Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has announced that it has halted development on a universal version of VirtualPC.

In a statement on Monday, Microsoft said it "has made the decision not to move forward with a Universal version of Virtual PC at this time." -- via News.com

VirtualPC has long-been the king of the hill for Virtualization on Macintosh. With the Intel transition, however, came competitive pressure from Parallels, which has since released the final version of its product, and VMWare which is showcasing a beta of its solution at WWDC.

Microsoft has claimed that to port VirtualPC to Intel would be much like making VirtualPC 1.0 all over again.

Because of how closely virtualization software is tied to an operating system, Microsoft said that moving Virtual PC to the Intel-based Mac would be "similar to creating a version 1.0 release."

Digg This

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Wasn't there a rumor going around a couple months back about M$ making VPC free? That would make sense now if they're going to discontinue it, and let us PPC users have it for free. Who wants to pay for a product that won't receive any updates?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I guess there was no reason to continue. They were prob not making much of a profit on VPC anyhow and 3rd parties already had it covered.

Are they working on a universal MS Office?

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
So many remarks... so little time...

Steve Jobs probably hurt their feelings today
Maybe now they can finally get some work done on vista
Or quite possibly they thought it was dumb to run fake OSX in real OSX

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
yg17 said:
Wasn't there a rumor going around a couple months back about M$ making VPC free? That would make sense now if they're going to discontinue it, and let us PPC users have it for free. Who wants to pay for a product that won't receive any updates?

No... that was a lot of people getting confused. MS was giving away VirtualPC 2004, which is a Windows product. They never were giving away any Mac products, nor were they intending to as far as we know.

Freyqq said:
Are they working on a universal MS Office?

Yes, but we don't exactly know when that will come out. Look for it AFTER Vista (if that can happen) ;)

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Tinfoil hat time...

Anyone else remember those old rumors about how MS was buying VPC just to kill it off? I thought that was silly back then, but I'm wondering now. Considering how they sat on the thing for ages and never really did anything with it and now have caved at the first sign of competition, you have to wonder. They clearly were not very committed to keeping it going.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Why would they? The Intel models will run Windows anyhow. I don't think there would be much of a market for this product since the move to Intel is complete.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
MS seems to have lost out on a nice little market due to dragging their feet so long with VPC. That being said, I think it's great that we no loger have to rely on MS to keep Windows (and other os's) running on Macs.

bluarash

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2005
This stuff has got to stop

Yes, Parallels and VMware are better products, but that is not the point. Has no one else noticed the number of products Microsoft is canceling for the Mac. I do not believe that Microsoft sees a market for the Macintosh. This of course is purely a business perspective.

I for one think Apple will be taught a lesson in respect. The only logical solution is to kill off Mac Office universal binary support. If they want to run on the Intel platform, they can run on emulation.

It would not be much of a loss if Microsoft decided to pull the plug. Don't think they haven't taught about it. A three percent market share or 19 million desktop users does not even come close to the numbers that still use Windows 2000, never mind Windows 98. I of course don't wish this to happen, but it is one logical outcome.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
Abercrombieboy said:
Why would they? The Intel models will run Windows anyhow. I don't think there would be much of a market for this product since the move to Intel is complete.

Tell that to the Parallels people. Bootcamp isn't the same thing.

kevinuaa

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2004
Hawaii
I think think this may mean they are close to announcing a universal version of MS OFFICE. VPC was a part of the Office pro version, and they probably decided not to wait to complete the universal version of VPC.
Cheers,

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Cameront9 said:
So with WMP gone and now VPC gone, the only MAJOR software developed for Macs by Microsoft is Office?

Let's just hope they don't decide to kill office. Sure, I know there are lots of alternatives out there, but you try telling that to Mr. idiot joe-average boss.

Yeah, Office will stay. They said they are committed for at least 5 more years. Office is probably the only Mac software they develop and actually make a decent profit on.

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Cameront9 said:
So with WMP gone and now VPC gone, the only MAJOR software developed for Macs by Microsoft is Office?

Let's just hope they don't decide to kill office. Sure, I know there are lots of alternatives out there, but you try telling that to Mr. idiot joe-average boss.

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon, fortunately:
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/08/07/universal.office.coming/

Microsoft is not developing Visual Basic in the Univeral Mac Office suite, so some people are already claiming that cross-compatibility is officially dead. Unless someone comes up with a Rosetta-like translator between VB and AppleScript/Automator, I don't see how script-filled Office files will be able to leave a Mac-only or Windows-only environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.