Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
I was wondering if I bought a Digital SLR, Is there any way i can use the lenses from my dads praktica 35mm slr? There the bayonet type screw in lenses, my dad said there totally obselete now and not supported?

Is he right?

Would it be expensive for more lenses? (im guessing yes, The ones i have now are a wide angle, some extension tubes (great for macro), and a nomal lense and a really large one? Maybe thats for zoom...)

Anyway please help! If I can't use them is there anywhere i can buy a more modern 35mm body that i can buy? the one i have now (Praktica Super TL 1000) is from the 80's... and the counter has broke! (I want one that can use the lenses just with more moden features...

Thanks for any help... As you can tell im not really up on all the photography stuff but im a beginner + learning!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
DBAlex said:
I was wondering if I bought a Digital SLR, Is there any way i can use the lenses from my dads praktica 35mm slr? There the bayonet type screw in lenses, my dad said there totally obselete now and not supported?

Is he right?

Would it be expensive for more lenses? (im guessing yes, The ones i have now are a wide angle, some extension tubes (great for macro), and a nomal lense and a really large one? Maybe thats for zoom...)

Anyway please help! If I can't use them is there anywhere i can buy a more modern 35mm body that i can buy? the one i have now (Praktica Super TL 1000) is from the 80's... and the counter has broke! (I want one that can use the lenses just with more moden features...

Thanks for any help... As you can tell im not really up on all the photography stuff but im a beginner + learning!

I really, highly doubt that your lenses will work on a DSLR. Even with an adapter (..if they're available) there would be a pretty big loss of image quality. I don't know of any modern 35mm camera bodies that use that type of mount? I'm not sure what kind of mount a screw/bayonet is, since I've only used Canon cameras.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Wow, a blast from the past. :)

Praktica had used both a bayonet mount early on, and then the Pentax screw mount in the later years IIRC. If they are screw mount lenses with an adapter you should be able to use them on a Pentax DSLR.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
DBAlex said:

Is he right?

First off "Praktica" of without question a top name brand. It is the parent of
"Zeiss Ikon, Exacta and Contax". Exacta was the design Nikon then later Canon copied when they built their firt SLRs. The Early Janpanees SLRs were copies of the German Exacta design but I think simplified and more robustly built. I own both a Nikon F2 and an Exacta. The F2 is built like a tank, the Exacta like a fine mechancial clock.

You say "bayonet type screw in" which is a contradiction of terms. Lens mount are _either_ "bayonet" or "screw". All modern SRLs use a bayonet system where you rotate the lens only about 1/4 turn to mount it. Screw mounts require you to rotate the lens three or so revolutions to mount it. I beleive Praktica invented the "screw mont". A screw mount lens will have 42mm threads with a 1mm thread pitch. Many other camera makers used the same mount system. The most common screw mount SLR in the US was the Pentax.

I think you may be in luck because the new Pentax DSLR, I think can still use screw mount lenses. Only two camera makers have made a public commitment to _never_ obsolte their lenses that would be Nikon and Pantax. Other makers seem to change lens monts every few decades.

So look at Pentax.

That said. These old lenses while they could be used have very little value. They sell for well under $100 each. So while Zies lenses were very good and still are optically very good they lack features people like to use today.. Basically if you want to use any of the "automatic" modes of the camera you will need a more modern lens. Also back if the 1950's and into the 1970's zooms were awful. The quality did not compare to primes. Good zooms had to wait for the advent of more sophisticated optical coatings, computer design and exotic glasses.

I'd suggest you keep the Praktica and use it. It's actually kind of fun to shoot with a real, mechanical camera that is powered with springs and gears rather them batteries and computers. One thing it will do that no DSLR can do is shoot slides. Nothing can beat the impact and image quality of projected slides. The people in the darkened rom see the actual film that was in the camera. Get a tripod and some Fuji Veliva or Kodak Kodachrome and shoot a few rolls

Then if you need digital then you can read all of the Canon Vs. Nikon debates all of the the various Internet forums. But before you do deside on a brand remember the lenses will be the larger and more important purchace. DSLR camera bodies are not that important or expensive compared to a set of quality lenses. So shop for lenses then pick a brand.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Thanks all of you!

All your responses are appreciated!

Ahh, I did contradict myself, Hehe, Yes there all the screw in type ;)

Cant believe I could still use them on a Pentax DSLR... Kinda pricey for one though!

Thanks for your advice ChrisA, I have some Ilford Delta ISO 100 film in it atm, Gonna try and shoot some macro shots! (The camera does awesome macro's... Up to 1mm (Detail is mindblowing :eek: ) Do you know if this film is any good or not? Its only 24 exposure.... Know anywhere in the UK to have cheap developing or scanning of B+W film done? (Like High Res film scans...) (Atm im looking at about £12 to have it developed at Jessops... Expensive for a 16 year old... ! But much better than using my digital)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Chip NoVaMac said:
Wow, a blast from the past. :)

Praktica had used both a bayonet mount early on, and then the Pentax screw mount in the later years IIRC. If they are screw mount lenses with an adapter you should be able to use them on a Pentax DSLR.

That would be fun, to use some old Ziess glass in a modern DSLR but not so practical for a modern casual photographer who needs to depend on autofocus and auto exposure. I use some older AI Nikor lenses with my D50 and my D50 then works just like an old F2 where you need to hand meter the scene or divide the stobe's guide number by the strobe to subject distance to computer ther reqired f-stop. Buying a new DSRL so that you can use it like a 1960's camera seems odd if you already have a 1960's camera. If he wants a 1960's style camera and digital buy a film scanner.

I do still shott sometines with the old Exacta. It has made by Ziess in in "USSR Oupied Germany". The camera is a couple years older than I am. Image quality is as good as any modern camera. When the caera was new it was very expensive.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Woot... Can't believe it, I just shot a whole 24 exposure film in about 20 minutes... :( lol, This is gonna be expensive!

Should be some good shots when i get em developed though! :D (Ill scan the photos and post if you like!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
DBAlex said:
I just shot a whole 24 exposure film in about 20 minutes... :( lol, This is gonna be expensive!

Not really expensive when you concider the time to travel to the location, set up the shots, take the shots, look t your work on a light table and make the "selects. scan the selects and re-work the best ones in Photoshp. The total cost works out to maybe $0.25 per hour. Cheap entertainment really.

If you have a scanner already even the absolute cost is not hight, $4 for a roll of file and about the same to process it (no prints) You can save a bunch if you buy SLIDE film and pre-paid processing mailers from B&H over the web

Ok if that is to much. Do what I did. Buy black and white film in bulk 100 foot rolls and re-load it onto reusble cartriidges process it yourslf in a daylight tank. The total cost is under $2 per roll. Even as a high school student (many years ago) I could afford to shoot 10 or 15 rolls on a weekend. Even today a 100 foot roll of film cost about $20 makes 20+ 36 exposure rolls. Around a buck a roll.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
DBAlex said:
... I have some Ilford Delta ISO 100 film in it atm, ....... Know anywhere in the UK to have cheap developing or scanning of B+W film done? (Like High Res film scans...) (Atm im looking at about £12 to have it developed at Jessops... Expensive for a 16 year old... ! But much better than using my digital)

Ilford Delta 100. Is one of the best of the "modern" black and while films. They make a 400 too and Kodak has Tmax which competes with Delta

But film does "age" most will be past it's prime a year after it is manufactured unlessit has been stored in a freezer. That said it will work well enough after 10 years at room temperture.

Delta 100 can be very fine graned. Sorry I live in California, no Idea about processing in the UK. But I do know it is easy to do it yourself. Very low equipment cost. Just a small tank and some reels and a thermometer. Most of the work is done in daylight. You can do two rolls in about 15 minutes and reuse the chemicals a few times

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2006
Ok, So what do i need once ive developed it?

Can i just scan it into my flatbed scanner?

(I saw a tut about turning negatives into photos a while ago...)

I can get developing done for £4 apparently... Hmm :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
ChrisA said:
That would be fun, to use some old Ziess glass in a modern DSLR but not so practical for a modern casual photographer who needs to depend on autofocus and auto exposure. I use some older AI Nikor lenses with my D50 and my D50 then works just like an old F2 where you need to hand meter the scene or divide the stobe's guide number by the strobe to subject distance to computer ther reqired f-stop. Buying a new DSRL so that you can use it like a 1960's camera seems odd if you already have a 1960's camera. If he wants a 1960's style camera and digital buy a film scanner.

I do still shott sometines with the old Exacta. It has made by Ziess in in "USSR Oupied Germany". The camera is a couple years older than I am. Image quality is as good as any modern camera. When the caera was new it was very expensive.
I don't know anyone who depends on autoexposure and autofocus. What do people find so intriguing about full manual without metering. How did photographers do it back then? They bracketed shots and used a hand meter. I fail to see what is so much more creative or artistic about shooting more and having to transfer the information from a meter to the camera. Its just a bunch of nostalgia, technology only helps, never hampers.

helmieohhelmie

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2010
Same Problem...! ):

First off "Praktica" of without question a top name brand. It is the parent of
"Zeiss Ikon, Exacta and Contax". Exacta was the design Nikon then later Canon copied when they built their firt SLRs. The Early Janpanees SLRs were copies of the German Exacta design but I think simplified and more robustly built. I own both a Nikon F2 and an Exacta. The F2 is built like a tank, the Exacta like a fine mechancial clock.

You say "bayonet type screw in" which is a contradiction of terms. Lens mount are _either_ "bayonet" or "screw". All modern SRLs use a bayonet system where you rotate the lens only about 1/4 turn to mount it. Screw mounts require you to rotate the lens three or so revolutions to mount it. I beleive Praktica invented the "screw mont". A screw mount lens will have 42mm threads with a 1mm thread pitch. Many other camera makers used the same mount system. The most common screw mount SLR in the US was the Pentax.

I think you may be in luck because the new Pentax DSLR, I think can still use screw mount lenses. Only two camera makers have made a public commitment to _never_ obsolte their lenses that would be Nikon and Pantax. Other makers seem to change lens monts every few decades.

So look at Pentax.

That said. These old lenses while they could be used have very little value. They sell for well under $100 each. So while Zies lenses were very good and still are optically very good they lack features people like to use today.. Basically if you want to use any of the "automatic" modes of the camera you will need a more modern lens. Also back if the 1950's and into the 1970's zooms were awful. The quality did not compare to primes. Good zooms had to wait for the advent of more sophisticated optical coatings, computer design and exotic glasses.

I'd suggest you keep the Praktica and use it. It's actually kind of fun to shoot with a real, mechanical camera that is powered with springs and gears rather them batteries and computers. One thing it will do that no DSLR can do is shoot slides. Nothing can beat the impact and image quality of projected slides. The people in the darkened rom see the actual film that was in the camera. Get a tripod and some Fuji Veliva or Kodak Kodachrome and shoot a few rolls

Then if you need digital then you can read all of the Canon Vs. Nikon debates all of the the various Internet forums. But before you do deside on a brand remember the lenses will be the larger and more important purchace. DSLR camera bodies are not that important or expensive compared to a set of quality lenses. So shop for lenses then pick a brand.

Hello Charisa...
You seems really good with dslr...
It seems like I really need your help...
I don't know anything about dslr actually,all I know is to snap a pics using it...! ^^ ...Actually,I am using Canon 450dslr...Theres someone want to sell for me Praktica SET OF 4 PENTACON PB PRAKTICA LENSES

THEY ARE :-

28mm f2.8 WIDE ANGLE
35-70mm f3.5 ZOOM LENS
70-210mm f4 ZOOM WITH MACRO
2x TELECONVERTER FOR B200 / BC CAMERAS

PRAKTICAR BAYONET MOUNT

Is it possible whether it can fit to my 450dslr...??
Do you recommend me to buy it or not...?How special the lenses is...??
Please,I do need help with this...Thanks!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
4 year old thread. If you google this, I am sure you will receive the answer..

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
28mm f2.8 WIDE ANGLE
35-70mm f3.5 ZOOM LENS
70-210mm f4 ZOOM WITH MACRO
2x TELECONVERTER FOR B200 / BC CAMERAS

PRAKTICAR BAYONET MOUNT

Is it possible whether it can fit to my 450dslr...??

Wow, I'm still subscribed to this thread?

Answer, No way are those going to fit your Canon DSLR. You need Canon EOS mount lenses. There are many of them on the uses market, look around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.