Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hello again, faithful Mac programming community! :D I'm trying to add update functionality to my app, but can't seem to get the Sparkle framework to work in my app! I've followed the directions to the T, but when I build I get 3 warnings and 1 error... The warnings are...

Code:
warning -F: directory name (/Users/Craig/Documents/Cocoa) does not exist
warning -F: directory name (Programs/My) does not exist
warning -F: directory name (Programs/iProcrastinate) does not exist

and the error is...

Code:
Command /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1

I'm assuming the error spawns from the warnings? I followed the documentation that came with the framework, but I've never linked against any frameworks before, so I was mostly following blindly. (Though I've done it multiple times, re-read the directions, and still can't figure it out!) Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how'd you fix it? :(

Edit: Figured I could link to the site of the framework for reference... Here

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
XCode has serious issues with paths containing spaces when specifying extra directories to link to. Try putting everything in paths without spaces. I have tried quoting the paths, escaping the spaces, everything. In the end I gave up and renamed the directories to not have spaces.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I pretty much got Sparkle to work by following the instructions. But if you've got the sparkle framework in a directory that has a space anywhere in it's path, xCode will throw a wobbler - I know, I downloaded it and put the dl in a directory called 'Sparkle Framework' :rolleyes:

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You'll have to edit the framework path setting in the Build tab in your target's Get Info window and put the entire thing in quotes, but even then it may not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.