Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
I just got my MacBook today, and I'm currently charging it for the first time. When I plug the magsafe adapter into my machine, the light is green for a few moments but then turns orange. What does this mean? should I be worried?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That just means that the battery is charging. When it's all charged up, the light will turn green.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
dopey220 said:
I just got my MacBook today, and I'm currently charging it for the first time. When I plug the magsafe adapter into my machine, the light is green for a few moments but then turns orange. What does this mean? should I be worried?

orange means your battery is charging green means its charged.

It goes green when you first plug it in becuase the MB is deciding wether or not it needs to charge the battery, if it decides the battery needs charging charging the LED will turn orange to indicate that its charging the battery.

perfectly normall nothing to worry about

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2006
Excellent. I'm a fairly new mac user, so you can be expecting quite a few "stupid" questions like this from me in the days to come. I'll learn eventually.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
dopey220 said:
Excellent. I'm a fairly new mac user, so you can be expecting quite a few "stupid" questions like this from me in the days to come. I'll learn eventually.

no problem im a fairly new mac user myself

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
That's what we're here for...well, that and the free Macs that Apple distributes to MacRumors users every year. ;)

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
heres my question, Why do magsafes hiss/buzz when charging and the mac is on :confused:

It seems to do it in mac OSX but its not as noticeable in XP

is this the "cpu whine" ive heard about?

thegreatluke

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
Earth
dragon2611 said:
heres my question, Why do magsafes hiss/buzz when charging and the mac is on :confused:

It seems to do it in mac OSX but its not as noticeable in XP

is this the "cpu whine" ive heard about?
No.

Take it to the nearest Apple store and complain.

They'll fix it.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
thegreatluke said:
No.

Take it to the nearest Apple store and complain.

They'll fix it.

yeah it's the whine. the processor is in that area. it might sound like the magsafe but it is just at the left side of the macbook pro.

unless its the actual adapter.

dragon2611

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
markkk! said:
yeah it's the whine. the processor is in that area. it might sound like the magsafe but it is just at the left side of the macbook pro.

unless its the actual adapter.

dont know sounds like its the magsafe transformer humming :eek: but im pretty sure it didn't do it on XP.

I only hear it if the room is dead silent or if i have my ear near it (so not often)

ive heard other people say the same thing, take it back and get a new power unit only to find the new one does the same. Maybe it needs a PMU update to the macbooks?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
dragon2611 said:
I only hear it if the room is dead silent or if i have my ear near it (so not often)
If it's that quiet, I really wouldn't pay any attention to it--is it bothering you? Electronics make a bit of noise, after all, and if you put your ear to just about anything you're bound to hear something.

d-c's

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
urgent

i just split some cider on my laptop i dried it with towel and hair dryer. it went all the way through mac.

i took the battery out and hairdryed it and stuck it on radiator.

when i put cable back in it went green to orange

the mac wont turn on caus i bust the rechargable battery

does this mean i have to get it repaired?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I just got the logic board replaced through apple on my 2011 MacBook and now I get the black X on my MacBook. One of the solutions I've found was to reset the SMC which I just did. Not sure if this is a standard post step to do for the logic board replacement process but hopefully it is and they missed it.

Anyhow just reset the SMC and the battery is charging with an orange light on the magsafe charger and so far haven't seen an X on t he battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.