Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Hey Everyone,

When I first got my mac, the one thing I absolutely Hated was clutter on my desktop. When I switched from Windows to *NIX and the Mac platform, I also decided to switch from a cluttered desktop full of downloaded files and junk that would get downloaded to my desktop as I surfed the web, to having a method to keep everything organized, as well as something that I would never have to manually clean up.

So I went off and bought a book on AppleScript, and whipped up a script that will do this. I have all my browsers set to save downloads into a directory, and this script runs on startup. It takes all the contents of the folder and moves them into the trash.

It's a nice little script, and I'd like to share it with everyone, and would like to maybe get some input from everyone and have it get improved, in the spirit of free software.

The thing is, who is interested in it, or am I totally late on something like this?

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
So say I download 15 files off the web, they go into this download folder.

Then I update my Mac, and need to restart, so I do that.

Then upon start up, my downloads get moved to the trash. :confused:

I just set firefox to download everything to a specific downloads folder. I never save anything on the desktop from the web. A wallpaper will go in my wallpapers folder, an app in the downloads folder, etc.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I set everything to go to the Desktop, so then I don't forget about them, and then move them somewhere else if I'm keeping the file. Kind of like my to-do list for files ;)

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Most of the things that I download are DMG files or other things that on average, are downloaded and not kept long term, so the ratio of files that I download and keep is significantly lower than files I download, do what I need to do with, and then dispose of (such as disk images).

I just hate a cluttered desktop, I would rather it have a few folders of things that I am working on and all my mounted volumes, instead of being littered with DMG files, and safari droppings

Not exactly the positive response I was looking for, I have to say so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.