Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
If you've seen the new Motorola products (KRZR, RIZR, RAZR XX) you'll find that they're amazing. Does anybody know when these products will come out in the US? Also, any idea on the carriers? The KRZR is a GSM phone, so I guess it will come out with either Cingular or T Mobile. Any ideas? Thanks!

(BTW you can see these products on motorola.com)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
iMacZealot said:
If you've seen the new Motorola products (KRZR, RIZR, RAZR XX) you'll find that they're amazing.

Motorola and amazing do not belong in the same sentence. Yes, they look nice, but they're still Motorola's. Same old crappy, buggy, sluggish UI, and if anything like the RAZR, breaks like glass. It would be like Daewoo making a car that resembles a Ferrari Enzo. Sexy, yes, but it's still a Daewoo.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
yg17 said:
Motorola and amazing do not belong in the same sentence. Yes, they look nice, but they're still Motorola's. Same old crappy, buggy, sluggish UI, and if anything like the RAZR, breaks like glass. It would be like Daewoo making a car that resembles a Ferrari Enzo. Sexy, yes, but it's still a Daewoo.

I think the Motos are okay in terms of the OS in it. I used a v188 in Asia for two weeks and it worked great. I just can't wait to get my hands on a PEBL, but I have to wait until my Verizon contract is up, which isn't for a while.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
yg17 said:
Totally agree. I got a Slivr because I thought it looked cool, and now I can't wait to unload the thing. Motorola products are, in my experiece, of inferior quality and should be avoided.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Pretty sure all the new Moto phones just announced use the new Linux-based UI.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I swore by Motorola for many years, then kicked them to the curb after my A630. That phone has some great design ideas, but the software was crap.

I am so done with them, I will not buy another. I have a treo 700p now, and totally loving it.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
I preferred my v188 to my Samsung A670. It had better reception, a better interface (in my mind), although the A670 did have a better design. I don't think the SLVRs are very good phones. Plus I'll admit the design is rubbish on that. The PEBL, on the other hand, is awesome! I recall it having a bit of a different UI than the v188, too. The new phones do appear to have a newer OS and UI. I think that most Motos are better and cooler than any Samsung phone I've had that I used to swear by. Look at the A790 ---- then look at the RAZR.

jaysmith

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2005
i just got a moto v360 prepaid phone, and i love it. my last phone was garbage so this is miles ahead. had all the features i want, and i haven't seen anything too bad about the UI, but then again i don't have much gto compare to. either way, i got a great deal, which is something rare in the cell phone biz.

sure they're trendy and easy to hate on, but it shouldn't give motorola an entirely bad name. i've lokoed around and the v360 has some amazing reviews.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
The one good thing about the older Moto interface is that it is very hackable if you have the right tools.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
KRZR has been out here for a couple of weeks - I think it goes for around the $650 mark so it's in line with most new phones. The RAZR MAXX is also on sale here but I haven't seen it yet and don't know the price.

The KRZR is a really nice looking phone - same thickness as the RAZR but much slimmer and it feels better built.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I have a Razr v3m. My brother just got the KRZR online, its in transit. Btw, I have Verizon. I really don't understand the whole hatrid against Verizon. The only thing that annoys me is how they disable functions on their phones such as OBEX/etc.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Moto is actually working hard to improve the handset unit so they can spin it off. I'd be willing to take another look when my next Verizon phone upgrade turns up. I believe in the possibility of redemption :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.