Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
How would I go about copyrighting a t-shirt design? I would like it done fairly quickly (not a 4 month wait). is this possible? Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks!

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
It was copyrighted as soon as you created it, coverage is automatic. The registration thing takes time, but it is really only needed in the event you end up in court. In short, you're fine.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
iMeowbot said:
It was copyrighted as soon as you created it, coverage is automatic. The registration thing takes time, but it is really only needed in the event you end up in court. In short, you're fine.

What do you mean? I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about how this works, etc.

The reason I ask is because I designed some t-shirts for my Mariah Carey fan club that we all wore to her concert in Atlanta, and Mariah really liked them and was interested in making them to sell as part of her tour merchandise. Her tour ends in October, so I'd have to be fairly fast. But as long as I send the registration in, I'm OK?

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Wow good luck with that must be cool to get Mariah's approval :) A bit off topic but I came runner up in a competition to win clothes she wore on tour. What a shame my voice is as low as a ton of bricks. Competition was to imitate Mariah :D

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Registration is important for recovering damages in court. The copyright, however, is already yours just by the act of creating the design. You are free to license the design or transfer the copyright using an ordinary contract right now, you don't need to wait for registration to go through.

Start here and there are many more circulars and FAQs at the copyright office.

mariahlullaby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
NYC
iMeowbot said:
Registration is important for recovering damages in court. The copyright, however, is already yours just by the act of creating the design. You are free to license the design or transfer the copyright using an ordinary contract right now, you don't need to wait for registration to go through.

Start here and there are many more circulars and FAQs at the copyright office.

Thank you for the help!! The info was great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.