Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm taking a database admin class, and of course, as usual, the school doesn't give a flying f**k about Mac users. So, does anyone know of an Oracle DB client? Don't need the server, they provide that, but I need a client (command line-ish. Gotta write my own queries, no nice GUI unfortinately)

Thanks

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
louiek said:
I may be misreading your post, but if you're happy with just a command-line then why not install the 10g database on your mac and use sqlplus from the terminal window.

Unless I downloaded the wrong one, it says its only supported on OSX server

louiek

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2006
Knutters Knoll, Melbourne
Correct, it's only supported on the server, but it installs and runs just fine on a mac with Panther or higher. I had it running very nicely on my powerbook G4 under Panther, isqlplus, dbca, em the whole lot. I've had some minor troubles installing it under Tiger since, but I was going to give that another go today. There's a few blogs lying around that point you in the right direction, but I found this site the most helpful:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/rohrer_macosx_10g.html

Best of luck, it's not for the feint hearted, but neither's oracle.

Monkaaay

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
Richmond, VA
So I got it all installed and connected and it's actually a really nice application. Something Oracle has needed for years!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.