Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Ok so I am getting a PowerMac G4...I just don't know what to get, two 19" Viewsonic monitors or one 17" Apple displays?
I am gonna use this for video editing and photoshop, I am aware that the two monitors will be more beneficial cause I will get more screen area. But, with the 17" apple display I will get one really nice stylish monitor that will hardely take up any space on my desk and it is more appealing to the eyes to work with.
Any advice/input will be appreaciated, thanks!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: 2 CRT or one 17in apple monitor?

Originally posted by Wano
Ok so I am getting a PowerMac G4...I just don't know what to get, two 19" Viewsonic monitors or one 17" Apple displays?
I am gonna use this for video editing and photoshop, I am aware that the two monitors will be more beneficial cause I will get more screen area. But, with the 17" apple display I will get one really nice stylish monitor that will hardely take up any space on my desk and it is more appealing to the eyes to work with.
Get one 17" now if that's all you can afford and add a second one later.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
if you do color correction and need space for video go for the 2 monitors. but also i think you should get a cheapo 17 in crt and save some money and get the 20 inch.. nice realestate and even more style then 17 inch. plus wide sreen

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: 2 CRT or one 17in apple monitor?

get the two 19".

The one 17" is nice... but you'll be much more productive with two 19"

arn

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Re: Re: 2 CRT or one 17in apple monitor?

Originally posted by Bear
Get one 17" now if that's all you can afford and add a second one later.

That's what I was thinking...but that wouldn't be for a while.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Re: Re: 2 CRT or one 17in apple monitor?

That's what I was thinking...but that wouldn't be for a while.
Or maybe go one LCD and one CRT if you can eek out the extra money for that.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
why not getting two third-party LCD panels? If you go CRT, you won't get Apple anyway, so go for LCD and save the deskspace.

i really love apple LCDs but they're so pricey... if you're working on a budget like most of us, you have to make sacrafices.

'course, you probably won't get widescreen...

pnw

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
RE: MONITOR CHOICE

As was alluded to in an above post, if you do alot of video work, and need accurate color representation-I would go for the 2 CRT monitors. As far as I know CRT monitors in general still beat out LCDs in that respect, especially for the price point...and from someone who does alot of video work, ARN is correct in saying two is better than one. In passing, I do not know what the effects(if any) there are from using the ADC connector with new monitors versus old analog connectors (I have a pre-ADC mac). Hope this helps. (P.S I really personally liked the last generation apple studio pro CRT monitors-I have 2-you can find them pretty cheap if you look around...). Lastly, I would just take the time out to look at the specs of various monitors (LCD/CRT) at various price points and see what the best compromise is between price/performance. Do try and go and actually look at some of these monitors if possible. As far as LCDs go, I've always liked Formac...sorry to ramble, hope this helps...

Glossybear

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2002
Hollywood CA
You could always go with the 17inch (or Better yet 20inch) Apple display and use a video-field monitor for the 2nd display (in final cut at least). This is the way I've always edited, and it works quite well.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
CRT's... they may not be the 'coolest' thing, but they have better depth and higher pixel density, which would be better than an LCD. Plus you save money, which could be spent on more RAM which would help you the most.

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by Glossybear
You could always go with the 17inch (or Better yet 20inch) Apple display and use a video-field monitor for the 2nd display (in final cut at least). This is the way I've always edited, and it works quite well.

Yeah, I think that would work fairly well. Correct me if I am wrong, a video-field monitor is like a TV (sorta) that only displays the motion video from FCP instead of everything on the desktop? It also gives accurate color too, right?

Where can I find one and for how much?
How would I hook it up to the computer...do I need a video card?
Thanks!

Photographer

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2003
Two Monitors

Hi guys im just thinking about switching and saw this thread how can you connect and use two monitors as one? Im thinking two CRTs.

Cheers Mike

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
A handy little trick that I use is I have an Apple 17" LCD Studio Dispay and a viewsonic 17" CRT.

That way I have more real estate, i kept my cost down, and it is EXCELLENT for colour calibration (Print output can be better proofed on the CRT) and I can also see how web graphics look on both a CRT and LCD, because people that view the one of the websites that I worked on will have one of the two.

It is also great for previewing timelines in Final Cut Pro. LCDs make the preview look so grainy, but the CRT is like a really high resolution television.

The biggest advantage of an LCD besides power consumption, space saving, and looking really sweet is, if you are into graphics and whatnot, it makes colours look really vibrant and they come to life. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it can be very inspiring if your work has life to it and it makes you want to keep creating.

Make a long story short, go with the 17" LCD and then you can add a display later. I was in the same position as you, I went on a gut, bought the LCD, and I LOVE IT. You DEFINITELY won't regret it.

Hope that helps. :D

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Two Monitors

Originally posted by Photographer
Hi guys im just thinking about switching and saw this thread how can you connect and use two monitors as one? Im thinking two CRTs.

Cheers Mike

All new PowerMacs have dual monitor support out of the box. Just plug in the two monitors and go. You just have to make sure you either have the right adaptors for the connectors or the buy the monitors with the right conectors to start with.

Actually you can even buy additional PCI Video Cards and plug additional monitors in and they will just work. No config needed though you can set them up how you want if need to. I think the max number of monitors is limited by availabe PCI slots and desk space.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
Re: Two Monitors

Originally posted by Photographer

Cheers Mike

On every new Powermac G4, the video card (either NVIDIA or ATI) has an ADC port (Apple Display Connector) and a DVI port. When two monitors are connected to these ports, desktop spanning is enabled.

To connect two CRTs it will cost you over a hundred dollars to convert the ADC port to DVI, than both the DVI to VGA.

Powermacs and Powerbooks support spanning, however, iProducts (iBook, iMac) and the eMac don't.

They support video mirroring, however *cough* wow *cough* :D

andrewlandry

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2002
NYC
Sorry, but it doesn't cost over a hundred bucks to plug in two CRT's to a PowerMac. I just bought one and have two non-Apple LCD displays hooked up to it. The Powermac comes with one adapter to VGA in the box and I purchased another one at the same time I bought my computer for $35. Viola.

I would probably go for the LCD, because they are just cool. They take less energy, they are lighter to move, take up less space, they don't have lead in them that will poison people once ending up in a landfill someday. And the other thing to consider is that you will keep them long after you have replaced your computer.

Then again, I wouldn't be so broke right now if I hadn't gotten LCDs. :) It's kind of a tough choice if money is a concern. Good luck with that.

djniche

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2002
DC
save and get a 20" apple screen
and later you can add a 17CRT

that would be the best bet i think

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I've got a 17" Apple Studio Display and an old 17" CRT both connected to a 1.25 MDD 2003. Works great. If you were going to connect two 19" CRT, you would have to spend $100 on an ADC to VGA adaptor (or add another video card?) so plan accordingly.

That's why I sprung for the Apple 17" because it has the ADC connector.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I have 2 17"'s and I work in FCP and I would never go any smaller for a video workstation. At least for video work computer monitor color accuracy isn't that imporant because it will always be wrong compared to what it looks like on a TV. :) That's why you'll always see NTSC (or PAL) monitors hooked up to editing workstations so the editor can see what his proejcet really looks like.

That beind said CRTs are more color accurate and LCDs so that's one reason why I'd rather have CRTs than LCDs right now.

Lethal

Wano

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
How much are the reference monitors?...and where can I buy em?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
How much are the reference monitors?...and where can I buy em?

B&H is always a good place to look for anything video related. As far as price goes... they cost as much as you are willing to spend (low end starts around $700). At home on my "after hours" stuff I use a an $85 13" Sharp TV. At work, well I freelance, so at work I use whatever they have (last job they had some JVCs but I don't remember the model #).

Lethal

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
crt would be better for high end photoshop manipulation and color correction i think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.