the shoes to get, but NB 9's are too small and 9.5 are too wide. Nike 9's are perfect!

You DO know that shoes are available in widths, correct? Have you ever tried a 9 EE?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.