Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
I need somewhere free to host my website (Not anything professional just a little one about me) Can anyone reccomend anywhere?

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
x704 said:
Your own computer :)
I wouldn't recommend that for three reasons:

1) Most people have slow upstream speeds;
2) You need to make sure your computer is on 24/7/365;
3) Many ISPs do not allow you to run servers on their connections.

I'm not sure about recommendations for free hosting myself. I've always though it to be a waste of time when you can get a pretty decent hosting plan for $30 or so per year.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
If you want to design your own small site, A Small Orange is a great host with a $25 per year plan. If you just want to put up some info about yourself and a few photos, Blogger is a simple, free way to do that.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
AmbitiousLemon might be what you're looking for, if you're either a charity, student, artist, or freeware developer. I know that they weren't accepting new applicants for free websites as of a few months ago, but I see nothing on their site at the moment that indicates such.

Personally, I use NearlyFreeSpeech to host my private domain. It's a pay-as-you-go service, except for the $7/year fee for having your own domain. If you choose to host exclusively off their NSF domain, I don't think you even need to pay that.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
elfin buddy said:
AmbitiousLemon might be what you're looking for, if you're either a charity, student, artist, or freeware developer. I know that they weren't accepting new applicants for free websites as of a few months ago, but I see nothing on their site at the moment that indicates such.

Personally, I use NearlyFreeSpeech to host my private domain. It's a pay-as-you-go service, except for the $7/year fee for having your own domain. If you choose to host exclusively off their NSF domain, I don't think you even need to pay that.

We aren't accepting applications right now.

But I would second the recommendation for NearlyFreeSpeech. They have a unique way of charging where you pay a retainer then get charged only for what you use (rather than purchasing a plan that is much larger than what you expect to use). A small site such as yours would likely cost less than a penny a day, perhaps even as low as a penny a month.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
AmbitiousLemon said:
We aren't accepting applications right now.

Aha, thanks for fielding that one, haha ;)

AmbitiousLemon said:
But I would second the recommendation for NearlyFreeSpeech. They have a unique way of charging where you pay a retainer then get charged only for what you use (rather than purchasing a plan that is much larger than what you expect to use). A small site such as yours would likely cost less than a penny a day, perhaps even as low as a penny a month.

Yesir, they really do provide a great service. I particularly love how un-flashy their site is. Simple, to-the-point. Also makes it easy to open sub-sites of your own domain, should you choose to get one. I'm hosting WordPress blogs for several of my friends off my domain as well...all a piece of cake :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
theappleguy said:
I wouldn't recommend that for three reasons:
1) Most people have slow upstream speeds;
This wouldn't really matter for a low traffic personal site.
theappleguy said:
2) You need to make sure your computer is on 24/7/365;
If its a Mac, this isn't a problem :)
theappleguy said:
3) Many ISPs do not allow you to run servers on their connections.
While many have policies, some don't. I would even venture to guess that most don't even care unless you are maxing out the pipe on a shared Cable connection.

If your savvy and have lots of spare time, it doesn't hurt to run your own webserver. If not, I would recommend Surpass Hosting - although their rates have climbed recently, the service was outstanding and fast!

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
kingjr3 said:
This wouldn't really matter for a low traffic personal site.

If its a Mac, this isn't a problem :)

While many have policies, some don't. I would even venture to guess that most don't even care unless you are maxing out the pipe on a shared Cable connection.

If your savvy and have lots of spare time, it doesn't hurt to run your own webserver. If not, I would recommend Surpass Hosting - although their rates have climbed recently, the service was outstanding and fast!

The biggest problem I've had with trying to host a website from my own PowerBook is that it puts itself to sleep rather frequently (I know I can change this), and that I often close it up to take it somewhere with me. I don't think hosting from your own computer is as feasible for laptop users as it is for desktop users, for obvious reasons :)

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
elfin buddy said:
The biggest problem I've had with trying to host a website from my own PowerBook is that it puts itself to sleep rather frequently (I know I can change this), and that I often close it up to take it somewhere with me. I don't think hosting from your own computer is as feasible for laptop users as it is for desktop users, for obvious reasons :)

Sorry. Guess I should have stated if you are going to host from your home, use a dedicated machine...I didn't mean to infer using your everday machine or a laptop to host a website...Thats just silly.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I've actually had really good results with Yahoo. Their prices are really good per bandwidth and they almost never have downtime. The only problems I've had with them are with Wordpress blogs, which they keep messing up the database (though they do fix it eventually). The nice thing about the yahoo hosting is you have access to everything through their Web site. You can even use their web site building software (which I havent ried out) or edit raw html through their Web site.

wedgeantilles

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
The free tier of AWS (Amazon Web Services). Everything you need to get a small site up and running and complete control.

sonofjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
If you just want to put up some info about yourself and a few photos, Blogger is a simple, free way to do that.

also along the simple, free and easy route would be Wordpress or Tumblr.

but if you need hosting, I can't stop gushing about HostGator.

Last edited:

KriKit

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2013
I need somewhere free to host my website (Not anything professional just a little one about me) Can anyone reccomend anywhere?

Do you need to host dynamic code like PHP? Are you going to use a CMS or is it just going to be static HTML pages?

sonofjay

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
You can host in wordpress...it would be better than blogger...it is free one too...

don't pay for hosting when you don't have to (especially for a personal blog) . . . so wordpress, blogger, tumblr should be fine for 99% of people.

if you want to get fancy, then buy a domain name and have it forward to your blog on any of those sites.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.