Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaun.andrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
OK, so I just bought a 24" widescreen display and I want to use my Black MacBook to power it, and then just close the MacBook. My concern is that the heat may ruin the builtin LCD on the MacBook.

What do you guys think, is it dangerous to keep the macbook closed and running 24/7? Will the heat damage the LCD?

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
shaun.andrews said:
OK, so I just bought a 24" widescreen display and I want to use my Black MacBook to power it, and then just close the MacBook. My concern is that the heat may ruin the builtin LCD on the MacBook.

What do you guys think, is it dangerous to keep the macbook closed and running 24/7? Will the heat damage the LCD?

nope. The only computers that were affected by this were the Wallstreet G3's circa 1998 or so. If the Macbook couldn't do it, then Apple wouldn't have made it possible on these models.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Lid-closed mode with external display, keyboard, and mouse is supported on the MacBook. Here is Apple's official word on how it should be set up...it's interesting to note that this article has not been updated to include the MacBook once it was released, but if you click on the link for how to do it with Bluetooth accessories, you'll see that the MacBook does run fine in lid-closed (clamshell) mode.

shaun.andrews

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
Wow - fast responses guys! Impressive!

Thanks for the info, can't wait till the 24" gets here on Monday! Got an arm for it too, no desk clutter here!

Thanks again,

--
Shaun Andrews
www.shaunandrews.com

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
ok wait how about overnight download with the lid close. How will that work without external keyboard, mouse and monitor I just want to be able to close the lid and have the lcd turn off while it downloads.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
InsomniaX looks to be a good, new option for keeping your Mac from going to sleep, but I don't know if will turn the LCD off when you close it. You can set the display to turn off after a certain period of inactivity in System Preferences under Energy Saver.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
breakfastcrew said:
I guess I can just turn brightness to zero.

That doesn't turn off the display though...information is still being sent to it and you can see if you look hard. Just set if to turn itself off in System Preferences.

ibidiem

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
Portland, OR
cool little detail I've noticed with the macbook, that i don't believe was on the ibook: when the screen turns itself off, the light turns on, next to the remote input, whereas the ibook's light only turns on if you have it in sleep mode -- and with that it comes on and off.

differentiating sleep from on with screen off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.