Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
just wondering if apple includes a firewire cable with a new power mac or if I need to buy one myself.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-wormy

Good question. Every PMG4 I've purchased up throught the Quicksilver has a 6-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable. Now that's not a full Firewire cable of course. So I guess the answer is no.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
thanks! actually I only need a 4 pin to 6 pin cable. any idea how long it is?

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Neither my Quicksilver nor my MDD came with a FireWire cable.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So far all of the firewire peripherals I have bought have come with firewire cables.

The only reasons I can think of why someone might need to buy a firewire cable are:
  1. Need a longer (or shorter) cable.
  2. Use a Mac in firewire target mode and they have no cables.
  3. replace a bad/damaged cable

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
Oh ok, I bought a Sony DVCAM deck and it didnt come with one. Guess I'll just order one from Apple before my computer gets here.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
One more question, is the Firewire 400 I/O on the power mac 4 or 6 pin? Just want to make sure I get the right cable.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
none of the macs come with them anymore, they used to. all the macs come with a modem wire but thats it. the powermacs come with a usb extension because they know people like to put their powermacs on the floor and the keyboard needs to reach if they dont have an apple monitor.

iJon

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by iJon
none of the macs come with them anymore, they used to. all the macs come with a modem wire but thats it. the powermacs come with a usb extension because they know people like to put their powermacs on the floor and the keyboard needs to reach if they dont have an apple monitor.

iJon

cat5 cable too ;)

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002

iJon

I believe that now they no longer come with an extension cable for the usb either, now what ADC monitors have the handy USB ports on the back... which is really sad because the cable is so short.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by timbloom
I believe that now they no longer come with an extension cable for the usb either, now what ADC monitors have the handy USB ports on the back... which is really sad because the cable is so short.

If they don't come with the USB extension that would be a very recent thing. My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac I got in August came with one.

timbloom

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
If they don't come with the USB extension that would be a very recent thing. My Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac I got in August came with one.

Well then, I must be wrong then, when I recently worked at a computer store they did not come with them, but I went back to college right when the MDD's started to ship. That could explain it.

wormy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2002
Originally posted by MacBandit
Don't buy one from Apple. Get a Belkin or other major name brand one you will pay half the price.

Hmmm, I've heard from some Final Cut users that they've had problems with some non-Apple cables and their dv decks. I'm just gonna stick with Apple. $27 w/free shipping doesn't seem so bad after taking a trip tp Best Buy or Radioshack.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by wormy
Hmmm, I've heard from some Final Cut users that they've had problems with some non-Apple cables and their dv decks. I'm just gonna stick with Apple. $27 w/free shipping doesn't seem so bad after taking a trip tp Best Buy or Radioshack.
No need to deal with idiot clerks, no need to go and find out they don't have any.

And the cables aren't really that much less expensive unless you go with a no-name cable. Which means you have no clue what you're really getting.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I got one with my iMac DV, but not with my iBook. I guess they included them in the iMac DV's probably because they were touting digital video at the time.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
. . . all the macs come with a modem wire but thats it. . . .
iJon

Love that "modem" wire. I have a hundred extra phone line cables (cat3, right?) lying around. Is the modem cable any different from those? :rolleyes:

Why not just call it a "phone cord," or would it sound like less of a bargain if that's what they called it?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.