Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Onizuka said:
That IS pretty spiffy. Nice work. Would we be able to customize your layout for our own needs? Say I want more of a new brush metal look on some things, can I modify it?

Yep - it's all done through CSS, and you can edit it any way you like.

Well, it's a javascript file, but the same CSS is in there so it is easy to figure out.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Ok - here is the style with info on how to use it.

Please note that due to limitations of not being able to alter that actual template of MR, I could only change so much. Because of this, some things could not be altered (navigation tabs, etc). Additionally, some links at the bottom could not be changed to "match."

This style is also _only_ optimized for the forums. Other sections of the MR site (main page, page 2, buyers guide, etc) will not be affected by the changes if you use this method.(This can be done, however - let me know if you're interested)

How to put it in action
The method I use requires FireFox. If you use another browser, you still may be able to specify a stylesheet to be used - I will check Safari in more detail once I get home.

Step 1) - Install the greasemonkey addon for firefox (click the install link on the page it brings you to, and it will install instantly)

Step 2 - Restart firefox and come back to this post.

Step 3 - Right click (control click) this link and select "Install User Script" - you should receive a comfirmation, click OK.

Browse to a new place on the forums or hit refresh to make the change take effect. Enjoy :)

Please let me know if you have any trouble getting this to work, or notice any problems.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Xander562 said:
Wha wha whaaaa..... please keep going for the entire site, this looks way cool.
Thanks - I'll try tomorrow if I get the time. It's easy to enable it and it works with 90% of the other pages' content, but there are some minor things that need to be adjusted.

Macmaniac said:
Looks really cool. Does it work in Safari?
The method I posted will not, since it requires greasemonkey. However, Safari may be capable of doing it through another method, which I'll be searching for once I get home. I'll post any info/instructions I can with that as well.

garfield2002 said:
Your instructions worked great. Wow I really like this look. :)

Thanks - glad you like it :D

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Looks good. But I only switch to Firefox when Safari starts to jerk my chain.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
Quick comment: I haven't installed it yet (still not ready to dump Safari) but in your one screenshot you spelled 'discussion' wrong.

Looks amazing though.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
skoker said:
Quick comment: I haven't installed it yet (still not ready to dump Safari) but in your one screenshot you spelled 'discussion' wrong.

Looks amazing though.

LOL! I guesss I did.

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll fix it and put up the new one soon :eek:

Edit: I just wanted to add that it can be done in Safari with a very similar method. I will post the instructions with the fixed version.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Josh said:
Unfortunately I cannot do much to the header/tabs/etc without being able to edit the template itself, but did as much as I could.

Here's a front view of the forums. I should have it finished up in a little bit.

That is awesome! Is there any other way to add more themes on this MR? I'm curious. Thanks!

amacgenius

macrumors 68000
Aug 3, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Josh said:
LOL! I guesss I did.

Thanks for pointing that out - I'll fix it and put up the new one soon :eek:

Edit: I just wanted to add that it can be done in Safari with a very similar method. I will post the instructions with the fixed version.

Any update on when us Safari faithful can use this?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I tried creating this out of the javascript file but it did not work I am not sure why. Its probably something obvious.:( Never have been very experienced with CSS/html

I can't upload .css so I changed it too .txt

Attachments

• main.txt
    818 bytes · Views: 113

Josh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
trainguy77 said:
I tried creating this out of the javascript file but it did not work I am not sure why. Its probably something obvious.:( Never have been very experienced with CSS/html

I can't upload .css so I changed it too .txt

Looked fine to me. What method did you use in trying to use it with safari?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
cool! ill wait for the safari instructions to be more clear cut. i dunno much CSS, but could i make all fonts look like helvectia neue ultralight and make the gray stuff look like brushed metal? thanks. looks great!:)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
getting nothing from SafariStand or PithHelmet with either the CSS or the JS files.

hmmm... loads them in but refuses to actually apply the style... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.