Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the wake of Dell's recall of 4.1 million Lithium Ion batteries and multiple embarassing incidents of both Dell and Apple laptops catching fire, AppleInsider is reporting that Apple, Dell, and Lenovo will be holding a summit next month to develop lithium ion (Li-Ion) standards. All 3 companies are members of the IPC OEM Critical Components Committee which create standards for various electronic devices.

"Without a doubt, standardization can and will address the issue of operation and safety called into question by the use of lithium ion batteries.," said John Grosso, chairman of the IPC OEM Critical Components Committee and director of supplier engineering and quality at Dell. "While the Committee had identified lithium ion batteries as the next product for standardization, we are going to accelerate our activities now."

Grosso said the IPC Committee will identify any current standards related to lithium ion batteries with the goal of standardizing design, performance and safety requirements for these batteries.

Apple has historically used Li-Ion batteries in its iBook and PowerBook laptops, but has opted for Lithium Polymer batteries (Li-Poly) in its MacBook and MacBook Pro computers. One of the apparent advantages of Li-Poly batteries is reduced combustability. Apple still uses Li-Ion batteries in its current model iPods however.

Digg This

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
I hope Sony is also in attendance. They should really pick up the bill for all of this battery b/s. As much as I dislike Dell products, their reputation (and bank balance) has taken a pounding in the consumer eye all because Sony messed up.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
AlBDamned said:
I hope Sony is also in attendance. They should really pick up the bill for all of this battery b/s. As much as I dislike Dell products, their reputation (and bank balance) has taken a pounding in the consumer eye all because Sony messed up.

label me ignorant but what did sony do exactly?

GodBless

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2005
The MacBook Pro had its MagSafe (MagUnsafe that is ;) ) fire problem.

apple_firebook.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this problem was corrected prior to the MacBook's release but I'm not so sure if you can be guaranteed that a fire cannot be caused by MagSafe again.

aly

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2006
Scotland
Standards

I'm surprised these standards were not already in place to be honest! The chemicals used in Li-ion batteries are indeed very combustible. Anyone ever seen lithium when placed in water? Its explosive and quite exciting to watch. I'm not entirely surprised weve seen such problems with companies trying to get as much power out of batteries as possible yet keeping sizes down. To answer someones question above, the batteries were produced by sony, and to answer another, standards generally means internal workings such as acceptable heat output, ability to cope with short circuits etc, to avoid these problems happening again.

I'm just glad i haven't had any problems and my lap is still intact!!

Aly

slackersonly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
This is very good news.

1. The big boys are not acting like boys and going it alone again.
2. This should drive up quality and down prices.
3. It should free up resources for true development like lifespan, weight, etc
4. It reminds me that Apple is committed to top notch hardware as well as software.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
BornAgainMac said:
That image [MagSafe] was the Cat Pee issue. I remember that thread a long time ago.

I remember the magsafe catching fire, but I dont remember anything about cat pee! Could you fill me in??

Thanks.

On topic... I think it's pretty good news, and Dell and Apple working together... gosh :rolleyes:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
jmsait19 said:
label me ignorant but what did sony do exactly?

It's Sony batteries that are blowing up, not Dell batteries.

What's worse is that both companies knew of the problem in 2005, before anything actually spontaneously combusted.

As this engadget article says, it's lucky for both companies that nobody was seriously injured or killed.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
AlBDamned said:
It's Sony batteries that are blowing up, not Dell batteries.

What's worse is that both companies knew of the problem in 2005, before anything actually spontaneously combusted.

As this engadget article says, it's lucky for both companies that nobody was seriously injured or killed.

Yes, Sony has issues too, but Dell has had more than one Inspiron blow up on them, so it is innaccurate to say that Dell batteries are not blowing up.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
Way off topic: I wonder how many people have commited suicide because of the frustration of Microsoft! You'd think of the what....3 billion people that use computers one would have had to!

On Topic: Why would Apple need to attend? I thought that was the point of switching to the new batteries that the MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
longofest said:
Yes, Sony has issues too, but Dell has had more than one Inspiron blow up on them, so it is innaccurate to say that Dell batteries are not blowing up.

But aren't all the batteries in all the laptops in question (Dell, Apple etc) ultimately made by Sony?

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Oryan said:
So by "standardizing design" do they mean "interchangeable"? Or is it just a common internal design?

Because the shape of the battery in laptops, camcorders, mp3 players & other battery powered items it would be hard to make them easily replaceable. Could you imagine Apple making their PoerBook or IntelMacBook Pro thicker because the larger group in the laptop area says or got it passed that laptop batteries would be 7/8' or maybe even 1" thick. Or would the thicker laptops in the Windows areana accept the thin batteris that Apple uses. Even Apple, which designs, but does not build, their laptops have a different battery for each size of screen. Someimes they change the battery within that category. Like the PowerBook to the Intel PowerBook Pro. Same case, but they use a diferent battery.

This wuld lead us to believe that they are just talking about just a common internal design. This I'm sure would help reliability, to help our laptops perform better & more safely. Interchangable would make things easier for the end user, like using you battery from your 17" PowerBook in your 17" Core 2 Duo, or maybe even something like a Core 4 Duo. Even greater wuld be if you could bring your extra batteries from you Windows laptop to your new Intel MacBook Pro when you decide to upgrade platforms as well as computer.

Bill the TaxMan

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
AlBDamned said:
But aren't all the batteries in all the laptops in question (Dell, Apple etc) ultimately made by Sony?
yeah, the cells are, but the charging system, which was blamed in Dell's case, was not a Sony thing: it was Dell.

but i think there was a big element of pointing fingers.

i rekon independant enquiry, and find out what's to blame. if it's the cells, then charge sony. if not, charge dell. simple.

edcrosay

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2005
markkk! said:
Way off topic: I wonder how many people have commited suicide because of the frustration of Microsoft! You'd think of the what....3 billion people that use computers one would have had to!

On Topic: Why would Apple need to attend? I thought that was the point of switching to the new batteries that the MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Because they still use Li-ion batteries in iPods.

kozmic stu

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2006
England
longofest said:

Actually it's entirely accurate to say that Dell batteries are not blowing up - every one of the batteries that have been recalled were made by Sony, not Dell. The fact that they were in Dell laptops at the time does not make them DEll batteries

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
About time some companies sat down and worked out some quality control standards for batteries. 'Specially Li-Ion, with their potential to go boom.

I do find it moderately amusing that there were complaints all over the place about Apple's poor quality control or whatever after some of their new batteries didn't perform well (not explode, mind you, just not performing well), and I specifically read several things pointing to Dell as an example of a company that didn't have battery problems. Then Dell issues a recall of 4 million batteries because they're specifically a hazard.

Point not being that Apple is without flaw, but that everybody has trouble with batteries from time to time, and "my MacBook won't accept a full charge" isn't quite the same as "my Inspiron blew up". Plus the numbers are an order of magnitude larger--Apple's recall consisted of 100K or 200K batteries, right?

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
aly said:
Anyone ever seen lithium when placed in water? Its explosive and quite exciting to watch.
Try caesium or francium ;) .

Disclaimer: don't.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
well. i just hope they manage to work it out so no one out here, like us. every have to worry about our batteries, aside from battery life.

though if they could get rid of batteries limited recharge life, that would be awesome.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
AlBDamned said:
I hope not. Their record in collaborations like this is dismal. Better that the others come up with something and just send the specs to Sony to make the batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.