Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Hi all, my Powerbook G4 1.33 with 1.25 Gb ram is running really hot. I know this is common. However, even with Energy Saver preferences turned down (Put hard disk to sleep whenever possible and Processor speed on *reduced*) and with minimal usage (Word, Mail - and I've checked, the CPU is only under normal load, mostly around 15-30%) the fans turn on within about 5 minutes, and just get louder from there. This is a two-year-old (almost) computer, and I've never had it this bad. I've checked the forums and they're all people saying that heat is normal for a powerbook, which I realize, but I really don't think it should be this bad.

Could a vent be blocked or something? If so, what should I take apart or do?
Thanks very much in advance.

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
I started using it this afternoon, after not using it for about 7 hours, and the temperatures, according to iStat Pro, were (deg. F - and it took me a moment to find paper and pencil, so it actually started ever so slightly lower):
CPU bottom: 102
Battery: 91
GPU: 118
Hard Drive: 100

After 10 minutes of using only Safari and Mail:
CPU b: 111
Batt: 91
GPU: 127
HD: 113

After a total of 15:
CPU b: 113
Batt: 91
GPU: 129
HD: 113

It appears to have leveled off there. For what it's worth, my apartment is between 75-80 most of the day. Any insights?

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
ricebag said:
Hi all, my Powerbook G4 1.33 with 1.25 Gb ram is running really hot. I know this is common. However, even with Energy Saver preferences turned down (Put hard disk to sleep whenever possible and Processor speed on *reduced*) and with minimal usage (Word, Mail - and I've checked, the CPU is only under normal load, mostly around 15-30%) the fans turn on within about 5 minutes, and just get louder from there. This is a two-year-old (almost) computer, and I've never had it this bad. I've checked the forums and they're all people saying that heat is normal for a powerbook, which I realize, but I really don't think it should be this bad.

Could a vent be blocked or something? If so, what should I take apart or do?
Thanks very much in advance.

Do you have apple care? I sounds like your thermsat gone, are the fans comming on.

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Sadly, I don't have applecare. What does that (thermstat?) mean?

Also, fwiw, I just checked again, and it just heated up 10 degrees in 5 minutes (from 91/87/105/91 to 100/87/116/100).

Oh, and the fans are coming on. Not yet right now, but they were on when I posted earlier.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Don't forget it's summer mate, just generally higher temps within a house will make your computer to run hotter etc. :) But still get it checked out :(

McBain

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2003
My 12" PowerBook with the same specs as the original poster's is having the same problem. I realize it's summer now (and one of the hotter ones at that), and it could be running hotter because of that, but this is ridiculous.

The lower left area, right below the keyboard, is so hot that I've actually taken the preposterous step of pasting a stack of paper cut to size on the case, on the left "rectangle" between the edge and the trackpad, as a pad of sorts to spare my poor palms.

I push my computer hard around 8-10 hours a day and my hands are getting roasted. Even if this is within Apple's specifications, it's still unacceptable.

jakeja

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2006
I had the same issue about 6 months ago. I removed some of the photos I had saved on my DESKTOP and it did the trick (just drag the icon into the trash or move it somewhere else I suppose). I think the rational was that one of my photos was corrupt or something. Sounds strange but it worked for me.

Good Luck.

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
If that is hot then my computer must be ready to ignite.

My computer runs at I dont 55 C most of the time. aka 130 F.

worriedmac

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2006
Another powerbook here

The temperatures that you mention are identical to the readout I get with istat and all that I'm doing right now is browsing. I have a Powerbook 17inch at 1.5Ghz. The area that you refer to seems to be where the harddrive is for what its worth, This isn't where heat tends to collect on mine. That occurs between the screen and keyboard and under heavy use this area becomes almost burning temperature. I haven't been worried really as it does cool down when I ease my use, these temperatures seem to be very normal. If you rest your hand on your the hardrive area of a laptop and this has happened for me, you can build quite a lot of heat up in the metal (laptop harddrives have no cooling system the fans are meant for the processor). If you just allow a little lift in your hand that will allow airing of the area, anything that you stuck on the laptop will make temperatures worse.

If it makes you feel any better (it does me), the new macbooks are running at 20C higher temperatures at the moment according to other discussions.

Hmmm I like the heat its good for the lap and you blitz through work fast!

ricebag

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 31, 2004
Indiana
Late addition

Hi,
I know this thread is so buried probably no one will ever see this, but my problem is actually not where the hard drive is, but at the upper left of the keyboard (as far as I can tell). Even under light use, with the processor speed on reduced, my fans come on in less than 20 minutes sometimes. According to istat pro, my GPU apparently steadily climbs in temperature until it gets around 130 F, and just sticks around there. I don't know if that's the problem. All I know is that on reduced processor speed, my fans almost never used to come on, especially under light use.
I hope someone has some ideas!
Thanks,
Tim

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
bwanac said:
If that is hot then my computer must be ready to ignite.

My computer runs at I dont 55 C most of the time. aka 130 F.

Since Ive gotten a new battery (recall) and now that it is probably only 70 in my room, instead of 90, my powerbook has cooled down by about 15 C. So much better to use! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.