Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I taught myself how to make my first icon today.
My dad has this external hard drive and he has a mac mini icon for his mac mini, so I thought it would be cool for him to have the picture of his external drive for that icon. I searched and couldn't find any premade that matched, so I thought I'd learn to make my own.

Started with an image from google and used Elements 2.0. I'm a novice at this stuff so it took me a bit, but it was fun. The hardest part was getting rid of all the white stuff around the edges. I used the magnetic lasso tool and had to do a couple of passes. Does anyone have better suggestions on how to do that?

anyhow, I just wanted some feedback to see what you guys think of my first attempt. Thanks

WD.png

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Never used Elements.. I have CS. I use the magic erasor.. work like a charm. Most of the time:p

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
I find the fastest and safest way is to create a layer mask and mask off waht you need to get rid of. Then if you make a mistake its as easy as painting over that section in white.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
That's what I do too.

bwanac said:
I find the fastest and safest way is to create a layer mask and mask off waht you need to get rid of. Then if you make a mistake its as easy as painting over that section in white.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
dogbone said:
Looks fine, but it bugs me a bit that it is falling over.

I tried rotating it a bit, but then the feet look like they are at an angle and I think it looks worse. Anyone have ideas to correct this?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
sahnert said:
I tried rotating it a bit, but then the feet look like they are at an angle and I think it looks worse. Anyone have ideas to correct this?

yer dad has one of these, yea? Why not just take your own pic of the thing and work from there? I don't think you'll be able to fix the "falling over" thing from the pic you've used...the perspective on that photo just makes it look that way. Not much you can do about it, really.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
sahnert said:

Skew and Rotate in PS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.