Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
does anyone know here what specs I have to look for in an internal cd-rom that I need to install in my bw g3 (I don't have the original anymore). When I look in the various stores I just have no idea whether there are any compatibility issues I need to know.

thx much !!

gio

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
thx ! well I ordered pretty much blind one drive (I don't even know what it is...), I have no idea whether it is going to work or not. If not I will check for sure the sites you suggested

gio

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by giovanni
when I try to go to http://www.experts-exchange.com
my safari unexpectedly quits, no matter how I try to get there.

when i go there on micrsoft IE, it works...but when i go to the homepage of macrumors.com and then click on "discussion forums", then IE quits unexpectedly...so i just click on a thread instead on the right hand side of the page...it's just one of those strange quirks

i was able to go to experts-exchange.com and login and log back off without any problem...i am not sure what version of IE i am using but it came with my ibook in late-'99 so it's an older version of IE

Hey Giovanni, I recently installed a so-called "superdrive" in my B&W, leaving the original CD/DVD-ROM drive homeless. I'll send it to you for the price of the postage. If interested, just email me. I can be reached through the Mac Rumors system (click on the mail icon at the bottom of each post).

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
Kethoticus,
damned !!!!! I ordered one at google gear since it was so cheap. It should get here on tuesday so if it does not work I will for sure take your offer. But whatever the case, thank you so much !
It is interesting, I did the same thing as you: install a pioneer A04 in my b&w G3 (it worked great !) but then after a few days I threw the old cd-rom away. These are things that happen a lot in manhattan where space is so valuable and there is never enough of it !

Anywas, I ordered a Sony CDU5211/CDU5221 52X Internal IDE CD-ROM Bare Drive, for $27 and I have no idea whether it will work at all or not in the g3.

thx again,
gio

damned !!!!! I ordered one at google gear since it was so cheap. It should get here on tuesday so if it does not work I will for sure take your offer. But whatever the case, thank you so much !

Not a problem.

It is interesting, I did the same thing as you: install a pioneer A04 in my b&w G3 (it worked great !) but then after a few days I threw the old cd-rom away. These are things that happen a lot in manhattan where space is so valuable and there is never enough of it !

Why do you need to get a separate CD-ROM? The DVD burner acts as a perfectly capable CD-ROM drive.

Oh... move to Forest Hills. I lived there for 4 years, and what you pay in Manhattan for a small studio you could get a decent 1-bedroom for. And the E/F/R/G line will get you back into Manhattan within 40 minutes or so.

Anywas, I ordered a Sony CDU5211/CDU5221 52X Internal IDE CD-ROM Bare Drive, for $27 and I have no idea whether it will work at all or not in the g3.

IDE is IDE. It's an industry standard. Just make sure that you got the master/slave thing correct.

giovanni

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
manhattan
Yes, the A04 I had was all I needed, except that I put it in a Dual 867 that I had which, in turn, I have now sold, superdrive included.
Now I realize my wife could make good use of the G3 when she brings work from the office. So I was thinking of possibly buy a G4 upgrade so that she could use OS X decently. But then I would need the cd-rom.

I know, manhattan is just too expensive, but the reason I am here is because I don't want to be elsewhere. I love this place too much. Of course, not being a millionaire I do have to give up on other things, including keeping extra hardware, presumably not needed. But geee is this place a money sucker, it really is crazy.

Ide is a standard yes, however there are other factors that affect compatibility. This I know from experience; what about all the burners that will not be recognized by the OS or by iTunes ?. All is relative, I guess.

ciao,
gio

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.