Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I just wondered whats everybodys favorite Mac Magazine is and if you guys still read magazines hence the information is most of the time really outdated. I myself get most of the information from websites like Macrumors.

Cheers
LaForge

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
I embarrasingly get PC User (magazine here in Australia) sometimes has some Mac stuff. Here is my best source of info though :D

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
I like mac addict. Though, I find the humor just above juvenile at times they do have good reviews on products. I also like their Ask Us section and Unix University.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I used to/and still like Macworld, but when I started to buy it, back in 2003 it was only £3.50 (I'm pretty sure anyway). Now its £5.00! I only buy it now if I have a long travel time, i.e. I was going to buy it in Gatwick Airport for my flight in two weeks, but I may not be able to now!

mmc291

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
dbhays said:
I like mac addict. Though, I find the humor just above juvenile at times they do have good reviews on products. I also like their Ask Us section and Unix University.

Me too. I think Mac Addict is the best Mac Magazine in the States.:D MacWorld's OK but the UK version gets marked up so much at Border's and Barnes and Noble

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
CmdrLaForge said:
Do you prefer Macworld US or Macworld UK ? Is there a difference?

Well living in America macworld is $7 but macworld uk is $20 but it also has twice the material.So Macworld uk is better but it is more expensive and can be more than a month late here in miami.

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
mmc291 said:
Me too. I think Mac Addict is the best Mac Magazine in the States.:D MacWorld's OK but the UK version gets marked up so much at Border's and Barnes and Noble

Mac addict is a little pricey because it has that stupid cd and you cant look at the inside without buying it so you cant tell if it is worth it is also a smaller mag than macworld.

dbhays

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2005
Salinas, CA
zane said:
Mac addict is a little pricey because it has that stupid cd and you cant look at the inside without buying it so you cant tell if it is worth it is also a smaller mag than macworld.

There is discussion of doing away with the CD. They should just have the demos and freebies available on their website. I can't remember the last time I even put in their CD.

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
dbhays said:
There is discussion of doing away with the CD. They should just have the demos and freebies available on their website. I can't remember the last time I even put in their CD.
There was a poll in this months issue regarding the cd.

zane

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2006
XIII said:
iCreate > All

I subscribe. :)

Icreate is a greate magazine like how they put screenshots of apple.com near the back and the what if apple made this page. The problem is magazines from the uk have month old imformation once there in America.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
since buying my new mac this year I started buying some magazines.. although after reading some of them, I've come to the conclusion that all the 'hot news' and articles, etc are all ripped from web sites that offer the information for free (macrumors included)...

some of the 'hot news' stuff is ALMOST word for word off here, or some other site... what a joke.

I paid my subscription to macrumors.com so i think that will suffice from now on :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Australian Macworld is waay better than the US version. Sure, most of the stories are the same and they just edit the prices, weights, temps etc. but the print stock is thicker, the print quality is better and it just feels like a higher quality publication. And it's only A$6.95 so it's a dead-set bargain in the price department.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Chundles said:
Australian Macworld is waay better than the US version. Sure, most of the stories are the same and they just edit the prices, weights, temps etc. but the print stock is thicker, the print quality is better and it just feels like a higher quality publication. And it's only A$6.95 so it's a dead-set bargain in the price department.

I know what I'm buying tomorrow at the newsagent :D Forget my subscription to PC user!

Kane.Elson

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2006
viccles said:
I know what I'm buying tomorrow at the newsagent :D Forget my subscription to PC user!
Heh, I used to subscribe to PC User many years ago. I just felt it was getting dumber and dumber (or I was getting smarter and smarter ?). The only good bit was the "Hardware roundups" they did, they where quite handy.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
I bought an edition of iCreate the other month. Thought it was a bit rubbish really. Just seemed like a serialised manual for iLife (and some other honorable additions).

Mustafa

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Shenfield, Essex, UK
I think iCreate is pretty good if you're a switcher, thinking of switching or relatively new to the Mac. Once you're an 'expert', its value drops off, but maybe that applies to all mags. Trouble is, I can't get off the treadmill because I have them all back to no.1.

I also subscribe to MacFormat -- am I the only one? No-one else has mentioned it.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Sandman824 said:
I prefer Mac Addict but get Macworld as well. But the Mac Addict cd is pretty much usless these days.

Why do most people prefer MacAddict? I would like to subscribe to either Macworld or Macaddict - not both. How many pages does each one have?

Cheers
LaForge

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.