Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killsquad92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Hay all l'm mat though l'll address mysefl as killsquad92
well the reason l'm here is l want to find out a few things and wish to learn alot of cool and interesting stuff so l'll break it down
ok well l wanna
- learn to program in genral and make a serious program (with some conditions)
Questions:
well first u gotta know l'm 14 and have a fairly basic knowlage of programing
so yea now u know that
- wat program should l make my program/game in so tat it can go online?
if l'm asking the wrong questions or l'm not making any sense tell me
is wat l'm asking is not possible plz tell me why and where l could find a program that l could write my game l want to
anywho
yea l got not that much or an idea of wat l'm saying so if u can understand this plz try to answer as much as u can or ask me to revise wat l have said
yea if u have any smart ideas or comments feel free to email me @ killsquad92@hotmail.com
if it is seriously good or u think l'll be most pleased with it then email other wise if it's just a recomedation just ethier tell me on this post or pm me
thanx
-killsquad92-
dam l typed alot about some l got no idea about
LOL

killsquad92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Basiclly

Wat is the best program for me to write a internet conpadible game (p.s l'm on a mac) so that l can play it with friends?
-killsquad92-

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
If this is your first project then forget about it. You need to start with something acheivable by a total newbie.

If you can actually program (and writing webpages in HTML does not count) then you are probably really asking what language or environent to use. Not which program.

If you are wanting to write something cross platform (will run on Windows as well as OSX) then Java might be a good language to use as it is cross-platform and has reasonably easy to use networking classes built in.

In terms of programming environments then you are probably looking at XCode or Eclipse.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
robbieduncan is right, don't design Unreal 2010 - The Attack of the Clowns, start with something simple.
Try Alice, from http://www.alice.org
It''s free, it's easy to use, has lots of users online to talk to, and has some of the same features the big boys have. You'll get used to the terms used and such, making the next step on your journey easier.
I should know... I started what I thought was a simple program, and have been working on it with a master coder partner for 1 1/2 YEARS.
Set your sites too high, you WILL fail.
Pay your dues, kid.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If you don't know C++, learn that, once you learn that go here and go through a tutorial to make a tetris clone - most if not all game programmers start with tetris: http://www.aaroncox.net/
He takes you through step by step of how to make a tetris clone, of course you'll have to setup the XCode environment (but I can help you out there) - for tetris, it requires SDL. SDL is awesome.

EDIT: Also, Python is pretty good for making games I hear, plus it has network support so you can play it online - a lot of programmers make their games in Python and its relatively easy. e.g.
Code:
print "Hello"
Hello
print "123"

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
killsquad92 said:
Hay all l'm mat though l'll address mysefl as killsquad92

Go to http://www.apple.com/developer and look around. I recommend getting a free online membership to ADC (Apple Developer Connection). Next you download XCode, which is the complete software development system for Macintoshs, that way you have exactly the same tools that the programmer at Apple use to develop MacOS X. Then start reading, reading, reading, reading.

And one tip: Please do yourself and everyone else a favour and use correct English. Otherwise, nobody will take you serious. Programming requires concentration and precision. A compiler doesn't accept any incorrect spelling, you have to get it right or it won't work. To a programmer, using Plz instead of Please is not funny, it is taken as lack of respect (for the language, and for quality in general).

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
gnasher729 said:
Go to http://www.apple.com/developer and look around. I recommend getting a free online membership to ADC (Apple Developer Connection). Next you download XCode, which is the complete software development system for Macintoshs, that way you have exactly the same tools that the programmer at Apple use to develop MacOS X. Then start reading, reading, reading, reading.

And one tip: Please do yourself and everyone else a favour and use correct English. Otherwise, nobody will take you serious. Programming requires concentration and precision. A compiler doesn't accept any incorrect spelling, you have to get it right or it won't work. To a programmer, using Plz instead of Please is not funny, it is taken as lack of respect (for the language, and for quality in general).

ADC is awesome, yeah sign up for the free membership.

In response to the 2nd paragraph, yes you need to properly name, spell, and capitalize items:
In c, c++, objective-c, I think java as well, and a lot of other languages:
int x is completely different from int X
int x != int X
So if you have a function called: myFractionAddition, you can't just type it in as myfractionaddition because it won't be able to find a function with that name. Besides spelling, capitalization is important - HTML it doesn't matter, in high-level languages it does (though C/C++ are medium level)

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
killsquad92 said:
Wat is the best program for me to write a internet conpadible game (p.s l'm on a mac) so that l can play it with friends?
-killsquad92-

First I recommend that you get a keyboard with a working 'h' key. You're going to need it....

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
demallien said:
First I recommend that you get a keyboard with a working 'h' key. You're going to need it....
Well first of all:
killsquad92 said:
-killsquad92-

He got the h there - just common spelling mistakes - (compatible) - we all do them, so don't hassle him about that.

macsrockmysocks

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2006
I started with python. Very, Very easy to learn. As someone above me posted, the code is very simple. Typing "print" to make Python say it( or whatever) is just so simple. Hey wait, I am 14 too! Maybe, if you start working with Python also, we can make some cool stuff!

Caezar

macrumors 6502
macsrockmysocks said:
I started with python. Very, Very easy to learn. As someone above me posted, the code is very simple. Typing "print" to make Python say it( or whatever) is just so simple. Hey wait, I am 14 too! Maybe, if you start working with Python also, we can make some cool stuff!

May I suggest you help that guy create a new spell-check program for his own use...:p

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
exabytes18 said:
I recommend Java and then make the move to C++ or something else.

As for int x != int X.... potentially, they could equal each other. ;)

Anyways, with either language, you can use OpenGL for your graphics. Check out http://nehe.gamedev.net/
Nehe is a god of OpenGL graphics and tutorials IMO.

Potentially it could. X = 100 and x = X.

killsquad92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
Right

Well l thank all that said something constructive, anyone else you gotta give us kids a chance + l do have a h key look!
ok well l write like in msn less typeing means less reading simple (but unless you use msn you will be like WTF?? is he talking about)(unless you know what WTF stands for don't ask)
ok l can type normal and l do when ever it is called for on here you people are humans (thanks to one of you l can not remeber your name but yes we all do make mistakes(feel free to tell me your name l'll put it in here))
ok now l'm going to stop with the h bolding now it's annoying
to the serious stuff
l'll reread everyones post once more and click all the links and have a look see but l want every one to put down what they think is the best ONE not 2 or 3 just one
l'm forgeting something l'll put it in later
-killsquad92-
+ everyone does not need to tell me l need a spell checker l don't think l made a msn word in this except the exclusion of the numbers
:mad:

the guys name l was refuring to was: slooksterPSV

killsquad92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2006
gnasher729 said:
Then start reading, reading, reading, reading.

Programming requires concentration and precision. A compiler doesn't accept any incorrect spelling, you have to get it right or it won't work. To a programmer, using Plz instead of Please is not funny, it is taken as lack of respect (for the language, and for quality in general).

Ok l had to quote this but a few things
(l even caped Ok)
reading, where to read from? books or is it on there?
..... programming requires ..... . . precision. .. . . .doesn't yes l know thats why l don't use it if l'm doing something with a computer casue normal humans understand it + you had to of understood it if you could provide an explanation.
o and by the l am not the best speller that l'll admit to but l got phonics so at least u'll understand it if you use phonics and so can l but l'll use a spell checker in computer stuff casue it's not human and doesn't make mistakes(compters can make mistakes just very rarely)
-killsquad92-

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
killsquad92 said:
Well l thank all that said something constructive, anyone else you gotta give us kids a chance + l do have a h key look!
ok well l write like in msn less typeing means less reading simple (but unless you use msn you will be like WTF?? is he talking about)(unless you know what WTF stands for don't ask)
ok l can type normal and l do when ever it is called for on here you people are humans (thanks to one of you l can not remeber your name but yes we all do make mistakes(feel free to tell me your name l'll put it in here))
ok now l'm going to stop with the h bolding now it's annoying
to the serious stuff
l'll reread everyones post once more and click all the links and have a look see but l want every one to put down what they think is the best ONE not 2 or 3 just one
l'm forgeting something l'll put it in later
-killsquad92-
+ everyone does not need to tell me l need a spell checker l don't think l made a msn word in this except the exclusion of the numbers
:mad:

the guys name l was refuring to was: slooksterPSV
um... uh... an h not a h lol, just kidding, thanx for the props, we all use common slang so we can get our point across quicker, e.g. I typed in thanx instead of thanks, lol instead of laugh out loud, some of these people need to have a little more respect for the younger and the next gen of kids. Yes that means we're old everyone, lol is the past, rotmhloslel could be a whole paragraph for next-gen kids, but its jibberish to us (I know I have spelling mistakes, and my keyboard is screwy again :( I gotta call apple again!???? I hope not). anyways, good luck and if you need help you can aksk here anytime, I gtg, keyboard is messed up

therevolution

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2003
killsquad92 said:
o and by the l am not the best speller that l'll admit to but l got phonics so at least u'll understand it if you use phonics

Okay, look: I think we can all overlook a few typos here and there. They happen. But you write in a way that just craps all over the English language. Why should I offer advice to anyone who forces me to sit here and translate this gibberish in front of me? You aren't showing me any respect, so why should I do anything for you?

That's what those of us who are picking on you for your atrocious grammar and spelling are trying to tell you - you're putting off a lot of people with your laziness, defiance, or whatever the hell it is that's causing you to write this way. You'd get better responses if you cleaned it up.

Whether you believe it or not, this IS constructive advice. Being 14 is no excuse, either.

chrismccorkle

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2006
just for fun i signed him up for newsletter-mania™: the world's biggest online mass newsletter center.

have fun!

(seriously.. why is this kid here?)

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Gotta say... I really hate it when people can't speak proper English. The odd shortning of a word is ok, but plain bad use of grammar and no punctuation is sooo annoying, ambiguous and wrong.

Rant over.

But yeh, I don't know if anyone has already posted it (I only skimmed the posts), but Dark Basic is quite good (sorry no link, Google yourself!) for programming half decent games. Check that out.

I started my programming life using BASIC, then Pascal, then a bit of Perl through to PHP and webpages, then got sick of webpages so went onto C++ and at that point I started uni doing Engineering and we use it a lot. Now I am learning how to use Qt. It took me many many years to understand programming and good technique - you just have to work at it. You won't become a programming genius overnight.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
mattjgalloway said:
Gotta say... I really hate it when people can't speak proper English. The odd shortning of a word is ok, but plain bad use of grammar and no punctuation is sooo annoying, ambiguous and wrong.

Rant over.

But yeh, I don't know if anyone has already posted it (I only skimmed the posts), but Dark Basic is quite good (sorry no link, Google yourself!) for programming half decent games. Check that out.

I started my programming life using BASIC, then Pascal, then a bit of Perl through to PHP and webpages, then got sick of webpages so went onto C++ and at that point I started uni doing Engineering and we use it a lot. Now I am learning how to use Qt. It took me many many years to understand programming and good technique - you just have to work at it. You won't become a programming genius overnight.

I agree--save this for IM.

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
therevolution said:
Okay, look: I think we can all overlook a few typos here and there. They happen. But you write in a way that just craps all over the English language. Why should I offer advice to anyone who forces me to sit here and translate this gibberish in front of me? You aren't showing me any respect, so why should I do anything for you?

That's what those of us who are picking on you for your atrocious grammar and spelling are trying to tell you - you're putting off a lot of people with your laziness, defiance, or whatever the hell it is that's causing you to write this way. You'd get better responses if you cleaned it up.

Whether you believe it or not, this IS constructive advice. Being 14 is no excuse, either.

Exactly... Also, it isn't just those of us over the age of 14 that have problems with this style of writing. I live in France, and having to translate their equivalent msn-speak just gives me an absolute headache.

And no killsquad, writing using phonetic spelling doesn't get you off the hook either. Same thing, I can literally spend minutes trying to figure out a sentence when someone pulls that crap in French. This forum isn't made for US homeboy wannabes, it has people from all over the world on it, and not all of them watch US television. Try showing THEM a bit of respect. ya down n tat?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
therevolution said:

Not only that, but not everyone has english as its native language. While I do know most of the 'net acronyms and I mostly watch english TV, this "IRC/IM sp34k" is getting annoying and extremely hard to understand, especially when people don't even structure their sentences correctly.

I do agree with all your points, therevolution.

I guess what I'm saying is about the same as demallien except that I live in Quebec and speak french too.

demallien said:
This forum isn't made for US homeboy wannabes, it has people from all over the world on it, and not all of them watch US television.

I mostly watch USA TV channels. And not only "proper english" TV shows like Extreme Engineering either, I do watch "Monster Garage" and "American Chopper - and even they are easier to follow than killsquad92.

Not trying to flame you, killsquad92, but MacForums isn't a proper place for "l33t sp34k" or "IM/IRC speak", period. General acroynms like "lol" aside, of course. ;-)

almightyshoe

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2006
B-Town, India
Don't pay your dues. Coding a text RPG on an Apple II might have worked wonders for us when we were munchkins, but it's absolutely useless now. I recommend taking an intro to C course at your local community college, as well as the beginning comp sci class, which will teach you jack and squat about computers but you'll get some Visual Basic time in. I wouldn't bother doing anything previous to that, since you will NEVER use it, and in another 4 years they'll be even more archaic. Plus, since you're in high school, it'll be about 20 bucks for the course, AND you'll get some awesome college resume fodder, but only if you work hard.

The Commandments:

1) Start small, work hard.
2) Shower daily. Chicks don't dig the smell of feet and fritos.
3) Start small, work hard.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
almightyshoe said:
Don't pay your dues. Coding a text RPG on an Apple II might have worked wonders for us when we were munchkins, but it's absolutely useless now. I recommend taking an intro to C course at your local community college, as well as the beginning comp sci class, which will teach you jack and squat about computers but you'll get some Visual Basic time in. I wouldn't bother doing anything previous to that, since you will NEVER use it, and in another 4 years they'll be even more archaic. Plus, since you're in high school, it'll be about 20 bucks for the course, AND you'll get some awesome college resume fodder, but only if you work hard.

The Commandments:

1) Start small, work hard.
2) Shower daily. Chicks don't dig the smell of feet and fritos.
3) Start small, work hard.

I like 2D rpg's the best, so make some of those =P

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.