Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
Anyone notice that the iPod HiFi is all but gone from the Apple store online? Actually had to search for it.. it's not even pictured or referenced in the iPod store front page. I was thinking of actually getting one after hearing it at the local pub, but now I'm a little gun shy.. any idea if there is a "newer, better," model for release shortly? Hope this is not the big announcement in August...

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Odd. I just browsed the whole store and no iPod Hi-Fi. Here are some reasons I think why:

Poor sales. If the Hi-Fi didn't do too well, than Jobs probobly thought it necessary to cancel such a product.

But, due to being cut so soon, a possible upgrade in the near future, but would only make sense to keep the Hi-Fi on the market until then...:confused:

Maybe it didn't satisfy Job's home audio system anymore?:rolleyes: :p

Maybe if Apple sold it for $100 less, I'm sure it would've done so much better.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Airtunes would be good. Radio would be nice, but there are too many preferences out there (satellite for the US, DAB for Europe, FM, AM) and you won't be able to please everyone.

I'd love an iPod Hi-Fi with Airtunes and a DAB tuner. That would mean the need for a display though.... and obviously a greater cost.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
rjgonzales said:
..... and had built in AirTunes and an option for FM. I would have bit.

You are right, the above would make it much more appealing, especially Airtunes.

I'm convinced. The HiFi is definatly not showing up on the store or on my Amex.

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
kildraik said:
Odd. I just browsed the whole store and no iPod Hi-Fi. Here are some reasons I think why:

I'm sorry but you cannot have been looking very hard. It took me two minutes to find from opening the new browser for the Apple site.

Check under "speakers" under iPod accesories

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
moot said:
I'm sorry but you cannot have been looking very hard. It took me two minutes to find from opening the new browser for the Apple site.

Check under "speakers" under iPod accesories

I think that's a lot of "effort" to find an Apple branded product that came out just a few month's ago... should be on the front page if it was worth it's weight.

On the front page it shows the following under top sellers (apple only, of course)

iPod nano
iPod
iTunes Gift Certificate
iTunes Music Card
iPod shuffle iPod
USB Power Adapter
Nike + iPod Sport Kit
AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod
Nike+ Sport Armband (Black/Red)
iPod nano Armbands

I'm waiting for the revision, if there is any.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's on the main 'iPod+iTunes' page.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 41

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Well, if they find it a poor seller, they shouldn't be surprised. Drop it by $150 (or $100 and include an AirPort Express), and they'll have an hit on their hands. A speaker system that also serves as a AirTunes basestation and as a router too! Funky, but awesome!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
When you actually see and hear them, then you realise that they're pretty good value. I own one and the power and clarity is outstanding, especially noticeable outdoors.

Everything about it is solidly and carefully designed and built. Dropping the price by $100-150 would substantially compromise their quality, particularly of the cabinet and drivers.

If you want something cheaper, then buy another product. It's not like there isn't a huge choice out there for iPod speakers...

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
CEAbiscuit said:
I think that's a lot of "effort" to find an Apple branded product that came out just a few month's ago... should be on the front page if it was worth it's weight.
Two clicks of the mouse is too much effort? You must own stock in Krispy Kreme and McDonalds.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
mojohanna said:
CEAbiscuit said:
Two clicks of the mouse is too much effort? You must own stock in Krispy Kreme and McDonalds.

Settle down,cowgirl. It sounds like you may actually own one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.