Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
trying to work out how much i can get for My Power

G5 1.8
3gb ram
500GB HDD (2x250's)
SuperDrive
128Mb 9600
comes with

Apple Key/Mouse

2 x 19" widescreen TFT's

all boxed

still not too sure about how much i should ask for it ?

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
liketom said:
trying to work out how much i can get for My Power

G5 1.8
3gb ram
500GB HDD (2x250's)
SuperDrive
128Mb 9600
comes with

Apple Key/Mouse

2 x 19" widescreen TFT's

all boxed

still not too sure about how much i should ask for it ?
Not as much as you probably want or figure that it is worth! ;)

However, google is your friend.

Check out eBay.

Check out refurbished computers.

Why are you selling?

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
sushi said:
Not as much as you probably want or figure that it is worth! ;)

However, google is your friend.

Check out eBay.

Check out refurbished computers.

Why are you selling?
i'm thinking of selling ready for the new Mac Pro's

maybe a new Base and some apple 23" or 30" ers

EDIT: ok now i'm upset ! looking on ebay at them prices just make me cry :(

i will be lucky to get £600 for the base

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
That low?!?! I'm also in the market to trade in the dual 1.8 with 3.5 GB ram for a new MacPro. We could however use this post for a reference that we all mention the price we got for our Mac.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Dreadnought said:
That low?!?! I'm also in the market to trade in the dual 1.8 with 3.5 GB ram for a new MacPro. We could however use this post for a reference that we all mention the price we got for our Mac.

I will be selling the same (1.8DP) but with 2GB Ram and 256VRAM as well as airport etc. Not sure what i would get for it but Im sure its quite a bit lower than I would be willing to accept.

With all the extras not too mention the added £380 graphics card I'd like £1000 for the base but I know I wont get close to that at. :( Cost nearly £2000 when new not including about £800 of extras like RAM, airport and new GPU. :rolleyes:

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
liketom said:
EDIT: ok now i'm upset ! looking on ebay at them prices just make me cry :(

i will be lucky to get £600 for the base
My guess that once the new Intel desktops are released, and they receive favorable reviews, the price will drop some more.

Sorry.

Here in Japan, believe it or not, the PowerMac G4 line (PM 933 for example) are still holding value. The G5 PowerMacs are cheaper. Probably because the PowerMac G4 line still can run System 9.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
sushi said:
My guess that once the new Intel desktops are released, and they receive favorable reviews, the price will drop some more.

Thats the other problem... do you need your macs to overlap so you can transfer stuff etc? Or can you do without one for a while and sell now and get a bit more money?

Its not a nice proposition, but opening the box on a new MacPro would make up for it :D

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
stuartluff said:
Thats the other problem... do you need your macs to overlap so you can transfer stuff etc? Or can you do without one for a while and sell now and get a bit more money?

Its not a nice proposition, but opening the box on a new MacPro would make up for it :D
not a problem for me my Macbook and Mac Mini can cover for the Powermac until the Mac Pro turns up :cool:

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
sAy2k said:
I'd check out everymac.com.... its a pretty good place to get a bead on how much your mac could be worth... I'm not too sure if the price they list is new or used... I'll assume used. Good luck.

http://everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_1.8.html

ummm... that price hasn't been updated since Dec 05... says so at the bottom of the page...

With all due respect, EveryMac.com is not the right place to check the current value of your machine. I run into this all the time from people selling stuff on craigslist. They're always asking waaaay too much, but their "research" (read: everymac.com) shows they're in the ball park. Don't get me wrong, everymac is a great reference site, and I use it extensively. Brock Kyle does a wonderful job with it. It's a decent starting point for pricing, but realistically, prices are changing waaay too quickly for everymac to remain accurate.

Ebay is a better indication, but if you're selling locally, you can probably add another $50 to $100 to the price because eBayers have to pay for shipping. Also there is more value in dealing locally (ie. you actually GET what you pay for), so you can command a bit of a premium. It will be no where near what you paid for it because of Intel.

I think going forward, Mac's aren't going to be able to hold their value as much as in the past because of Intel's rapid rate of pumping out newer better processors and motherboard designs. It will *almost* be like trying to sell a used PC.

ziwi

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Right back where I started...
I have a 1.5 yr old G5 and while I am excited about the new Pro machines, my existing one still does all of the work I need so in essence it is worth more to me than what I could get for it. My only concern is when they stop making software or supporting the G5's - I know what they say, but I am concerned about what they will do.

In the end - my advice is keep it or take a bath in selling it - if it does what you need it to do it seems like a no brainer...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.