Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
I'm about to go to Egypt and I would like to dump some power adapters and just use the ipod's USB brick and various USB cables to power my cell phone, DS lite, etc. has anyone tried this, I would rather not fry everything.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
You should be fine. The output on the USB adapter should be a standard 5v source, since the actual adapter does all the conversion for you.

If you're that worried about it, a good voltage adapter is cheap. Try a local travel store.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
You need to be careful and compare the Apple brick's output to the other devices chargers and what their outputs are. Higher outputs on the Apple end could cause damage and lower may cause other problems such as longer charging times.

I don't think the damage would be to the actual component being charged, but moreso to the battery itself.

I may be wrong, i am no expert, but I would look into it more and not assume it would be fine.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
mojohanna said:
You need to be careful and compare the Apple brick's output to the other devices chargers and what their outputs are. Higher outputs on the Apple end could cause damage and lower may cause other problems such as longer charging times.
This just doesn't make sense to me.

The same iPod works on any computer in the world. USB has a *standard* output, which the iPod was designed to work with. In turn, the USB charger was designed to mimic that *standard* USB interface.

I see absolutely no reason whatsoever why the Apple iPod USB Charger won't work for any and all USB devices. I've used it for half a dozen devices myself, all domestically, and it's worked like a charm.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Sesshi said:
An alternative would be to take this USB2.0 hub with you.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=196181

Without a computer connected, it will still supply power to connected USB devices. So you can recharge up to 4 devices at once. I can confirm that the UK version at least is supplied with a world voltage supply.
... How is that any different than the USB charger?

(weird voltage) --> power connection --> usb output --> usb-charged device

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
ChrisBrightwell said:
Last time I checked, the OP didn't ask for four USB connections. He asked if the USB power adapter would work.

"just use the ipod's USB brick and various USB cables to power my cell phone, DS lite, etc"

I figured in his situation he'd appreciate being able to charge multiple machines. Plus if the PSU gets fried for any reason the Belkin has a lifetime warranty. No need to be so arsy, dude.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
davefan6435 said:
I tried using the USB power brick for my RAZR V3i and the only thing it did was allow the phone to turn on, but not charge. Just my $.02
Exactyly my point from my previous post. This is why only certain wattage power bricks will work on planes. Anything over 75 watts will not charge the battery poperly and can cause damage. They rec. removal of the battery.

Do what you want to do, just check the volts that the brick outputs versus the max input on the device. Every device I have ever looked at, it lists this information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.