Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
There are three major features I would like to see in upcoming iPods:
  1. Dual compatibility with both Mac OS and Windows i.e., you can buy one iPod and be rest assured that it will work on both platforms.
  2. Streaming iPods: The ability to walk up to any Mac or Windows computer, plug in your iPod, and stream music (with a built-in player installed on the iPod) to the computer instead of having to copy it.
  3. Firewire, Firewire 800, and USB compatibility.
Apple, please pay attention to this. :eek:

What features would you like to see on the new iPods?

EDIT: Yes, an FM radio would be a plus on the iPod. But how about this: Instead of streaming music to your computer over FW/USB, you can stream it over Airport instead, even to multiple computers at once; this is made possible through a miniature 802.11b airport chip built-into the iPod. :)

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
Firewire, Firewire 800, and USB compatibility.
That'd make for an interesting plug.

You can use both ipods on both platforms (mac on windows needs macopener or similar software, you can also change between the two formats with ease). I bought a mac ipod20G the second they came out nad switched it to PC format till i got my 12" PB, now it's in mac format again.

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
I don't think adding the FW800 to the iPod will make the file transfers any faster. You will still be limited to HD speed. Does the iPod with FW400 currently max out the available bandwidth? Those micro HD are probably not very fast.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
We already had a similar post about this last week

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20962

The HD speeds are an issue and I realyl don't think apple will add fw800 until its feasbile to run a high rpm drive at lower power and low heat. This seems a bit far in the future to me.

Then Firewire 800 will be useless! What good is FW800 without devices that support it?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i think apple needs to worry about selling iPods mroe than the life of a future standard which will be intergrated someday. what good is a standard that no one can use. Its already sort of a hassle to plug the iPod into the comptuer then unlpug it and plug it intothe pwoer adaptor. Now i would have to use an adaptor to sync with my iBook or PC, that seems a bit out there for now atleast. They didnt' even add it to the new imacs, sometihng to think about it. I'm guessing that apple added this in to be the first but much liek FW they wil lintegrate it over a few years when tis more feasbiel ( an iPod would nto have worked in 1999)

jaguarx

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2003
London
A minor bloody mod so you can charge via the computer and not have the HDD spinning all the time would be nice *gripe*.

Seems small but having to keep plugging/unplugging the firewire cable is a pain in the ass

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: New iPods: Dual Compatibility, Streaming Music, FW/FW800/USB

Originally posted by Shrek

[*]Streaming iPods: The ability to walk up to any Mac or Windows computer, plug in your iPod, and stream music (with a built-in player installed on the iPod) to the computer instead of having to copy it.

um... they probably wont add this since you can basically do the same thing by plugging the line out of your ipod into the line in on your mac. granted "streaming" it as you call it might make it an easier task, but you still just sending a line out signal through the firewire port, and you need a program to pick that signal out and actually play it through your speakers. it just doesnt seem like something worth adding in my eyes.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Then Firewire 800 will be useless! What good is FW800 without devices that support it?

Its equally lame if devices use firewire 800 and then aren't able to make use of the standard. especially since firewire800 ports are backwards compatible. Firewire 800 will be adopted by devices where its going to be useful, and the iPod probably isn't one of them right now.

in a similar vain, I really doubt apple will put USB on an iPod. Maybe USB 2 if they decide to put USB 2 on macs, but regular USB is pretty pointless.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
I posted some great ideas awhile back on this very issue... please see previous posts... anyways I did get some good replys too (worth the read). I think the biggest thing Apple could do is the following...

1 better software (ie, seperate contacts like ical on ipod)
2 the windows & mac thing is brilliant, I tried mine to transfer some video files and was dissapointed the windows could not read my file structure (thank god my book comes with a CDRW)
3 auto fm transmitter, I was creating one formyself that would run 4W from the speaker port until I saw one built and for sale (there goes that million dollar idea, bummer)
4 how about another case design especially since the iBook is not being plugged like the tibooks
5 40 gig HD
6 use "time domains" pulse-on technology to transfer current to the battery wirelessly
7 no USB
8 new games, hell, add 'em to your .mac subscription to sell a few more there if they'd like

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Re: New iPods: Dual Compatibility, Streaming Music, FW/FW800/USB

EDIT: Yes, an FM radio would be a plus on the iPod. But how about this: Instead of streaming music to your computer over FW/USB, you can stream it over Airport instead, even to multiple computers at once; this is made possible through a miniature 802.11b airport chip built-into the iPod. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.