Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
arn said:
Looks like it might say "Sony Ericsson" on it.

arn

Makes sense.

Lest iGary mock me, I didn't mean "mockup" as in "iPhone beta," I meant "here's a generic multimedia phone to make the idea clear."

mwswami

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2006
iSight 2.0

ImAlwaysRight said:
No remote? No Photo Booth? That's got to be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. ;)

As for the real world, many professionals have funds to purchase these machines as they will use the speed. It seems to me that most "consumers" are not able or willing to plop down the cash to buy a Mac Pro when an iMac or MacBook or even Mac Mini will more than suit their needs.

No front row and no photo booth was definitely a downer for me. I expect to see iSight 2.0 with better optics and IR sensor built-in released later this year.

chiamon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2006
it does not even make sense to put a phone there, since when can phones do RSS? Its just really fishy tt it is placed alongside the ipod and itunes.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
chiamon said:
it does not even make sense to put a phone there, since when can phones do RSS? Its just really fishy tt it is placed alongside the ipod and itunes.
Many web capable phones can get RSS streams...

sam10685

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Portland, OR
swingerofbirch said:
I'm not holding my breath on the Top secret features...it could have been a joke.

ALTHOUGH, Tiger included some features that were so top secret--like the exclusive dotMac widgets--that Apple couldn't even include them in the final release, so you never know! ;)

hopefully we do get some really good "top-secret" stuff. Time Machine sounds like the utility in windose xp called systen restore and Spaces sounds like Exposé.

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
That phone has been on the Quicktime site for months now, its just a pretty sony ericsson.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/3gpp/

title_3gppmobile101805.jpg

Looks like the Sony Ericsson K608i, Ive been dying to get my hands on one for awhile now, but tech changes and that lust faded. I have a p900 and I am enthraled with the phone OS. Motorola can eat it here.:p

arn said:
Looks like it might say "Sony Ericsson" on it.

arn

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
chiamon said:

Quicktime delivers mobile content and that is decent 3gpp phone. The phone is just one possible device Apple's software ends up compressing for. Woo-hoo scalable HD video!

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
summit99 said:
I know we've overdosed on speculation recently, but the MacRumors live transcript from the keynote today contained the following line (from Steve I believe):

10:24 am lots more announcements during the next week

best to just wait and see......

My bet is on Macbook pro update. with merom processor. maybe even a new form.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Steve looks unhealthy. He's not as sharp as he used to be. His keynotes were flawless. He stuttered several times, forgot what he was saying in mid sentence, and handed a considerable amount of the keynote to other people. Steve was a control freak in past WWDC keynotes.

I think he may be in not-so-good health. But I've said that before.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
sam10685 said:
hopefully we do get some really good "top-secret" stuff. Time Machine sounds like the utility in windose xp called systen restore and Spaces sounds like Exposé.
Time Machine is nothing like System Restore. Time Machine allows you to find multiple previous versions of a file. For example, if you accidentally save a revised file without changing the name with "Save As", you can still go back to the previous version of the file if you decide you don't like the revisions or if a file is lost or damaged (I remember one occasion when a child in my home deleted all the contents of an important document and then saved it, and another occasion when a document was corrupted by a drive error; Time Machine would have saved me hours of work on both occasions). System Recover is used to revert to a previous version of an OS when an OS update causes problems (although that would also be a useful utility to have, but its significance pales in comparison to Time Machine).

Spaces is like Exposé on steroids.

I agree with those who believe that, as Jobs said, Apple still has something up its sleeve, more consumer-oriented, likely to be announced at MWSF.

Now if Apple can only beat MS out of the gate on the release date...

They could do ads like this:

(Cue I'm a Mac/I'm a PC music.)
Mac: Hello, I'm a Mac.
PC: And I'm a PC.
Mac: You know, I'm really excited, I have this new operating system called Leopard...
PC: Oh yes, I 'm going to have a new operating system too, called Vista...sometime soon...I think...well, at least there's an 80% chance I will...
Mac: That's great! So, what are some of the new things you'll be able to do...when it comes out, that is...
PC: Well, just about everything Apple said it would give you when it previewed your new OS five months ago, except for that cool Time Warp feature, and I guess that Spotlight search feature is kind of cool too, and all those great new Mail features...
Mac: That's nothing! Have you seen my (insert mind-blowing new feature here)!
PC: Well, just you wait! I'll have all of those features, too, when my next OS after Vista is introduced...in another five years...I hope.

Robtastic

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
No remote because....

Although some will argue this, I think the exclusion of the remote on the Mac Pro is because it will be on the new displays that will most likely come out in January... I would also expect the new displays to have iSight's built in... clearly this is something Apple is heavily pushing and I think you'll see this across the line... I can't see Apple updating the actual iSight (note in the Keynote he said the new version in Leopard will support MANY new kinds of cameras)... I think you'll see Apple leave the 'external' camera options to third party developers or simply just encourage people without Sights to use FW camcorders... besides, what good would an IR receiver be on the tower for those who put it on the floor...

Overall, the Pro's are amazing (except will need to wait for PS CS3) and the Leopard demo was, at points, jaw dropping... I second one of the previous posters at awesome MacWorld is going to be in January... it will be quite a show...

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
anyone else notice that on the leopard server sneak preview video on apples website, at the end of the intro, she guy shows a widget that doesnt look like its running in a background layer

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
MacSA said:
No, It doesn't.

this is funny, this one subject is really bringing out the mac and windows hardcores!

I fall into both categories so I like to think im neutral. What I see in Time Machine is System Restore:The Next Generation

System restore did allow you to step back in time thru save points to a point where everything was ok.

Apple have taken it even further by allowing you to do this firstly on the fly, and have also given you the ability to pick out a single file or files to restore. By allowing it to backup to other media they also allow you to recover from a dead hd... all in all a nice feature... shame the space design looks a little naff. personally i would have prefered if they had just gone with there normal shiny black (like frontrow).

axman6

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
Canberra, Australia
hmm, yeah i think you're wrong.

voyagerd said:
Has anybody found Xcode 2.4 yet? It's not up on ADC as far as I can see.
I haven't heard anything about Xcode 2.4 anywhere apart from here. are you sure about it? i really don't think it has been released. been checking as much as i can everywhere, and i've seen nothing. might be getting it mixed up with Xcode 3.0 that's going to be in Leopard? maybe?

Cya

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
*cries*

*snuffle*

No iMac Ultra!!!

*cries again*

*snuffle*

Maybe tomorrow? Can only hope. They can't not update the iMac forever...

BTW. I don't think many people expected the Mac Pro to be quite that awesome. FOUR slots that support graphics cards??? WOOHOO! And how many people doubted the quad 3Ghz? A lot, I know you're out there. Eight 30" screens??? That's INSANE!

If this is what Apple bring out for their Mac Pro, my standards for iMac Ultra have now changed.
30" HD screen, 2x SLI X1900's (do they make gig x19's? If they do, they'll be in it) and the 3.2 Ghz C2DE. The new Macbook Pro will surelly get a single x1900, and a 2.67 C2D. Maybe a 19" version? The former still less than 4G, the second less than 5G ($AU).

Both with an overdrive function that overclocks both CPUs and GPUs by a factor of 2. After all, if this beast can dissipate 300W in just graphics cards, let alone 160W of CPU power, plus four high performance hard disks, power supply, etc, etc, etc, surelly my expectations aren't too high...

Sounds reasonable to me after meeting the one true beast.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
mwswami said:
No front row and no photo booth was definitely a downer for me. I expect to see iSight 2.0 with better optics and IR sensor built-in released later this year.

Why does IR sensor in iSight make me think of Paris Hilton?! :confused:

e-coli said:
Steve looks unhealthy. He's not as sharp as he used to be. His keynotes were flawless. He stuttered several times, forgot what he was saying in mid sentence, and handed a considerable amount of the keynote to other people. Steve was a control freak in past WWDC keynotes.

I think he may be in not-so-good health. But I've said that before.

I was thinking the same thing. He was not mentally very sharp.

Normally he is so excited and pumped. In past keynotes when he was sitting at the computer and grabbed his water, it with a purpose, excited to get on with it. In past keynotes it was the minor things, his body language and such, that would get me so pumped, I would be bouncing in my chair watching the keynote.

All of that was missing yesterday. He was distracted, and acted as if he had no energy at all.

But I think what tipped me off that something was wrong, was him allowing others to take up half of the presentation time.

I know that when Wal-Mart found out that Sam Walton was going to pass, they scrambled trying to absorb as much of Sam into the "Corporate Culture" as they could. For example, his dog Roy on the dogfood ect.

With Steve sharing the stage with his subordinates as much as he did, it was like Apple is now trying to show that there were other people besides Steve at Apple that have the passion.

Their mode of dress was even contrived. You could tell that not all of them were used to wearing thier shirt tales out. hehe The big guy's, that did the Mac Pro presentation, shirt was wrinkled where it had been tucked in his pants all morning long.

Sorry to ramble, but I just have a bad feeling that something is up with Steve. If there is, I hope there is enough time to absorb Steve into the Corporate Culture (instead of the tyrant image he has now) and cultivate someone to quickly step up.

heh, That was selfish, sorry. If something is up with Steve, I wish him all the best and hope that he can cured, and if not, pass in peace. :(

I would prefer to be totally wrong, and that he was just having a bad day!

Nutter

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
London, England
Guys, the Finder is the top secret feature. It doesn't take a genius to work that out. That's why the Finder shown in the preview yesterday is exactly the same as the Finder in Tiger.

Time Machine storage requirements

I don't mean to sound dumb, well to be honest I can't help it :p

But just how much space is this time machine going to eat up?

If it stores a backup of everything, that's going to get huge in a hurry. For example. What happens if I have a 400 MB video file and I make 20 changes, and save the file after every change.

I could see this growing to be a storage monster if it keeps every iteration of everything that I do. That 400 MB video would take up 8GB in my time machine, with 20 copies of it. Do that 100 times over a couple of years and that just gets nuts

Is it only going to store the actual changes and not the whole file again? This is making my head spin, could someone explain how it's going to store backups physically? I know it's not even out yet, but I figure that one of you really smart people already know how this will work. (You're all smarter than me hehe)

Thanks in advance :)

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
I think you can control when the data gets backed up, and it would be good if you could delete versions after a certain time. They must have the scenarios worked out, otherwise for my 40GB iBook HD and 80GB LaCie external drive, I'd need about a TB * to be able to go back in time for the year of changes.

*This wasn't a true estimate, just an exagerrated guess...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.