Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
I have always wondered if there was such a thing as "etiquette" when it comes to introducing yourself to someone, whether they be of the opposite sex or not. I am going to a music concert myself on thurs. and wanted to know on effective ways on breaking the ice with some of the people I may meet there. In the past I always would use phrases such as "so that one guy... yeah he's got a mean guitar solo... yeah...." Often times this results in people who turn their backs to me, especially if their in groups for some reason.

Women, lol anytime I introduce myself at an event they immediately are quick to say "oh but im leaving soon" and I feel like saying "dude, can we talk? Im not asking you to sleep with me. I don't even know your name and just five seconds ago all I said was hello... Jeebus..."

So um yeah, they say that "its not what you know, but who you know". Do you believe that holds true anywhere? :eek:

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
Look them in the eyes, smile, say "Hello!"

...and shake their hand if necessary.

(Oh yeah, and if your introducing yourself to a member of the opposite sex, remember that their eyes are about 12 inches higher than your looking ;))

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
posting a pic of you would be a good idea, you don't want to act a way that looks like you trying to be someone your not.

Applespider

macrumors G4
CubaTBird said:
In the past I always would use phrases such as "so that one guy... yeah he's got a mean guitar solo... yeah...." Often times this results in people who turn their backs to me, especially if their in groups for some reason.

Either see if you can get chatting to someone while queuing to get in or at the bar... where you and they are somewhat captive and there's not much else to do so they might as well start talking to you. Otherwise, look for places where people might congregate - railings near stairs etc - where again you might find people likely to pass the time of day rather than in the middle of the floor in front of the stage.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
"Hi. I'm Mr. Durden (extend right hand), and you are...?"

Allow for response.

Nice to meet you, (say the persons name)".

Then you can follow that up with some sort of question to allow the person you just met to talk about themselves for a moment. People love to talk about themselves. You just have to nod and pay attention. It can be a bit awkward meeting people, but once you do it a few times you wont even think about it any more. Good luck, and enjoy the show.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So how about 'get your coat love you've pulled'

or 'that dress looks nice. I't would look great on my bedroom floor'

or the old faithful 'how do you like your eggs in the morning'!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Look them in the eyes, smile, say "Hello!"

...and shake their hand if necessary.

(Oh yeah, and if your introducing yourself to a member of the opposite sex, remember that their eyes are about 12 inches higher than your looking ;))

Since this thread has been resurrected from 2006, I'd say, still solid advice. And in addition to eye contact, being a good listener is also very important, and will set you apart from many people who are good talkers, but poor listeners.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.