Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
HGW said:
nintendo will struggle this bout and joining forces with apple aint gonna strengthen that situation

apple should start an iPlay with oranges division & buy into VR technology after all they are innovators

apple have either done something great or not done it at all, why would you want see them with a dying horse

i was led to believe the mac gaming scene was fixed overnight with boot camp. please say if you tink otherwise.

Yea... struggle. what with all this positive attitude towards their system. with media going APE just to touch one. with a very low price point for the system and games that are targetted not to just games (a la PSP, PS3 and 360) but towards the non-gamers too (a la Nintendo DS), if you do a bit of research you'll find out that non-gamers are the vast majority.

you did a silly post :) though nothing can be said yet as it's not even out. but basically Nintendo have hit all the criteria to make a very successful video games machine. criteria hit by Sony in the PS1 and 2 worlds, and NES and SNES going further back.

About all this "last place" sentiments. Has anyone else seen the figures? Nintendo owns 88% of the handheld market. Which IIRC is more than the iPod market (wasn't that around 70%?). Nintendo consoles accounts for 77% of every single gaming machine sold in Japan. Sony accounts for 20% of the consoles sold. Heck, in Japan the Gamecube regularly sells more than the 360, though both figures are very low.

Since 2000 Nintendo has sold more gaming platforms than Sony. GBA has sold around the same as the PS2, at E3 2005 it was more though I don't have the latest numbers. Then add in the DS sales, then Gamecube figures to round it off.
Nintendo aren't 3rd place *and* they make more profit. Nintendo own the market.

Scruff

macrumors member
May 6, 2006
I don't think they'll merge or anything, but I could see them partnering up to make some games compatible for Apple hardware.

Apple should arrange a deal with Valve, I always feel like Steam is just the iTMS with a different design and, y'know, games instead of music. :p

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
dont get me wrong i like nintendo but this offering is weak, they have the worst graphics & sound of this generation. the controller is something like you would give to your mum and say look dont be afraid its just a remote.
to entice her to play. the name Wii is being ridiculed

they are targeting non gamers and taking a different approach but with a back to basics philosophy.

super profit is something you get when you overcharge your customers.

the gameplay better be really good (which nintendo can do) is all i can say.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
Error?

raggedjimmi said:
Nintendo consoles accounts for 77% of every single gaming machine sold in Japan. Sony accounts for 20% of the consoles sold. Heck, in Japan the Gamecube regularly sells more than the 360, though both figures are very low.

You sure you got that right and not flip-flopped? 77% for sony and 20% for nintendo in Japan seems more realistic. If what you say is true than the 'Romancing of the three kingdoms' series would be on GameCube and not PS2 :) (one can wish).

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
n8mac said:
You sure you got that right and not flip-flopped? 77% for sony and 20% for nintendo in Japan seems more realistic. If what you say is true than the 'Romancing of the three kingdoms' series would be on GameCube and not PS2 :) (one can wish).

japan is nintendo crazy. those statistics are right.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
The wii will win

HGW said:
dont get me wrong i like nintendo but this offering is weak, they have the worst graphics & sound of this generation.

Hi HGW,

I think you're missing the boat on this one. While the 360 has phenomenal graphics, the gameplay (and the attitude of the industry) hasn't innovated at all. It's completely stuck in the 90's with games that are all dark and morbid like a Marilyn Manson wannabe. It's gotten all too D&D for the general public.

What's more, these consoles are all using a slight variation of the original NES controller. That's like 1984 technology with a couple more buttons and an analog stick!

If Nintendo has done a good job with their controller, they are going to wipe the floor with both Sony and MS. Why would I drop $500+ for a console that doesn't offer anything more than eye candy when I could spend less than $300 for a machine with superior gameplay?

Even if the controller turns out to be "no big deal", the ability to download the original Super Mario Brothers and other games from the original NES is HUGE.

That means the regular market, plus a lot 30+ year olds buying this console to revisit childhood and share these titles with their kids. Mom's and dad's in my generation would love to show their kids how it's done with super mario. If I had kids, I know what they'd be getting for Christmas. :)

As far as Apple buying Nintendo? Nah... I don't buy it.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
cycocelica said:
Lets see here. I own a 360 Premium, 6 games, an extra wireless contorller, and a wireless connection thing for the 360 all while still under $600.

Nintendo fan boys are just as bad as Apple fan boys without the right knowledge.

That's impossible. A Premium system costs about $430 with tax, games run for around $60 each (so that's another $360 dollars right there) a wireless controller would run you about $50, and the Wi-Fi connector another $100, so that's $940 dollars at least.

And yes, I have an Xbox 360, Wi-Fi connector, an extra wireless controller, and I have five games (so only $60 cheaper).

On topic… I don't think Apple would buy Nintendo, though it would be very interesting if something like that happened.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
golferjh3 said:
Nintendo's a pathetic company that got muscled out of the industry they started. Apple shouldn't want anything to do with them.

At least they are trying something new with the "wii" controller.

A pathetic company that created almost every gaming tech used today?

They got muscled out of the industry?

Ok, the DS is currently the fastest selling video game system in history. In January of this year, it was sold out through all of Japan - the first time any Nintnedo product has ever been sold out entirely.

And to the guy that said they make crap consoles and games, the NES was stronger than it's competitor, the SNES the same, the N64 stronger than PSone and the first with the analog stick, the GameCube stronger than the PS2. Next they've simply chosen a different strategy, one in which PS3, in a panic mode, attempted to immitate when developers at and before E3 had all their focus and attention on Wii. Ubisoft at one point said they were ashamed of Sony's "me too" attitude at E3.

Humphreys

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2006
England
DavidLeblond said:
Next up: Apple to buy Starbucks? iCoffee? Ooo how about Apple buying the Gap to get into clothing!

I can write articles speculating about those too.

Well Gap do make the uniforms for Apple Store employees. Dun dun duuuuun.

Cygnus311

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
raggedjimmi said:
Yea... struggle. what with all this positive attitude towards their system. with media going APE just to touch one. with a very low price point for the system and games that are targetted not to just games (a la PSP, PS3 and 360) but towards the non-gamers too (a la Nintendo DS), if you do a bit of research you'll find out that non-gamers are the vast majority.

you did a silly post :) though nothing can be said yet as it's not even out. but basically Nintendo have hit all the criteria to make a very successful video games machine. criteria hit by Sony in the PS1 and 2 worlds, and NES and SNES going further back.

About all this "last place" sentiments. Has anyone else seen the figures? Nintendo owns 88% of the handheld market. Which IIRC is more than the iPod market (wasn't that around 70%?). Nintendo consoles accounts for 77% of every single gaming machine sold in Japan. Sony accounts for 20% of the consoles sold. Heck, in Japan the Gamecube regularly sells more than the 360, though both figures are very low.

Since 2000 Nintendo has sold more gaming platforms than Sony. GBA has sold around the same as the PS2, at E3 2005 it was more though I don't have the latest numbers. Then add in the DS sales, then Gamecube figures to round it off.
Nintendo aren't 3rd place *and* they make more profit. Nintendo own the market.

Exactly. Go read the reports from this year's E3. 6+ hour waits to play Wii were standard throughout the convention. The maximum wait reported to try PS3 was 30 minutes. No joke. That was confirmed by several sources and it wasn't becuase of a lack of systems or games on hand for Nintendo (they had 27 playable games), or an excess of PS3 systems on hand. Throw in games like an all new Zelda and Metroid on LAUNCH day with a new Smash Brothers and Mario Galaxy soon after, with a launch price of $200-250, and you've got a system that's looking well on the way to success.

n8mac

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2006
Ohio
markkk! said:
japan is nintendo crazy. those statistics are right.

Wow. I'm moving to Japan :D .
But seriously, the 'Romancing of the three kingdom' series on PS1 and PS2 and not Nintendo seems to contradict those statistics since it's made in Japan! And there are other games as well that I can't recall at the moment. I don't get it!:confused:

gh0sted

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
I want a Super Mario Edition Mac Mini :p

I can see it now, Bill Gates popping out of the green tube to try and eat Luigi! Sweet.

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
HGW said:
dont get me wrong i like nintendo but this offering is weak, they have the worst graphics & sound of this generation. the controller is something like you would give to your mum and say look dont be afraid its just a remote.
to entice her to play. the name Wii is being ridiculed

Here's the thing: you're an idiot. It isn't just about graphics. I used to be a hardcore gamer back when I was a kid. But then it just got boring and repetitive. There was nothing different about any of the systems except better graphics. That only gets you so far. At a certain point, why get anything new when I still enjoy my Super Nintendo?

For the first time in about 15 years, I'm excited about a video game system and it's because of all the innovations with the Wii. It looks FUN!

I couldn't give a rat's arse about fancy graphics. They don't make a boring game any less boring.

gh0sted

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2006
generationxwing said:
I couldn't give a rat's arse about fancy graphics. They don't make a boring game any less boring.

That's true, the original Spawn on PSOne was graphically awesome (for the time) but the game was so boring I couldn't make it past the second stage without shutting it off in disgust. I don't see why people are knocking on the Wii control system... being interactive with you game rather than button mashing sounds completely amazing. Mainly I think people who are talking down Nintendo are either XBox or PS loyalist who can't see a decent thing with any other system. Each system has it's strengths, but Wii offers innovation beyond a new graphics chip.

I think multiplayer on Wii is going to be way more fun than any system ever. Talk about a system made to enjoy.

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
look mummy i can wii wii

nobody has mentioned the battery life of the controller yet, it wont come with rechargeables, its not possible to plug in a cable & how much are you williing to spend on attachments. you'd better stock up on those alkaline battery's cause your gonna need to change them once a week.

pavetheforest

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2006
Pennsylvania
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmint

This would be MINT. It would give nintendo the edge it needs and make apple into an all around MONSTER! I've always held Nintendo in much higher esteem then the PS and XBOX...it probably wont happen, but due to the nature of both companies, it seems feasable. :cool:

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Apple won't buy Nintendo - but here's what I think they *should* do:

Make Nintendo games playable on Apple computers. Maybe Apple could offer a Nintendo accessory that fit carts from all generations and systems.

The reason this will be good for both companies follows:

Nintendo won't get shoved out of the market because nobody's going to buy a minimum $600 machine to play Nintendo games - so their hardware sales are safe. They would also sell more copies of games to Apple owners.

Apple needs a shot in the gaming market-arm. Playing Nintendo games out of the box would rate high on the kick ass meter. This way Nintendo does all the game development and Apple gets to not be three steps behind in gaming anymore. We buy more Big N games, Apple gets credit, Nintendo gets sales.

win-win, right?

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
HGW said:
nobody has mentioned the battery life of the controller yet, it wont come with rechargeables, its not possible to plug in a cable & how much are you williing to spend on attachments. you'd better stock up on those alkaline battery's cause your gonna need to change them once a week.
Oh, well. I'm convinced. The Wii is doomed to failure! I mean, there's no way Nintendo or another third party will come out with rechargeable batteries. And they are tough to find at any hardware store, or Wal Mart.

Seriously. You have not provided a single valid argument against the Wii. You have contributed absolutely nothing to this discussion. I have no problem with people who don't like the Wii or won't buy it. Frankly, I don't give a crap what you spend your mom's money on.

But please try and have something of substance to offer. You come off as nothing more than some idiotic, spoiled little 11 year old brat with no friends. And, well, no one likes an idiot.

Come back when you have something valuable to say.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
It'd be nice if apple teamed up with nintendo to release something but i don't think apple is ready to venture into the gaming industry just yet. I think their focuses are more on the intel transition for now.

HGW

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
if ive contributed nothing worth while in this debate why have you responded, seems like you had a bit of a childish attack and i brought it out of you hmm,
again to reiterate, those batteries are gonna last easily less than a week, they are not gonna supply you with rechargables, seems worth mentioning

i want a wii (hehe)

also worth mentioning is how many add on peripherals your gonna have to buy and are not included, the laser reciever, the standard controller, the remote controller (included), the nun chucka, the gun handle, a gamecube controller, a ds, if you buy a a few games you might want them all. $$$

this debate having gone off topic now belongs in the gaming section

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.