Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
Has anyone read the latest article on Think Secret ? Apparently Apple has kept its customers in the dark about the 17" availability. We may not really see them in the channels until April if you can believe it. And if you're ordering from a retailer, forget it. If Apple can't deliver within a quarter, they shouldn't be announcing new products plain and simple. I guess the truth was they had nothing else too exciting on the hardware side in January, so they had to announce them. But when you see a bunch on the floor, you'd think they are steps away or already are producing them. Guess not. Apple may innovate, but they keep repeating the mistakes of past--I say it's time to replace their entire production division because they get an F.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
They probably gave the most optimistic date for being able to ship the notebooks. Like usual, their estimates are far from the truth. It really isn't Apple's fault that a company in Taiwan is having problems with the production.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
whatever the case, this is a drag. I imagine it will push back the release of 15" alubooks and future upgrades.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
But the point is, if Apple KNEW about this in January, why not tell the buying public?

We can say it's the Taiwanese plant's fault, but this problem is happening year after year. Maybe they need to look for better production facilities...or better production managers. It's a tough job market--I'm sure there are more willing and able people out there.

nanosound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
So now they want to regain the 5% market share they once had. It sure looks uphill from here.

LosJackal

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2003
Chicago, IL
Jobs and the press release said "available in February". With that, and being one of the first to order, I would expect to be typing on one day after tomorrow at the latest. So Apple has just one more day to ship it to me in time.

But also at the end of the day I ordered, Jan 7, I received an email from the Apple store legitimately saying 7-10 weeks (since the original 30 days I saw on the Apple Store online was out of whack). That technically gives Apple until March 21st until they miss the deadline they gave me.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
5% is a good start. In a few years, they could get up to 10%. That would be a really big milestone. When you get more volume of sales, prices can then come down. Also, with more sales, there will be more incentive for IBM or MOTO to keep up with development of the processors.

Xapplimatic

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2001
California
I have one answer from Apple on this..

An Apple Store rep in San Diego told me in the store that their 17" PowerBook on display was a pre-production model, and that full production models are on hold because they are waiting for "10.2.4 +"... an upgraded version of 10.2.4 which has a special control panel for controlling the keyboard backlighting.. So it would appear this is not an actual production facility problem, but a hold up in software.. an engineering problem..

-Matt

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
And they are still glued to the g4! What the hell is going on over there STEVE? They have a great software division, a great style/art form. but the basic hardware division sucks! 100 & 133 busses? come on! DDR that is not fully utilized? come on! G4 chip that lack real progress! come on!They have danced and danced around the the real hardware issues and now saying they have a product but not really having it until the following QTR! COME ON! Its as bad as those European Saddam lovers!

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
They won't do anything to improve on the G4 bus speed or anything of that nature. They are just passing along products to keep people buying until they have the 970-based Macs ready to go.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I dont think this would be from a software problem. apple can usually fix a software problem in a day.

iJon

nanosound

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 22, 2002
Xapp--

Don't tell me it will be weeks until they install in a software update? That could be downloadable, no?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by FelixDerKater
They won't do anything to improve on the G4 bus speed or anything of that nature. They are just passing along products to keep people buying until they have the 970-based Macs ready to go.
And Apple scratches its head and wonders why 3% market share? WAKE UP!

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I'm a bit confused on Apple strategies with this. we all know apple is trying to move away from the "expo" announcements yet they still announced two of their new powerbooks. I'm confused why they didn't intorduce jsut the software an mwsf and introduce the powerbooks on a tuesday like they did with everything else. They could have waited until they knew the 12pb was ready or when they had a good firm etimateo n the shipment of the 17s. I hate to say slow and steady wins the race but maybe they need to take their times iwth this stuff. Thinksecret did some great working trying to note dates based on all of their data.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
bus

the bus speed of the 17" powerbook is actually 166Mhz, because it usues PC2700 or DDR 333, so it is actually better than you think... yea, i'd like to see a better processor in there, but for a laptop of that thinkness, and size... a 1Ghz processor is excellent. Becides, PC companies use 1Ghz P3-m's in their portables. And a 1Ghz G4 beats a P3-m. I wouldn't mind seeing apple use an Intel processor. And I know many people out there hate intel, I don't... I hate Windows. Intel makes fine processors, and the P4 of today is a totally different (in terms of performance) than the original P4. Also the prescott will enhance the performance as well. But I know that apple will never use an Intel chip.

Oh, and if you disagree with what I say, please don't flame me, but respectfully disagree...

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
No Flames it just pisses me off that they ask such high prices for their stuff and then to keep lagging along with that darn motorola. And still DDR is not being utilized 100% They need a new chip maker! and a upgradeable imac LCD! All these darn games makes me want to scream!

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
This is the reason why Apple wants to get away from Macworld expos, they have to launch big products on IDG's schedule NOT theirs.

Once apple can have their own shows or whatever at any time they want, they can always wait until their supplies are large enough to launch.

I think I'm beginning to dislike MW as much as steve seems to....

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
may cancel

If the thing isn't shipped on March 20th (my pushed back date), I'm cancelling and buying a refurbished TiBook. I can't stand working 8 hours a day on my iBook any more. I'll stretch it a month, but no longer.

(Yeah, I talk big now. We'll see on March 20th, and the ship date comes and goes, what I'll really do).

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
No Flames it just pisses me off that they ask such high prices for their stuff and then to keep lagging along with that darn motorola. And still DDR is not being utilized 100% They need a new chip maker! and a upgradeable imac LCD! All these darn games makes me want to scream!

sheesh. if you don't like it, go get a pc and linux or something. you cry more than my baby nephew.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Originally posted by zimv20
sheesh. if you don't like it, go get a pc and linux or something. you cry more than my baby nephew.
Another Saddam lover wining about us freeing the iraqi people. Apple is and has been screwing up. this is a fact or didnt you read this post? April? they announced it in Jan. i guess this happens when you change products and manufactors! And no i wont will not and cant ever buy a crappy PC But i will cry all i want to when apple does stupid things!How olds your nephew?maybe by the time he is grown up apple will have ditched Motorola;)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
And they are still glued to the g4! What the hell is going on over there STEVE? They have a great software division, a great style/art form. but the basic hardware division sucks! 100 & 133 busses? come on! DDR that is not fully utilized? come on! G4 chip that lack real progress! come on!They have danced and danced around the the real hardware issues and now saying they have a product but not really having it until the following QTR! COME ON! Its as bad as those European Saddam lovers!

Okay. Seriously. WTF do you want Apple to do, rub a magic lamp and pull a G5 (or whatever) out of thin air?

Please tell me what options Apple currently has in terms of proc's and mobo's (i.e. "real" DDR). You are bitching at the top of your lungs at the current situation so please provide viable alternatives. :)

Lethal

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
While back, didn't Apple automatically upgrade PowerMac orders when they couldn't deliver on time? Maybe Apple will treat you guys who ordered 17inch PowerBook with 1.25Ghz G4 instead of 1Ghz.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.