Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kakarutsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Be careful if you decide to take advantage of the Apple Major in Mac rebate promotion. I bought an iPod at my university computer store and sent in the rebate and now Apple is telling me that the receipt wasn't valid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the receipt ... it has all the required information and the rebate was postmarked just a few days after I bought my MacBook and iPod. I re-sent the receipt via certified mail and I still haven't heard back from them. I would've never bought that damn iPod if I knew this was going to happen.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Counterfit said:
Generally for Apples rebates that are "Buy this product and get $200 off an iPod", the iPod has to be on the same receipt as the other item.

Yes, the computer and the iPod has to be on the SAME receipt. So if they are not, then they are right to deny your rebate.

Read more carefully next time.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
You should have bought them at the same time and on the same receipt.
That being said, if they were bought very close to each other, call the apple support, and you can convince the phone person you planned to buy them at the same time, you might get a rebate.

Just try it, and be courteous. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Fukui said:
You should have bought them at the same time and on the same receipt.
That being said, if they were bought very close to each other, call the apple support, and you can convince the phone person you planned to buy them at the same time, you might get a rebate.

Just try it, and be courteous. :)

Yep, give it a try, and be nice while doing so, and they might make an exception for you. :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
kakarutsu said:
Be careful if you decide to take advantage of the Apple Major in Mac rebate promotion. I bought an iPod at my university computer store and sent in the rebate and now Apple is telling me that the receipt wasn't valid. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the receipt ... it has all the required information and the rebate was postmarked just a few days after I bought my MacBook and iPod. I re-sent the receipt via certified mail and I still haven't heard back from them. I would've never bought that damn iPod if I knew this was going to happen.

maybe ask your university store to take everything back (on paper) and then re-purchase everything with the ipod on the receipt...

WillMak

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
I called apple for last year's promotion because I purchased on two seperate receipts. They said no big deal and gave me the rebate.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
If you check the FAQ on the Apple Store, it says they have to be on the same receipt.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
I'm not sure why everyone is saying that you did not get your laptop and iPod on the same receipt because I'm not getting that from your post.

That being said, call Apple either way and see if you can get them to either tell you specifically what is wrong or make an exception for you if you bought them within a day or two of eachother. It can't hurt to call, and perhaps you'll get lucky!

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
they accepted my rebate submission and sent the check. i bought my macbook the saturday before the promotion started. the monday after that the promotion was announced we gave the apple store a call and they added the nano and said it would be eligible for the rebate. we submited the rebate and they sent the check on july 12th. i would just give apple a call.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
There are a few posts that recommend calling Apple. It is the right thing to do. Apple's Customer Relations department is all about making people happy. I personally have done this, and, though they couldn't honor my rebate, I have a $200 credit with Apple for their merchandise.

Stay calm, give them a call, explain your situation, and you should be all set. If they say no, ask to speak to a supervisor.

kakarutsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Yeah, They're on the Same Receipt

I bought the MacBook and the iPod at the same time ... and they're on the same receipt. I will give a call and see what happens.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
kakarutsu said:
I bought the MacBook and the iPod at the same time ... and they're on the same receipt. I will give a call and see what happens.
When you sent the rebate in, did you cut out the whole card board of the box that includes the product description and serial number or did you peel the sticker with the product number on it? I think I remember seeing a place where it says peeled off stickers would not be accepted or something like that... (my friend recently got one) and I think they wanted the cut-out side of the two boxes that have the product # and description (ipod macbook) and the receipt...

Anyways, hope you get your rebate

macdaddy121

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2003
Georgia
I went to the apple store and talked with someone about having the macbook and ipod on the same receipt. In a couple of weeks there is a no tax weekend in GA and the purchases can not exceed $1500. The apple salesman told me that he could put the macbook on one receipt, the ipod and printer on another purchase (meaning another receipt) so that the price would not exceed 1500. He said that they have been doing this for a few years and everyone does it (other types of retail stores). I asked about the one receipt thing and he said apple rebate will know what is going on. He also said that if you order from the apple website on the tax free weekend and have it shipped inside the state (that is having the tax free weekend) than apples website will know not to charge you tax. How true is all of this?

kakarutsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
An Update on the Rebate War

Okay, so I called Apple and the customer service rep told me that my receipt did not indicate the reseller even though the name of the store is clearly apparent on the invoice. (I don't get it. Does the ink have to be a certain color?)

I was then told they would "escalate" the review of my receipt and that I should call back in a few days.

I think Apple's getting stingy.

kakarutsu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2006
Happy Ending

I just wanted to close out this thread with news that I got my rebate. Woo hoo! There certainly was some stress involved, but it turned out well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.