Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
It's been suggested that we have one thread for all the seasons F1 chatter, how's this?

Well, Ferrari grabbed P1 and P2 again and will start the French GP from the front. Will the Bridgestones last?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
iTwitch said:
It's been suggested that we have one thread for all the seasons F1 chatter, how's this?

Well, Ferrari grabbed P1 and P2 again and will start the French GP from the front. Will the Bridgestones last?

I've spent a total of about 15 minutes on MR in the last month, so I'm a bit out of the loop on this one... but can I ask why???

Applespider

macrumors G4
I think because there were several individual F1 threads floating around and a few double posts of the same news so since most other sports have a single thread each season that all of the news can be debated in and old predictions rehashed, it seemed logical to do the same for F1.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I can go either way, but I figured give it a shot and see if it floats.

Anyway, the French GP is over and Schumacher scored another winn, pole and fastest lap. But... I think it's unrealistic to expect Ferrari to maintain this pace and Alsono only needs to shadow Schumacher to maintain his lead. I guess the championship is down to hoping for the unexpected?

PS. Welcome back iGav.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
next two weeks is when the story starts to develop when Renault bring out their new aero package and upgrades...

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Supposedly Ferrari has some new aero and enigine bits in the pipe also, so it looks like it's back to who can pay the most to get in front and stay there.

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
The French GP needs taking off the calendar now - the spectators think it's boring and the drivers think it's boring. It should be replaced with another street circuit race - preferably London :)

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
this thread is great! why did you all stop the posting after the French GP?

The German GP was exciting because it was the first race of the 3 that have a testing ban in effect, so the performance you saw from the teams that race wouldn't change that much for the next 2 races (up until Turkey)

But the Hungarian GP!! what a race! nobody saw that coming. Jenson Button getting his first! Both contenders penalized, then both crash out! although Schumacher was able to get the 1 point later on. Now Alonso's lead is by 10, I'm hoping for a Schumacher first place in Turkey and an Alonso DNF, that should level the two and make things interesting.

For now, I see Ferrari dominating the Turkish GP because they have the better car and tires, under dry conditions. Renault and Michelin don't have track time before Turkey so they can't test their setups, except in a wind tunnel, which is no replacement for track-time, and without the mass dampers that are still under question, they have a tough race. Renault should pray for rain, because the pace Alonso was setting in Hungary was just amazing.

what do you all think? :)

DrEasy

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2004
The French GP needs taking off the calendar now - the spectators think it's boring and the drivers think it's boring. It should be replaced with another street circuit race - preferably London
They should bring back Circuit Paul Ricard, now that was a true racing track (but no, they had to go to Magny-Cours to please the political party in place at the time). Not that it'd make me watch F1 again, mind you...

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
iGav said:
I'm in two minds... I'd love Schumacher to take an 8th :) but if he does... then I'd say he'll almost certainly retire. :(

However... if he just misses out, then the temptation to school Kimi next year and win the title will probably be too strong. ;) :D

I agree with you, I want Schumacher to take his eighth, but I don't want him to retire cause he clearly still has it, but I think the fact that everybody will switch to Bridgestone next year, and that the top contenders are switching teams should tempt Schumacher to go for a ninth (if he does get an eighth this year) since he'll still be with Ferrari and on the same tires, while Alonso who will definitely have to adjust not only to McLaren, but to Bridgestones, we all saw what Rubens Barachello went through in the first half of this season with Honda, so I think if Schumi sticks around for next year, it should be a smooth season for him and an easy title. :)

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
What a qualifying day, Massa tops Schumacher, Massa is an excellent driver, he just doesn't have the race consistency yet and is unable to maintain the pace over a race period, I'm mad that the Renaults are right there behind the Ferraris and non of the other teams have upped their game, where the hell is McLaren, Toyota, Honda, BMW? these teams need to get in between the Ferraris and Renaults once in a while. The problem for me is Alonso's excellent start, in my opinion him and the Renault car can make the best start, and I wouldn't be surprised if he over takes both Ferraris before Turn 1 :rolleyes:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Missed the GP. :(

But it sounds like another exciting race...Schu will have his competitive spirit awoken (if it was ever sleeping), and I expect him to fight hard to the finish in a car that seems capable of doing the job.

Another "first win ever", this time with Massa. Are we seeing the arrival of more Championship material, or another Barrichello? Too early to tell, though he's certainly outperforming Fisi.

Button had another strong race, everyone behind him was a long way back...

I think Alonso will win this Championship but I want to see it come down to the wire...and maybe Schu will pull a Senna in the last race and go out in a Zinedine Zidane-like blaze of fury as he spears Alonso's car with his own...:p :D :rolleyes:

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Lord Blackadder said:
Missed the GP. :(

Shame... there was about 10x more overtaking in this race, than the last MotoGP race. ;) :D

Anyway... I think we should abandon this thread before it really takes a hold, and go back to the old system of individual threads.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
That's two exciting GP's in a row ;)

A great performance by Massa and another masterclass in defensive driving by Alonso to keep Schmacher at bay for the last few laps.

With four races to go and Alonso only 12 points ahead, plus with Ferrari only two points behind Renault in the construction championship, I think it's going to be a bloody brilliant end to the season! :D

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I think Ferrari will take the Constructor's Championship because Massa is totally outpacing Fisi, who is invisible despite driving one of the four fastest cars on the grid. Logically, he should be fighting for a podium every race, or at least fighting with Massa...

I don't mind having individual threads either, since we don't create anywhere near as many posts as the NBA/NFL/MLB/EPL etc. sports threads.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Anyone else think Alonso is one lucky SOB?

He got 2nd place in this race just because of the safety car in the early stages and MS lucked out having to wait for Massa to pit first. And don't get me started with the Hungarian GP and the 2005 season. :rolleyes: :p

Massa should take one for the team and smash into Alonso so Schumi can gain 10 points. :D

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
heehee said:
Anyone else think Alonso is one lucky SOB?

He got 2nd place in this race just because of the safety car in the early stages and MS lucked out having to wait for Massa to pit first. And don't get me started with the Hungarian GP and the 2005 season. :rolleyes: :p

Massa should take one for the team and smash into Alonso so Schumi can gain 10 points. :D

Alonso has had luck on his side most definitely, but had Schumacher not made the mistakes in both his golden laps in qualifying, and the other mistake which cost him 4 seconds!! we could have had a Ferrari one-two! So a combination of Alonso's luck, and Schumacher's mishaps helped Alonso to increase his lead to 12 points.

But what a drive Massa did today, flawless, I always felt Ferrari should tell Kimi they don't want him, he is a world class driver, but he is just unlucky. then for 2007 and 2008, retain this line up, 3 years for Massa under Schumacher is more than enough time for him to iron out his bad driving habits, Schumacher then retires, Massa takes over as Ferrari's number 1, he may not be number 1 material now, but I think within time he can, he's still 24. And even though Schumacher is 37, he's a cyborg, his fitness level exceeds most of the drivers in their 20s, and he still has 2 years in him easily, what do you all think?

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004
iGav said:
Shame... there was about 10x more overtaking in this race, than the last MotoGP race. ;) :D

Anyway... I think we should abandon this thread before it really takes a hold, and go back to the old system of individual threads.

Sounds good, I have made an Italian GP thread

Italian GP Thread

All Formula 1 topics after today should be posted there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.