Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Is this possible? I am so used to PCs remaining awake when the lid is closed unless they are told not to. I can't stand that my mbp goes to sleep when I close the lid, especially when it's plugged in. Is there any way to prevent it from going to sleep?

Thanks!

Dan

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i can't stand it any other way personally, but you have to plug in a keyboard and moniter ect, you may be able to do it without external stuff, though i've never looked into it.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Hector said:
i can't stand it any other way personally, but you have to plug in a keyboard and moniter ect, you may be able to do it without external stuff, though i've never looked into it.
yes i've also heard this works, you need to plug in a monitor/keyboard/etc

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
Yeah, but I'm not to keen on carrying around a USB mouse everywhere I go...

Kind of hoping for some type of software solution...nothing?

Dan

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Does it not wake up quickly? Are you wanting it to perform tasks while closed? If the latter, you could just close it most of the way. You of course wouldn't want it to be awake while closed and you are transporting it would you? confused why...

I also don't know of a work around-

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
flyfish29 said:
Does it not wake up quickly? Are you wanting it to perform tasks while closed? If the latter, you could just close it most of the way. You of course wouldn't want it to be awake while closed and you are transporting it would you? confused why...

I also don't know of a work around-

I would want it to stay on while closed...for instance, while downloading a file. I'd just rather have the lid closed...not halfway open. So I guess there's no way to do this now short of carrying around a usb devie?

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
dmurray14 said:
I would want it to stay on while closed...for instance, while downloading a file. I'd just rather have the lid closed...not halfway open. So I guess there's no way to do this now short of carrying around a usb devie?

I see your point- you can close it to about 2" or less so much less than half way- but what would you have to do when you close it to sleep and move it...would a setting have to be changed on a PC...or do you just have to put it to sleep manually through the menu each time- I know I love the fact that I can just close this thing and it is asleep- I don't have to go to the menu to do it. personally I woudl rather not have to do the menu to sleep just to be able to close the lid a few times while downloading something, etc. My preference obviously.

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
I would like to have a laptop that doesn't sleep when closed. (I use the Powerbook)

Some places like Taipei and my university campus have outdoor wifi. (Not complete, but it's improving.) Once I can get wifi reasonably often, I would like to just leave my laptop on with Skype running, and be able to take phone calls through SkypeIn while on the go. Would save on some cell phone bills.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
It is not recommended that you do this though, the heat buildup will certainly be enough to melt your display or worse still even have it crack under the heat.

We are talking about temperatures that will burn users who so much as touch it the wrong way and cause batteries to bulge due to thermal failure, are you willing to risk your machine like that?

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
Yes, I understand all your points. BUT Why not give the user the option to choose?

Why force them to be stuck in a situation where they have to frustratingly try to keep the screen hinges from closing too far. I HATE this. I want to be able to put my Macbook undermy bed over nightand rip/encode one of my DVDs to h264 for the next day's subway ride... I don't want to have to prop it open just to accomplish that.

As to the person who thought you had to select sleep from a menu on a PC laptop, That's not the case, often the manufacturer would include a Sleep button on the case, or you would hit a combination of the "fn" key and one of the F-keys, on my thinkpad it was FN-F4... pretty damn simplle.

On the other hand, If I had to sacrifice the quick sleep option of closing the lid, to gain the extra feature of my computer keep chugging away, that would be phenomenal.

As for the person talking about Heat, The Macbooks don't use the keyboard to expell heat, it's simply an intake for the rear vents. This intake of air can still be accomplished while the screen is closed.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
purelithium said:
As to the person who thought you had to select sleep from a menu on a PC laptop, That's not the case, often the manufacturer would include a Sleep button on the case, or you would hit a combination of the "fn" key and one of the F-keys, on my thinkpad it was FN-F4... pretty damn simplle.

I was asking the question if you reread my post!! I failed to add the question mark, but it is written like a question beause I have never (and will never) own a PC. I wrote: "would a setting have to be changed on a PC...or do you just have to put it to sleep manually through the menu each time"

I don't know about the heat issue- except the left part (keyboard side) of my ibook gets very warm when doing intesive computing and that would be against the screen- either way- having your hard drive spinning and burner running while moving can't be good for any computer or DVD burner!

personally- I don't care if it is an option if it can be done safely but I imagine there are several reasons why Apple chooses not to do this- maybe they are just being lazy.:D

Why can't you just put your screen to sleep while buring the dvd and leave it on your desk/table? Just a thought.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
flyfish29 said:
Why can't you just put your screen to sleep while buring the dvd and leave it on your desk/table? Just a thought.

Because I don't want to.

I want to be able to use my Macbook in bed and set it to encode a DVD overnight, close the screen and stick it under my bed, so I don't step on it in the morning.

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
generik said:
It is not recommended that you do this though, the heat buildup will certainly be enough to melt your display or worse still even have it crack under the heat.

We are talking about temperatures that will burn users who so much as touch it the wrong way and cause batteries to bulge due to thermal failure, are you willing to risk your machine like that?

Uhh..what? Then why does apple show you how to use "closed lid mode?"?

Dan

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
dmurray14 said:
Uhh..what? Then why does apple show you how to use "closed lid mode?"?

Dan

Lots of marketing literature shows pictures of users holding on to their MBPs. *gasp* they are actually portrayed as touching their computers. Doesn't mean that you should though :rolleyes:

dmurray14

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
generik said:
Lots of marketing literature shows pictures of users holding on to their MBPs. *gasp* they are actually portrayed as touching their computers. Doesn't mean that you should though :rolleyes:

What? I have no idea what you're talking about.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
generik thinks that running the computer with the lid closed will cause heat damage despite the fact that is is an advertised feature by Apple. However, Apple requires you have an external keyboard mouse and monitor to do it.

Personally, I don't think the heat will be an issue. However, walking around with it on, and not asleep, is bad idea. While laptops are portable, the hard drives are still sensitive to movement when they are spinning. Also, the heat will be an issue while the computer is inside any kind of sleeve or laptop case.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
yippy said:
generik thinks that running the computer with the lid closed will cause heat damage despite the fact that is is an advertised feature by Apple. However, Apple requires you have an external keyboard mouse and monitor to do it.

Personally, I don't think the heat will be an issue. However, walking around with it on, and not asleep, is bad idea. While laptops are portable, the hard drives are still sensitive to movement when they are spinning. Also, the heat will be an issue while the computer is inside any kind of sleeve or laptop case.

I've NEVER said anything about moving it. While closed. All I want to do is close it without having to attatch something to it so I can re-start whatever task I wanted it to do.

I don't think anyone has, except the Skype guy, but that's not a smart idea.... Especially on the macbook that creates a lot of heat, In an enclosed space like a backpack, that's a recipe for a cooked Macbook, Guaranteed. At least my bedroom is airconditioned, and is getting the coolest air in the room(on the floor under my bed).

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
Your are right you didn't, but ZoomZoomZoom said something that sounded like he wanted to walk around with the MacBook on but closed in his backpack so I put that bit in about it.

The feature you want seems like a software hack that for whatever reason hasn't been done yet.

Now their is that option for bluetooth devices to wake your computer from sleep, I wonder if that would be of help to you.

bertieuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Solution!

From a terminal type

sudo pmset -a acwake 1

If you then shut the lid without the AC connected, then connect the AC, the MacBook will wake but with the lid still closed.

I needed to find a solution to shutting the lid whilst connected to my TV.

Bertie

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
dmurray14 said:

Why do you want the lid closed? I see no reason for that. And no, there is no way of making it not-go-to-sleep while closing the lid, except operating it in closed-lid mode, by plugging KB, Mouse and screen into it.

Oh, and the reason this isn't possible, is the LCD could be damaged, perhaps even melt, from the heat of the Mac.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
You do not need to hook up a monitor KB, or mouse at the same time to make it wake up with the lid close all you need is a keyboard or mouse. Hook it up to your Macbook close the lid and hit any key/button on your mouse or keyboard n it'll wake up.

For nine dollars you can make it sleep withouth extra things attched to your MB. Sleepless.

http://www.alxsoft.com/mac/sleepless.html

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
I've used the already linked program Sleepless before for this exact purpose, but Insomniax seems to work fine too and its also free... I might change in to using it instead of sleepless. Thanks for the link, WildCowboy!

rogerdpack

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
overheating

[sorry to resurrect--google took me straight here, so it's not completely dead].

I imagine overheating is only a problem if the screen stays on while the display is closed [hence clamshell mode being an option?]. So if you use insomniaX make sure to set your display to always sleep quickly (energy control panel), or remember to put the display in sleep mode (an expose corner shortcut or what not) before shutting its lid...is that enough?

Update: Have found insomniaT a good option (free) though it's a bit tricky to get it to start by default.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.