Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junkionxl

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Delaware
I wanna know what is X11? I am hearing about it on mac pages but nothing to detailed for it. I can not download it i am still under 9.2.2 and my mac is to slow to run OS X. If anyone can give me a site that is detailed and to the point of what it is or someone can explian i would be appreciate it.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
what speed is your computer? you may be fast enough to run it... if you're running 9.2.2 it should work fine... i run X on my iMac 400 and while it's not the fastest in the world, it works great for my use...

unless you need *nix compatability, which i'm guessing you don't, ignore X11.

pnw

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
X11 is a really awful old windowing system that is sadly still in use in the Unix world and has been kept at least semi-modern by loads and loads of "extensions" that enable it to do things it once wasn't able to do* (like font rendering, alpha blending, changing resolution on the fly, direct OpenGL support, etc.). Unfortunately, these extensions, added onto its original shoddy design, have had the effect of making it an incoherent, bloated mess.

"I think X Windows is brain-damaged and will fail."
-- Steve Jobs, summer 1987 Usenix conference. He was half right.

* Although X11 can "do" these things, it can only do them in a kludgy, haphazard, nonstanard manner.

For more information about X11, go here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.