Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

American Technology Reseach analysts provide commentary and predictions on what may come from Apple at WWDC next week.

According to the Shaw Wu, they anticipate that Apple's pro desktop will make the move to Intel, with a 70% chance that at least one of the other Mac models could see a speed bump with use of the recently released Core 2 Duo processor.

Meanwhile, new iPods are not expected due at WWDC - but instead are felt to be released in late September-October.

Apple will, of course, be featuring Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) at WWDC this year as previously reported. There has been little leaked information about the upcoming version of Mac OS X.

As always, MacRumors will provide live coverage of the WWDC Keynote which will take place Monday August 7th.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I can't wait!
5 days to go, and I'm in need of an iPod and reallllly really really wanna get a look at this 'Leapord' thing everyone's talking about so much! So maybe I don't get my iPod, I'm still really excited. Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far... I have expectations Apple, don't let me dont please

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
My predictions:

Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo iMac & MacBook Pro. New Nano's too (more storage + bluetooth)

Long shot, iPhone + iChat 4.0 (VoiP), Mac & Windows.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
much to look forward to

as per this news of perhaps no ipod and a 70% chance of other core 2 duo update action, we have much to look forward to not only at the wwdc, but also after that. if everything were spelled out for us this conference, we would have such a dry spell till holidays or until leapard or until ultralight mac or something else. i am rather glad that apple does not update everything with the speed of a recital.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
not to sound like a complete and utter noob! but,
what time is the keynote supose to go on?

im very excited at thins, as its the first WWDC i knew about in advance. lol

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
I like this guy. He's being reasonable. However, I'd bet that Apple does NOT update any other Macs to Core 2. Yet. Save that for Expo Paris.

You see, Apple always wants to make sure that everyone knows exactly what's in the spotlight at any given time. Right now it's the MacBook and Wireless Mighty Mouse. Before that it was the Mac mini and the iPod Hi-Fi. Before that, the MacBook Pro and iMac. Before that, the iPod nano/video.

Apple isn't going to all of a sudden roll out an OS preview, three new computers, and a new iPod.

EDIT: And oh yeah. Apple is also not going to roll out two iPods and a phone for the holiday season. I have my money on MWSF for the phone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
thejadedmonkey said:
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far...

macbook pro? imac core duo? intel mini? macbook? :confused:

mac pro, xserve intel, leopard previews, maybe cinema displays, maybe something like a tablet that we haven't heard about.

no updates to imacs, macbooks, macbook pros, or minis. Those are minor speed bumps that will be done quietly over the coming weeks and months, not something to trumpet in a keynote.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Give us something real and with substance. These analysts... pfffft.

MacRumors... you mean you haven't uncovered anything.. anything worthly of posting besides the crap that has been spewn out over the past few months?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
thejadedmonkey said:
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far...

You're kidding right...MBP, MB and Mac Minis have all come out this year!

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Mac Fly (film) said:
Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo, iMac, MacBook Pro. New Nano's too.

Long shot, iPhone.

Probably more like: iMac Update, Mac Pro, Cinema Display update, Leopard demo, one more thing: MacBook Pro case redesign.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
hyperpasta said:
I like this guy. He's being reasonable. However, I'd bet that Apple does NOT update any other Macs to Core 2. Yet. Save that for Expo Paris.

Don't forget that apple dont just compete with themselves but other PC manufacturers now, and that release schedule would put them way behind. I expect speedbump/updated MBP and iMac at least. Probably on a random Tuesday soon.

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
MacPros and iPhone

Along with the MacPros and MacServers, WWDC could be a good place to release the iPhone :rolleyes:

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Predictions

There will be no update to the iPods yet, but they will be updated for sure before the release of Zune in October making Zune look old.

As far as other hardware updates: Mac Pro, Displays (iSight and significant price drop). The other possibilities are updated MacBook Pro or iMac. The MBP really needs it soon as the MacBook seams to be a much better value. I could see them updating it the week after quietly via the web only, as it is essentially only a processor speed-bump to the Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Woot WWDC is getting close ... just gotta pack my bags and drive up on Sunday, should be an interesting week (over 1/3 of the sessions are still marked as to be announced, historically many of those relate to new technologies).

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Let me get this straight. The Keynote is on Monday not Tuesday. I thought the keynote was Tuesday just like MWSF.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
Mac Fly (film) said:
Mac Pro + Cinema Display (iSight), Leopard demo, Core 2 Duo iMac & MacBook Pro. New Nano's too (more storage + bluetooth)

I think the iPhone is more consumer-oriented, though that hasn't meant exclusivity to MWSF as of late, so who knows. I agree with you about the Cinema Displays though, I think they could get an update--which could also mean the current models see a price drop...

It's my feeling too that the Nano will see an update before the end of the year, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off and do a silent update (capacity) shortly after WWDC. Back to school buying has been going for a while, and it seems like Apple is taking advantage of it to clear out inventory to make way for something new.

Just like introducing new products in January--after the holiday shopping season--they could very well wait until September or October to introduce new iPods in order to get consumers to buy the current iteration one more time.

If new rumors don't start coming fast and furious, I think that means we know just about what to expect.

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I'm excepting the new OS X preview, new Mac Pros and maybe updated MacBook Pros.

That's it...after all, it is just a Developers Conference, not a Mac World Expo...I think the focus will stay on the software and the tools pros are most likely to use.

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
finally someone reasonable! so many of you flippin fools don't realize what WWDC stands for...

World wide DEVELOPER'S conference!

this is about professional stuff. in 2003, they launched the powermac g5, because developers could then write 64-bit apps. in 2004, they discussed tiger (and i think launched new pro displays) so that users could write stuff using core image and all the cool new tiger features. in 2005, they announced the transition to intel, because devs could now write stuff for the intel platform (and i don't think they really announced anything else AFAICR...). so in 2006, they are going to talk about leopard and how it relates to developers, and maybe release PROFESSIONAL products, like a mac pro or xserve.

you have got to be CRAZY to think that he's going to intro an ipod at WWDC, when MW Paris is right around the corner! MW Paris in september is pretty much ALWAYS when they intro ipods and consumer products this time of year.

edit: last year, they had a special media event around october to intro the imac g5 with isight and video ipod and did not have anything at MW Paris. this will probably be the same this year.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
thejadedmonkey said:
Apple's been so boring this year, with a bluetooth might mouse just about the most exciting release thus far... I have expectations Apple, don't let me dont please

Erm... did you miss the whole Intel thing? :rolleyes:

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
Mac Fly (film) said:

I can't see the Cinema Displays having built in iSight. I mean sure, it's useful - but what about people who work in environments where you can't have cameras (i.e. some pros) what about people who have dual monitors etc...I can't see it being feasible.

alec

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
Washington DC
I know what also to expect from WWDC -- a nice stock rise! Pretty nice if you bought Apple stock recently, considering it was at $50 a month ago and now is over $67 a share....

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
whenpaulsparks said:
MW Paris in september is pretty much ALWAYS when they intro ipods and consumer products this time of year.

no, that gets said every year, and there's almost never any interesting releases there. It's not a big deal.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
What time is the QT stream likely to be uploaded at Apple.com?

BTW I know its not a live feed!

bwintx

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Me1000 said:
not to sound like a complete and utter noob! but,
what time is the keynote supose to go on?

im very excited at thins, as its the first WWDC i knew about in advance. lol

1 PM EDT/10 AM PDT/17:00 GMT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.